PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody concerned about Irene

dmminfla
08-25-2011, 04:35 PM
It Looks like it might be a big problem. South Florida is geting some of the feeder bands with heavy rain and gusts 40 mph plus and we are 200 miles away. Oh and white caps on the lake.

ShawnB
08-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Going to be pulling the boat out of the lake before the storm hits. They are saying that MA will get anywhere from 40-80 mph winds and up to 8" of rain.

jwardenjr
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
We have 100 heat here in So Cal but no rain ... hope you guys stay safe out that way !

gid
08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Here in Nashville we will go from 95 to 82 this weekend. I do feel for the folks who's lives and property will be lost - Natural diasters suck. At least with a Hurricane you know it is coming

02ProstarSammyD
08-25-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm headed to Edenton, NC in the morning off the coast of NC. Should be an experience. And no I'm not just going to be a moron. Have 2 65 year old in laws that won't leave there house on the water and a hard headed woman who won't leave them alone.

tommcat
08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
should be downgraded by then but it's supposed to be coming right at me

SWeaver
08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Work in newark, nj. Live on the water in CT with lots of big OLD maple trees....gonna be a rough sunday watching out for 3 elderly parents with the wife. When Gloria plowed through 25yrs ago, we lost power for 8 days.
But.......This time, lots of gas, 17500w generator, food, a lifted 4x4 and a small arsenal of 12g and .40s has me feeling less anxious than some. But, still not really comfy.

shepherd
08-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm headed to Edenton, NC in the morning off the coast of NC. Should be an experience. And no I'm not just going to be a moron. Have 2 65 year old in laws that won't leave there house on the water and a hard headed woman who won't leave them alone.

I'm heading to Southern Maryland to visit my father this weekend. He lives on the water and won't leave either. But the worst that will probably happen is he'll get some flooding on the ground floor. This was a pre-arranged trip, but instead of boating on the Bay this weekend I'll probably be helping him fill sandbags. :(

Iskidaily
08-25-2011, 08:10 PM
the other night, we had a big storm in Raleigh and I was awakened by my 125lb golden jumping on me ... while I will probably tie down the lawn chairs to prevent them from blowing around, I'll definitely make some preparations for the flying golden!

DemolitionMan
08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I am not worried just wish we would get some rain from it.

JohnE
08-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I think we are supposed to get it right over us. Category 1 or 2.

Cary K.
08-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Our family has property on the point at Emerald Isle, NC, basically where it is supposed to make landfall as a Category 3. Waiting now to hear if my parents were able to get their boat out by themselves, or if I am going to head down this afternoon and do it. I live about 100 miles inland. Concerned...very much so!

oldairboater
08-26-2011, 07:27 AM
I live on the Gulf Coast and we have had our share of storms lately. I still have a yard full of large damaged trees. I also remember how much this cost me and how crappy the insurance companies are. I pity anyone that faces the damage and cost of these storms.

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2011, 08:27 AM
the other night, we had a big storm in Raleigh and I was awakened by my 125lb golden jumping on me ... while I will probably tie down the lawn chairs to prevent them from blowing around, I'll definitely make some preparations for the flying golden!

Yea I'm in raleigh too. That storm cost me a boat cover which I could realllllllly use this weekend. You out at falls?

DemolitionMan
08-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Our family has property on the point at Emerald Isle, NC, basically where it is supposed to make landfall as a Category 3. Waiting now to hear if my parents were able to get their boat out by themselves, or if I am going to head down this afternoon and do it. I live about 100 miles inland. Concerned...very much so!

Are prayers are with you and your family.

MC X-15
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I keep my boat on a lift in Southern Jersey. Dont own a trailer and dont have a way to get it out of the water. So im gonna strap the biatch down and hopefully it will be fine. Prob tie the I beams on the lift to the dock to prevent lots of swaying, and hopefully my cover will hold. Factory MC cover makes me a little nervous. But, Im more worried about flying furniture going through the windows of the house. Hopefully it wont be as bad as they are predicting. Good luck to all in the NC area. Suppose to be brutal.

JohnE
08-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I keep my boat on a lift in Southern Jersey. Dont own a trailer and dont have a way to get it out of the water. So im gonna strap the biatch down and hopefully it will be fine. Prob tie the I beams on the lift to the dock to prevent lots of swaying, and hopefully my cover will hold. Factory MC cover makes me a little nervous. But, Im more worried about flying furniture going through the windows of the house. Hopefully it wont be as bad as they are predicting. Good luck to all in the NC area. Suppose to be brutal.

I would think you should lower the boat close to the water...??

shepherd
08-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Went through this several years ago when I had a boat on the Chesapeake when hurricane Isabel(?) passed through. The storm wasn't too bad, just a lot of wind and rain - more like an extended thunderstorm without as much lightning. I spent the night on the boat. The storm surge was the worst part and probably caused most of the damage in the area. Docks were broken up and boats ended up on top of docks. I had to get out of the boat in the middle of the night a few times to adjust my dock lines -- at one point I was wading in waist deep water on the dock. If you have a stout boat house and your boat is up high and strapped down good, it should be OK unless this turns into an especially fierce storm.

