PDA

View Full Version : 3 remotes on CMD5?

tdrr
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I know the manual says 2 max, but any chance 3 will work with 2 Y's, or is the harness specifically wired for 2? I'd like to have a control in the observer's seat (2008 X-2), so choices are (a) add a CMRC2 there with a second Y, (b) add the remote and just disable the transom remote which we hardly use, (c) figure out some way to add a switch between the remotes, (d) (e) (f) ???

Justjoe
08-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I've been thinking of adding another as well. I'm planning on putting a remote up in the bow.

DemolitionMan
08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I've been thinking of adding another as well. I'm planning on putting a remote up in the bow.

That is a good idea, let me know if it works.

tr6coug
08-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, you can use 3. You can have only 1 remote with a display though. You will need 2 Y cables.

EarmarkMarine
08-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Large cruisers can often have difficulty with three remotes because they may have to run double extensions to get to the transom. But in the relatively short distances of a towboat I really don't see an issue with three. I would however use both of my 'Y' adapters directly behind the HU rather than using a division off the back of the helm remote...just to be safe.

David
Earmark Marine