PDA

View Full Version : Steering broken.

Wakeboy
08-28-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a 1990 MC PS 190 with 590 hours. Yesterday when making a hard starboard turn to retrieve a downed boarder I heard and felt a "snap" then had no steering, the rudder was full to starboard. There was a piece of greasy cable sticking out of the long tube attached to the steering mechanism under the dash. It retracted when I turned the wheel, which will stop turning to starboard, but just keeps turning to port. Where do I start? Broken cable? Broken/damaged steering mechanism? Take it all out for inspection?

I searched the forum for "steering" and got no results??

Thanks,
Doug

PS God bless the Sheriff's boat that towed us back to the dock- they we're great. Though they did decide to do a safety inspection to "kill time" on the slow trip back. (Passed 100%:)).

André
08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
There was a piece of greasy cable sticking out of the long tube attached to the steering mechanism under the dash... Broken cable? .

I'd say yes!
Order and replace.

oldairboater
08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Cable broke. Skidim Monday for a new one.

Deanhamel
08-28-2011, 02:39 PM
A similar thing happened to me with my 84 S&S 3 years ago. I ended up replacing the whole steering mechanism. For the 84 I had to modify the dash to accomodate the new components. I was a little uneasy about doing it but it turned out great. Be sure you get the right length cable. I took the old one out and measured it to be sure.

This is what I needed:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UFLROTECHKIT15

The steering has been fantastic since then. Happy I did it.

Good luck!

Wakeboy
08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Pulled the cable. Very stiff, you pull on one end and the other doesn't move-- guess that's pretty definitive. I'm sure its not supposed to work that way! Rudder moves smoothly as does the steering wheel. The break was mid point somewhere- it was so stiff I couldn't pull it all the way out. Emailed this pic to Skidim and will call them in the morning for correct replacement. As always, thanks for the great help.
Doug

FrankSchwab
08-29-2011, 01:52 AM
If your cable was that bad, you're going to think you have power steering when you get the new one.

Wakeboy
09-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Got a new cable from Skidim (love those guys). Install is pretty straightforward- just a lot stuff to remove first: helm seat, engine cover, rear floor... Tying a cord on the old cable as a guide for installing the new one is a big help. Nothing I tried got the steering wheel straight, I just popped off the center cap with the "MC" and repositioned it so it's read correctly when going straight-- works for me-- I just need to know the rudder is straight when pulling someone up.

As for performance-- wow. Like power steering indeed! But not only that-- I realized my steering cable was so stiff and gunked-up, it was not moving to full lock in either direction so now my turning radius is significantly shorter-- so I not only got power steering, but sports car response too!

Thanks for everyone's help,
Doug

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2011, 02:00 AM
Good deal all the way around. I had pretty much the same situation when I changed my helm and cable last spring.