PDA

View Full Version : '02 X-Star: Oil Dipstick Handle Broke Off

quallsdw
08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
So while installing a new alternator and belt associated with it, I accidentally broke off the handle of my oil dipstick... then proceeded to push the remaining stick even further down while trying to fish it out with some needlenose plyers.

Any suggestions from anyone? Google is giving me some suggestions, like seeing if the entire tube can be removed to then push the stick back out... or screwing a narrow wood screw or something into the top of the stick that is left and then pulling it out that way. I don't know if I can do that though without pushing it even further down the tube though.

Has this happened to anyone specifically here? I haven't looked at the connection from the tube to the oil pan or engine block to see if I can remove that easily. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Don't do anything with a dowel. You will just end up with wood pieces in your oil pan. Removing the dipstick tube will be the answer. I'm a ford engine guy so I don't have the specifics, but it will either be threaded in or bolted in place. Someone will be by with the right answer.