PDA

View Full Version : 98 prostar lt1 engine check light

duggs
08-30-2011, 01:01 AM
working my way through my new second hand boats issues. haven't had the boat in the water as yet, still working on it. replaced t/stats, idle speed contoller (jammed open- had 1500rpm idle speed). engine is running nice on the trailer but the engine check light is on. I'm assuming it activated from one of the above problems. is there a way to reset the light without being done by a scan tool, or would a mechanic with a GM scan tool be able to do it, is the boat ecm the same as a car - thanks

bret
08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
an OBDII scanner should read what the fault is and might be able to reset it with a little better unit, usually under $60 US for a decent one.

http://www.obd-codes.com/sitemap.php

wtrskr
08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure if the ECM code system is the same as the TBI's?

If it is, you can reset the error codes/check engine light with just a small paper clip. Turn the key to the "on" position engine "off". Find the connector where a scanner would connect to. Make a U shape out of your paper clip and insert one end into terminal A and the other into terminal B. Your dash should start to flash your error codes. At first it will flash the number 12 three times (flash - pause - flash, flash). Then it will flash the error codes if any.

To reset - slowly move the throttle to the 100% forward position then back to neutral. It should then go back to flashing just the number 12 meaning you cleared the error codes.

Hopefully someone will confirm if it is the same for the LT1 as the TBI.

duggs
08-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if the ECM code system is the same as the TBI's?

If it is, you can reset the error codes/check engine light with just a small paper clip. Turn the key to the "on" position engine "off". Find the connector where a scanner would connect to. Make a U shape out of your paper clip and insert one end into terminal A and the other into terminal B. Your dash should start to flash your error codes. At first it will flash the number 12 three times (flash - pause - flash, flash). Then it will flash the error codes if any.

To reset - slowly move the throttle to the 100% forward position then back to neutral. It should then go back to flashing just the number 12 meaning you cleared the error codes.

Hopefully someone will confirm if it is the same for the LT1 as the TBI.

thanks for that guys, will try to find that plug and give it a go

wtrskr
08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
The plug for mine isn't near the ECM like you'd guess so don't be suprised if yours isn't either. My ECM is mounted on the front of the engine and the connector hangs off the right rear of the engine.

The connector has a cover that you take off and it should have 2 rows of 5 terminals all labeled with letters (A-J). The letters are pretty small but with a flashlight you should be able to see them on both the cover and on the connector itself.

Good luck.

tommcat
08-30-2011, 06:36 PM
an OBDII scanner should read what the fault is and might be able to reset it with a little better unit, usually under $60 US for a decent one.

http://www.obd-codes.com/sitemap.php

the boat is not OBDII. and secondly, any scanner that costs 60 bucks is nothing but an overpriced paperweight.

duggs
08-30-2011, 06:37 PM
The plug for mine isn't near the ECM like you'd guess so don't be suprised if yours isn't either. My ECM is mounted on the front of the engine and the connector hangs off the right rear of the engine.

The connector has a cover that you take off and it should have 2 rows of 5 terminals all labeled with letters (A-J). The letters are pretty small but with a flashlight you should be able to see them on both the cover and on the connector itself.

Good luck.

I'm wondering whether its viable to have an imported boat as we've not been using efi engines in our boats for that long, and certainly not the lt1 vintage. my only source of info is from you guys and i really do appreciate the help from forum members

duggs
09-01-2011, 06:39 PM
update : fitted the paper clip, was fiddling around trying to figure out which was the pos on the led globe( lit up momentarily and then blew) and to my surprise the engine check light was out, without moving the throttle , go figure, all good for now thanks again for the help

duggs
09-01-2011, 11:38 PM
just thinking about it whilst daydreaming at work, i think the check light didn't come on at all, so maybe i've blown that globe!

wtrskr
09-02-2011, 03:51 PM
just thinking about it whilst daydreaming at work, i think the check light didn't come on at all, so maybe i've blown that globe!

Is globe the Australian way of saying light bulb? I'd give it another try.

Make sure you turn your key to the right so your radio and dash guages are on but not far enough that you start the engine. At least with mine, you can tell right away when the paperclip is inserted correctly into the A and B terminals because the you will hear a noise. I beleive the noise comes form the IAC? My boat doesn't have a "check engine" light but if yours does, I beleive it will flash the codes.

It is an easy process so in my opinion it is a worthwhile check to make sure everything is operating correctly. If it were me I wouldn't quit until I saw the number 12 flashing and no other numbers.