PDA

View Full Version : 91 PS Exhaust

Lumbergh
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Looks like I have a small water leak in the right exhaust between the fiberglass muffler and the transom flange.

To replace this apx 3' section of 3" pipe, do I just remove the two forward hose clamps and remove the 8 screws through the transom to replace?

It looks like the pipe pulls through the rear but I don't want to tear into it until I am sure I can get it out and put it back together?

Seal the transom flange with some kind of sealant when reassembling?

If I have to replace the flange on this 1991, source of replacement flange? I can only find the SS ones on waterskis.com.

Cloaked
08-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Looks like I have a small water leak in the right exhaust between the fiberglass muffler and the transom flange.

To replace this apx 3' section of 3" pipe, do I just remove the two forward hose clamps and remove the 8 screws through the transom to replace?

It looks like the pipe pulls through the rear but I don't want to tear into it until I am sure I can get it out and put it back together?

Seal the transom flange with some kind of sealant when reassembling?

If I have to replace the flange on this 1991, source of replacement flange? I can only find the SS ones on waterskis.com.The exhaust flange is inserted and screwed into the transom. The exhaust hose has clamps on each end. The flange comes inside the boat about 4 - 5 inches then transitions with the hose / clamps. Unless you just prefer to replace the flanges, I'd leave well enough alone there, further pull the center floor section, pull the fuel cell, and work from there with new hoses and clamps (both while you're there). It may be that a hose connection has loosened and is allowing a little water to leak. Regardless, the flange replacement is not a requirement unless you see specific damage on the flange causing the leak. That is not likely but also not unheard. Soft, 3" diameter hose from Skidim works well. At that point, I'd also consider replacing the other hoses from the riser to the front side of the muflers. They may look OK but can and will eventually collapse internally, causing further issues when you least need or expect. If you decide to do that, order two riser gaskets and 8 replacement bolts. Working with the hoses without the riser connected is much easier, making it well worth the removal and replacemnt of the riser from the manifold. The hose can be custom cut to fit with a sharp box cutter. Cut sparingly until you get a good fit (on the risers).

Lumbergh
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Here is what I am dealing with:

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC00963800x600.jpg

Is the SS $120 one my only option?

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SSI03-3109090