PDA

View Full Version : My weekend

martini
08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, here is what I was doing this weekend. It's funny, this is becoming almost a second job for me now. A friend of mine had a "marine mechanic" rebuild his 82 PCM 351 this past spring. Well, this mechanic took a lot of short cuts with the rebuild and now I am having to fix those short cuts. First, he used an automotive seal for the rear main on it, which is a reverse rotation engine(Thanks for that CorrectCraft), of course it did not work, leaked a court of oil every hour. Replaced that with the correct RH seal, he also overtightened all the rocker arm bolts causing one to break and leave a rocker sitting against the inside of the valve cover and reducing the engine to 7 cylinders. Replaced those with new parts and retorqued everything to spec.

It is amazing to me that this mechanic is able to make a living performing work the way that he does. Terrible.

My friend, who the boat belongs to, was able to find some very beefy timber to construct our makeshift hoist and it worked perfectly. Here is what I have so far. I'll post one at a time.

Our backyard, Texas style engine hoist.

martini
08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
gettin' her prepped for removal, that's me in the pic.

martini
08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Almost ready for chains.

martini
08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
here we go......

martini
08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
another...

martini
08-01-2005, 10:22 AM
almost there........

martini
08-01-2005, 10:23 AM
it's free!! it's free!

martini
08-01-2005, 10:31 AM
We have more, just waiting on them from my buddy. I also have a short 4meg clip showing the boat being moved from under the engine, I'll try and get a link to that.

Storm861triple
08-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Cool pics.

Project not so cool. That's time consuming.

-Tom

peason
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Must be on heck of a friend. Sounds like he owe's you big time!

Leroy
08-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Way to go Martini!

I thought for a second you were going to pull a trick Mastermason's dad did of pulling mom's engine for the boat!

BriEOD
08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I'd be furious if I paid all that money to a mechanic.

martini
08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I get to use his garage and equipment, that's my payment. I am also doing this for experience, seriously thinking about starting my own business.

This is the second major repair I have to do to his rebuilt engine. The first involved setting his carb up correctly and rewiring ignition components. That worked out great, but of course moved into this after I fixed that problem. He tried to get the original mechanic to repair the leaking rear main, but of course kept getting the run-around. If you had seen the amount of RTV that was back there you would understand his aversion to even talking to this guy again. We'll be running it later this week, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

jimmer2880
08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
I"m with Peason - that's one heck of a friend... Not the way I'd like to spend a summer.

If your buddy wants a spare southwind - I know of a southwind 20 for sale..... :)

martini
08-01-2005, 11:47 AM
It's all good, my boat works perfectly and I was actually on it in the mornings both Sat and Sun. I'm just trying to get him going again. My 84 S&S is nice for boarding/skiing and he generally likes to wake surf and believe me, his Southwind throws an unbelievable wake. Scary big. I really don't mind doing this kind of work. I actually enjoy it believe it or not. It will have about a week of down time, so it's not going to be a lenghty process.

If anyone is in the Austin area and needs some service on their boat, let me know. I can probably help!

Ric
08-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, I get to use his garage and equipment, that's my payment. I am also doing this for experience, seriously thinking about starting my own business.
I don't know. If you do it for a living, you'll have to wear shoes

martini
08-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't know. If you do it for a living, you'll have to wear shoes

Shoes, what the hell are shoes!? Just kidding, I actually had just got off the lake and didn't have time to head back to my place, so I decided to go without. No accidents, just dirty feet this time. I'll be wearing shoes today, so don't worry!