PDA

View Full Version : Excessive vibration

DLewis
08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I was running long at about 2500 rpm and an excessive vibration started shaking the boat (95 Maristar). I shut it down checked the prop/rudder - everthing was fine. Started up again and it was smooth as ever - no problems. When I pulled the boat out of the water I found some yellow nylon pieces stuck to the prop nut and one arm of the cotter pin was broken off. Appears I hit some nylon rope. Because of the short period of bad vibration is there anything I need to check before I put it back in the water?

G-man
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about it as long as all the line is gone.

ski_king
08-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Replace the cotterpin?

bigmac
08-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I was running long at about 2500 rpm and an excessive vibration started shaking the boat (95 Maristar). I shut it down checked the prop/rudder - everthing was fine. Started up again and it was smooth as ever - no problems. When I pulled the boat out of the water I found some yellow nylon pieces stuck to the prop nut and one arm of the cotter pin was broken off. Appears I hit some nylon rope. Because of the short period of bad vibration is there anything I need to check before I put it back in the water?

Should be fine. Another reason to own an inboard. My buddy wrapped some of that stuff up in his I/O, which damaged the seals. All his drive lube leaked out and fried the drive before he know about it. $2000 repair bill.

ski_king
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
But if you do wrap a rope around the prop/shaft, it can be difficult on a inboard as you have to dive to get to it, at least a I/O or outboard can be lifted out of the water to make it easier to remove.

BriEOD
08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
That would be why I keep a diver's mask and sharp knife on board.

G-man
08-01-2005, 06:43 PM
I know some of you will say "DUH" to this idea but 4 times I have seen people untangling lines caught in the propeller. A mask and knife helps a bunch but if you remove the platform you can reach almost everything without to much diving under the boat.