View Full Version : Steering broken.

08-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I have a 1990 MC PS 190 with 590 hours. Yesterday when making a hard starboard turn to retrieve a downed boarder I heard and felt a "snap" then had no steering, the rudder was full to starboard. There was a piece of greasy cable sticking out of the long tube attached to the steering mechanism under the dash. It retracted when I turned the wheel, which will stop turning to starboard, but just keeps turning to port. Where do I start? Broken cable? Broken/damaged steering mechanism? Take it all out for inspection?

I searched the forum for "steering" and got no results??

PS God bless the Sheriff's boat that towed us back to the dock- they we're great. Though they did decide to do a safety inspection to "kill time" on the slow trip back. (Passed 100%:)).

08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
There was a piece of greasy cable sticking out of the long tube attached to the steering mechanism under the dash... Broken cable? .

I'd say yes!
Order and replace.

08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Cable broke. Skidim Monday for a new one.

08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
A similar thing happened to me with my 84 S&S 3 years ago. I ended up replacing the whole steering mechanism. For the 84 I had to modify the dash to accomodate the new components. I was a little uneasy about doing it but it turned out great. Be sure you get the right length cable. I took the old one out and measured it to be sure.

This is what I needed:

The steering has been fantastic since then. Happy I did it.

Good luck!

08-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Pulled the cable. Very stiff, you pull on one end and the other doesn't move-- guess that's pretty definitive. I'm sure its not supposed to work that way! Rudder moves smoothly as does the steering wheel. The break was mid point somewhere- it was so stiff I couldn't pull it all the way out. Emailed this pic to Skidim and will call them in the morning for correct replacement. As always, thanks for the great help.

08-29-2011, 12:52 AM
If your cable was that bad, you're going to think you have power steering when you get the new one.

09-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Got a new cable from Skidim (love those guys). Install is pretty straightforward- just a lot stuff to remove first: helm seat, engine cover, rear floor... Tying a cord on the old cable as a guide for installing the new one is a big help. Nothing I tried got the steering wheel straight, I just popped off the center cap with the "MC" and repositioned it so it's read correctly when going straight-- works for me-- I just need to know the rudder is straight when pulling someone up.

As for performance-- wow. Like power steering indeed! But not only that-- I realized my steering cable was so stiff and gunked-up, it was not moving to full lock in either direction so now my turning radius is significantly shorter-- so I not only got power steering, but sports car response too!

Thanks for everyone's help,

09-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Good deal all the way around. I had pretty much the same situation when I changed my helm and cable last spring.