PDA

View Full Version : Attn: HDTV Techies - Question

PeteS
08-01-2005, 09:07 AM
If you have cable and an HDTV ready set, do you have to rent the HDTV box from the cable provider, or are there ways around it.

I've located a HDTV antenna on eBayfor sale, and I was curious if this will actually pick up HD channels to my HD ready set?

Does anyone have any experience with these? A link is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TERK-HDTV-Indoor-UHF-VHF-HDTV-Antenna-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ5792246186QQcategoryZ61396QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Or what if I were to just purchase the box iteself, and plug it in? Would it be functional, or does something have to happen on the end of the cable provider:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-HDTV-Cable-Receiver-Box-DCT6200_W0QQitemZ5793764219QQcategoryZ39804QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

skeeler
08-01-2005, 09:13 AM
The answer is no. The cable company has to "switch" on the HDTV service. Unless the previous customer had HDTV service already on. As far as the over the air antenna. You will still need an HD tuner to bring in the signal from the antenna to the tv. Since your TV is just HDTV "ready", that means it can handle a HD signal put does not have a built in tuner. Over the air quality is quite good in a major metro city. In Detroit you shouldn't have a problem.

PeteS
08-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Check out my recent edit to the post, Skeeler. Thanks for the info already. Can I purchase a HD tuner to receive the signal from the antenna and if so, any reccomendations as to where to pick one up and costs? Thanks again.

Sorry for another edit. I found a HD tuner, and it's made by RCA who makes my TV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RCA-ATSC11-High-Definition-TV-Tuner-HDTV_W0QQitemZ5793368533QQcategoryZ32847QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

If I have the antenna and this tuner, I could run using over-air HD? And if the HD service happened to still be on from the provider, could this be used direct from my cable line?

BriEOD
08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I need another cup of coffee. At first glance I thought I read HGTV not HDTV. I'm thinking what the heck do you need a box for to watch the Home & Garden TV!! :uglyhamme

Leroy
08-01-2005, 11:35 AM
I work for Thomson (RCA) but have been out of the consumer electronics part for several years. To your first question yes, to the second question, depends, probably not though. You could call and ask the your cable probvider. Make sure you use the HD connection path between your HD receiver and the TV. The pix will be great, but I get tired of 4x3 material on a 16x9 screen, and visa-versa. Pretty much any antenna works, you don't need a special HDTV antenna, but they will want to sell you one!

If I have the antenna and this tuner, I could run using over-air HD? And if the HD service happened to still be on from the provider, could this be used direct from my cable line?

PeteS
08-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I work for Thomson (RCA) but have been out of the consumer electronics part for several years. To your first question yes, to the second question, depends, probably not though. You could call and ask the your cable probvider. Make sure you use the HD connection path between your HD receiver and the TV. The pix will be great, but I get tired of 4x3 material on a 16x9 screen, and visa-versa. Pretty much any antenna works, you don't need a special HDTV antenna, but they will want to sell you one!
Thanks for the reply, Leroy. Apreciate the info. Explain a little more about the 4x3 vs. 16x9 issue? Is the material transmitted over-air designed for a different format than the tv's 16x9?

I'm trying to find a tuner now on eBay for a good price, but it's risky because mos tare used, and being saold "as-is", with no testing performed. We'll see.

PeteS
08-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Hang in there, Brian! It's Monday also, we all understand -- I feel the same way!

PeteS
08-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Alrighty, looks like we're almost all set! I picked up an over-the-air HD tuner from eBay, with an antenna and it's working well.

My question now is, what stations are brodcasting in what formats? Is 720 better than 1080, and if so, is everyone (ABC, NBC, CBS) in 720 for most programs?

Stritt
08-09-2005, 11:38 AM
My 42" Phillips Plasma, does not require a Cable Box, it has a Cable Smart Card slot. Pretty neat. Of course, I use DirectTv, so it does not matter.

Question, I have the Directtv HDTV tuner, I can get local channels but no HDTV content. (Well, the few HDTV station they offer).If I hook a local antenna up, I assume I can get over the air HDTV locally. Leroy said, you don;t need a HDTV antenna, could you explain why? Is it a marketing hype thing or is there subtle trade offs.

As far as the screen sizes, my tv auto adjust which is a great feature. Our last one did not and was a pain!

Thanks!

Tom023
08-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Not that there aren't knowledgeable people here, you might be better served by going to a forum for HDTV. The one I found to be very useful is http://www.hdtvoice.com/. You can find answers to pretty much any question you may have.

PeteS
08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
My 42" Phillips Plasma, does not require a Cable Box, it has a Cable Smart Card slot. Pretty neat. Of course, I use DirectTv, so it does not matter.

Question, I have the Directtv HDTV tuner, I can get local channels but no HDTV content. (Well, the few HDTV station they offer).If I hook a local antenna up, I assume I can get over the air HDTV locally. Leroy said, you don;t need a HDTV antenna, could you explain why? Is it a marketing hype thing or is there subtle trade offs.

As far as the screen sizes, my tv auto adjust which is a great feature. Our last one did not and was a pain!

Thanks!
Cough, cough -- thread jack -- cough, cough :). Just kidding, and those who have not committed a thread jack, should cast the first stone, right?

Anyway, after some research for my own use, I could probably get you started on 2 questions: depending on your proximity to the DV/HD broadcasting station, you should be able to pick up HD stations with ANY antenna. Some of the HD antenna advertising is typically marketing hype. However, sometimes your antenna will require some power or amplification and that's what some "HD" antenna's supply, but that is dependent on your location.

So to check it out, find a cheap-o antenna, plug it into your TV and see what happens. Your TV will have to be HD integrated, as opposed to HD ready for this to work. Let us know how it goes!