PDA

View Full Version : Need advice..Brand new ski Broken!

MtSkier
08-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Ok, I just bought a new O'Brien Sixam. I have been out on it probably half a dozen times. My buddie was skiing it through the course and took a crash, nothing to bad he was cutting the wake and got to far over the front when he went into the wake, then we all heard the loud snap! when I got back to him he showed me the ski....It was snapped in half about 4" in front of the front foot mounting plate. Not even on the mounting holes?...

So any way, am I on my own on this or does anyone think I can get some sort of help from Obrien/Andy M on getting a new one?

thanks

east tx skier
08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I think you should surely be able to get the ski replaced. I had a friend snap his D3 in half coming around a ball last year and D3 sent him a brand new one. You paid too much for that ski to not have it replaced when it breaks in two.

ski_king
08-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Get ahold of the dealer you bought it from or Obrien or Mapple.
I would think it would be replaced.

Do you have any pictures of it?

MtSkier
08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I will post some photos tomorrow...

I keep you all posted on my progress...

east tx skier
08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
You may want to inquire whether anybody on the Water Ski Forum (http://waterski.nicholls.edu/waterski/) ever had this come up. Lots of Sixam skiers over there, and I recall some stories about broken skis a while back (not sure if it's a sixam). But if it was, they'll be able to tell you who to call.

Ric
08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Is mapple still part of the company? I think you can get it replaced. The first step is the dealer you purchased from.
I know HO will replace a cracked ski as D3 and Goode will do, so I'd think obrien would too.

Tom Wortham
08-01-2005, 01:18 PM
MtSkier,
I agree with the comments above. I would not think twice about asking for a new ski... That must have been some force. :eek3: Pictures would be great! Just another addition to your "wall of fame" :uglyhamme Keep us posted.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-01-2005, 01:43 PM
WOW!, I have never heard of snapping a ski before. Thats wild! Sorry to hear that, but at least nobody got hurt. Thats got a be a defect in the ski for sure. I mean think about how much force it should take to snap a waterski. WOW! :eek:

I would certainly ask your dealer for a brand spankin new ski. thats BS that it broke. For the price you paid for that top of the line ski, you deserve nothing less than a new ski OVERNIGHTED to you. :twocents:

Ric
08-01-2005, 02:21 PM
WOW!, I have never heard of snapping a ski before. Thats wild! Sorry to hear that, but at least nobody got hurt. Thats got a be a defect in the ski for sure. I mean think about how much force it should take to snap a waterski. WOW! :eek:

I would certainly ask your dealer for a brand spankin new ski. thats BS that it broke. For the price you paid for that top of the line ski, you deserve nothing less than a new ski OVERNIGHTED to you. :twocents:
Sombody here probably can post a link to jennifer leachman's broken ski
it aint pretty

rodltg2
08-01-2005, 02:47 PM
a friend of mine snapped his d3 also, laid him up for a month. really messes up his ankle.

east tx skier
08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Fortunately, my friend wasn't hurt. Neither of these is the first 04 D3 I heard of breaking.

JDK
08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
If you don't have success with O'Brien on a warranty claim, try your credit card company. Often times they offer extended warranty on purchases charged on their cards.

jimmer2880
08-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I watched a buddy of mine break his Goode (the white model - was it the 9500?). He just hooked hard & dug in. Broke in the same place yours did. They replaced it no questions asked.Glad nobody was hurt. That gets scarey in a hurry with carbon fiber.

skisix@38
08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Andy isn't with O'brien anymore. Don't contact him. They will replace the ski if you ask. Go to your dealer first and then if needed, hopefully not, you can go staight to O'brien. You're just going to be out a ski for a little while.

ski_king
08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
I see his website has been changed recently and all referances to the Sixam are gone.