PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt keeps easing off the alternator pully. '97 LT1??

flya750
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I replaced the serpentine belt a year or so ago (first belt lasted 13 years.) This year I'm hearing a squeaking noise in the belt area. I initially thought the noise was due to the extra load I was pulling this year...one of those 3-4 passenger HO tubes. The new tube puts an extra load on the boat. So I figured that extra load was causing my belt to squeak?

Anyway, not only do I hear the squeaking, I'm having a problem with the serpentine belt sliding off the pullies? Either the alternator pulley or the crank pulley... It's easy to put the belt back on but I have to watch for it every few minutes of running?

I don't see anyway to adjust the tension? Any thoughts? The boat is a '97 PS190 w/LT1..

Thanks...

toolz
08-28-2011, 11:16 PM
The belt doesn't care what you tow- it's job is to spin the pulleys, not the prop. If your belt is coming off, you have an alignment problem with the pulleys. Look closely at the alternator and the belt tensioner- one of them is probably not running straight. Possibly a broken bracket or the tensioner spring going bad.

flya750
08-29-2011, 10:34 AM
ahh... okay.. so the tensioner pulley could be going bad.. I will check out the alignment.. Thanks!