PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump

Lumbergh
08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
The bilge pump in my 1991 PS sounds a bit sick. Seems to pump ok, but I am going to replace it as PM this fall.

It looks like it has two wires and is wired in series with float switch.

a) How do I go about replacing it and
b) what pump to use

TIA-

Lumbergh

kstumpenhorst
08-28-2011, 09:33 PM
I got a new pump and float at walmart. $50 I think and it works great. "save money live better"

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Ummm yeah I got one at academy, now I got a meeting.... Its simple to replace, http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1004 now where's my stapler:)

Appling77
06-28-2012, 12:12 AM
The bilge pump in my 1991 PS sounds a bit sick. Seems to pump ok, but I am going to replace it as PM this fall.

It looks like it has two wires and is wired in series with float switch.

a) How do I go about replacing it and
b) what pump to use

TIA-

Lumbergh

Does yours have the manual and auto switch together on the dash? My bilge works fine on manual I'm just not sure if the auto works.

Lumbergh
06-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I replaced it long ago, bought one from Amazon.

A RULE brand, works with float switch in same compartment.

Yes, have the two way switch, on and auto.

Amazon is WAYYYY cheaper than anyone else I could find for pump. It was not exact part that was in there, but removed old and installed new. Pretty simple job all in all. The wiring is what takes the time.

Appling77
06-28-2012, 01:14 AM
But since ours have the auto option if my bilge is working good the auto should work right?

d2jp
06-28-2012, 07:43 AM
But since ours have the auto option if my bilge is working good the auto should work right?

Set it to 'auto' - flip up the float switch and listen for the pump to run. If I have to leave my boat in the water for several days, I sleep better at night after I've checked the float switch.

mikeg205
06-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I like the sahara from atwood - you can even get it at walmart...lol

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Sahara-750-Automatic-Bilge-Pump-12-VDC/14150751

Lumbergh
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

It works in ON or AUTO. Easy to test, ON it will run, in AUTO - lift the float switch and it will run, off when the float is down.

The hardest part of the job is unbundling the wires and figuring out what goes where, but it is pretty straightforward.

gotta_ski
06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Anyone else rewire their bilge switch so that the auto function is always energized? My boat lives in the water and I'm not comfortable with the idea that it could be left without the bilge able to go on. Mastercraft is the only boat I've seen that has the ability to turn off the auto bilge and I'm not really sure why.

Appling77
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
It works in ON or AUTO. Easy to test, ON it will run, in AUTO - lift the float switch and it will run, off when the float is down.

The hardest part of the job is unbundling the wires and figuring out what goes where, but it is pretty straightforward.

Mine just says automatic bilge on top but I couldn't find a flap or anything to lift up.

Kell
06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Anyone else rewire their bilge switch so that the auto function is always energized? My boat lives in the water and I'm not comfortable with the idea that it could be left without the bilge able to go on. Mastercraft is the only boat I've seen that has the ability to turn off the auto bilge and I'm not really sure why.

On my 09 x2, my bilge pumps work with the bilge switch off and the battery switch off as well. I tested it last year before I left the boat at the lake for a week. Not sure this will be the same for your year and model.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

Appling77
06-29-2012, 12:00 AM
I have a 91. I have a switch on the dash that says auto or man or off. I just don't know if the auto works. I just bought another one on amazon. I leave my boat at the slip so I'm a little nervous. Lol

setidball
06-29-2012, 12:06 AM
I have a 91. I have a switch on the dash that says auto or man or off. I just don't know if the auto works. I just bought another one on amazon. I leave my boat at the slip so I'm a little nervous. Lol

Ditto. I just leave mine in "auto" all the time.

03geetee
06-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Ditto. I just leave mine in "auto" all the time.

This unless its on the trailer, dont want it running with no water in the bilge.

JTR

setidball
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
This unless its on the trailer, dont want it running with no water in the bilge.

JTR

It has a float switch, so in "auto" mode, it only runs if there is water in the bilge.

piper_chuck
06-30-2012, 09:59 PM
It has a float switch, so in "auto" mode, it only runs if there is water in the bilge.
Unless the float switch malfunctions and is always on, like mine. In cases like this it's nice to be able to shut off auto rather than burning up the pump. I happened across this thread looking for info on the float switch.

03geetee
07-01-2012, 07:31 AM

Understandable but if with out water that float will bounce up and down with the trailer moving, I dont want my pump clicking on an off 100 times during a 4hr tow home.

Thats all.

JTR