PDA

View Full Version : I'm stumped.

johnlanguab
08-31-2011, 12:35 PM
So, my boat was being erratic when cranking. It wouldn't consistently engage the starter. I would wiggle the throttle around and it would start. Otherwise, nothing. Here's what I've checked:
- Neutral safety switch works, I even bypassed it for good measure.
- Ground wire removed, sanded, and re-connected.
- Starter works when shorted out on the solenoid. Even cranks if the switch is turned to the "on" position.

There is slight movement in the voltmeter when I turn the key to the crank position.

If it matters, its an Indmar 454.

I was fishing for ideas... Also, where is the main harness plug that would control this sort of thing?

Thanks, in advance.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Would it make any noise when it failed to engage the starter? A loud click and then nothing? Are all of your gauges remaining normal even when it does this. I had a similar issue but it was a ground wire that needed replacing. It would just click loudly and my guages would also go dead.

johnlanguab
08-31-2011, 01:27 PM
I know the voltage gauge wouldn't completely fail. I might need to go ahead and replace the ground wire. I know strange things happen when you get a bad ground...

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Mine looked good on both ends but after I replaced it I stripped down a section in the insulation and it looked horrible. If it's an older boat I would go ahead and replace it just for good measure.

91.Maristar.240
08-31-2011, 03:41 PM
i have a 91 maristar 240 with an indmar 454-HO that was doing the exact same thing...
the previous owner took it to 3 different boat dealers that could never figure it out....
i had my marine mechanic that helps me with anything i feel is over my head look at it and couldn't figure it out either after about an hour and a half with a volt meter....
he ended up putting a 40 amp relay inline and it starts right on time every time since.
it was the weirdest thing i had a little jumper wire i would use incase it happened which was about 1 out of every 10 starts and sometimes more often than that.

johnlanguab
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
How strange. I may be doing the same thing! Do you know where the main harness plug is? I thought it might be corroded or a loose connection. Thats about all I can think if that is left to check now... If that doesn't work I may be replacing a ground wire and adding a relay switch :)

91.Maristar.240
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
How strange. I may be doing the same thing! Do you know where the main harness plug is? I thought it might be corroded or a loose connection. Thats about all I can think if that is left to check now... If that doesn't work I may be replacing a ground wire and adding a relay switch :)

The main harness is right by the distribution block kinda looks like 2 4 flat trailer harness stacked on top of each other. i thought the same thing at first wasn't loose or corroded.
add the relay it solved the problem for sure!