MC X-15
08-26-2011, 11:04 AM
The winds are suppose to be 80-100mph in my area. I am also worried about the height of the water. It is tidal where the boat is stored so if i put it close to the water im afraid it could float off. Putting it up high, not super high but 4 ft off the water would make it so it couldnt float away. Then strap the the cradle to the dock best i can to reduce sway, Strap the baot to the lift, and pray. :confused:I doubt a 100 mph wind would blow the boat off the lift, but again, this is my first real hurrican with a boat.

MC X-15
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Went through this several years ago when I had a boat on the Chesapeake when hurricane Isabel(?) passed through. The storm wasn't too bad, just a lot of wind and rain - more like an extended thunderstorm without as much lightning. I spent the night on the boat. The storm surge was the worst part and probably caused most of the damage in the area. Docks were broken up and boats ended up on top of docks. I had to get out of the boat in the middle of the night a few times to adjust my dock lines -- at one point I was wading in waist deep water on the dock. If you have a stout boat house and your boat is up high and strapped down good, it should be OK unless this turns into an especially fierce storm.

Was your boat on a lift?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-26-2011, 11:30 AM

You would then need to raise it as the water level comes up? This coming from a guy from MN

dmminfla
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
You would then need to raise it as the water level comes up? This coming from a guy from MN

It might be a chalange to lift the boat with no power. This coming from a guy in south Fl who went through Jean, Francis and Wilma all within 13 months. Power out with the first strong gust an remained out for up to two weeks.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
It might be a chalange to lift the boat with no power. This coming from a guy in south Fl who went through Jean, Francis and Wilma all within 13 months. Power out with the first strong gust an remained out for up to two weeks.

Picking the correct height just got more important.

mitch
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Ya, im concerned...pulling my 205 tomorrow. Boat is in southern maine and not sure my whips can handle 50+ mph winds

DemolitionMan
08-26-2011, 01:18 PM
We are getting wind but no rain, I am disappointed.

agarabaghi
08-26-2011, 01:44 PM
The last of the few outer bands have passed us in orlando. We got some rain and gust. Still managed to ride yesterday...

Best of luck to yall... went through andrew in 92 down in south miami
that was a mess...

MC X-15
08-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Very true. We are suppose to get a 5ft swell. So hopefully i can get it at least that high. My problem is its not my primary residence and they just annouced the NJ parkway is being closed 8pm tonight until Sunday. And there is a mandatory evacuation. So im leaving work in a few and shooting down there before the road is closed. Hopefully I can get everything secured and be gone before the storm or traffic appears. Good luck to all, hopefully this whore will pass quickly.

jkski
08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
We have 2 rental properties just north of Wilmington NC on Topsail Island (1 beachfront, 1 that is 1 row off), so needless to say we are paying close attention. Been through this before and al you can do is wait and be prepared to go down for the clean-up when it is over. This is why I always stockpile vacation time, just in case.

snork
08-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Unfortunately the water will come to the boat

Jerseydave
08-26-2011, 06:09 PM
The winds are suppose to be 80-100mph in my area. I am also worried about the height of the water. It is tidal where the boat is stored so if i put it close to the water im afraid it could float off. Putting it up high, not super high but 4 ft off the water would make it so it couldnt float away. Then strap the the cradle to the dock best i can to reduce sway, Strap the baot to the lift, and pray. :confused:I doubt a 100 mph wind would blow the boat off the lift, but again, this is my first real hurrican with a boat.

As you said you should put the boat lift as high as it will go. Keep the plug in the boat.
Not sure if strapping the boat to the lift is the best idea. My thought would be to have many dock lines to the dock with multiple fenders just in case the water rises well above the lift. At least the boat won't float away that way, but tough call since you cannot be there to check on it.

Wish you had a trailer or rented one, that would be the best way to go. You could have kept it at my place 40 miles inland.

lanier92prostar
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
We are getting wind but no rain, I am disappointed.

Not even getting wind here, supposed to be gusting to 10mph tomorrow.

BallBushing
08-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Highland Lake, Winsted CT. Pulled the boat Friday and have it parked behind the cottage. Hopefully a tree won't do it in. Rainfall is predicted 8-10 inches, winds 75-90.

tommcat
08-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Highland Lake, Winsted CT. Pulled the boat Friday and have it parked behind the cottage. Hopefully a tree won't do it in. Rainfall is predicted 8-10 inches, winds 75-90.
brought my boat to the shop for inside storage, i dont want a tree in the middle of it

beef
08-27-2011, 02:34 PM

Drove through Edenton yesterday on the way back from securing our campers at our lake on the other side of the sound. Seemed like they were pretty well prepared around there (windows boarded up, etc). Hope everyone in that area stays safe.

ShawnB
08-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Calm before the storm. Boat on the trailer and the lake has been drawn down about two feet.

JohnE
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Good point. I was visualizing our little lake where water can't rise more than a foot or it's over the spillway of the dam. I wasn't thinking...the lake I frequent in NH has risen 3' overnight with just a good rainstorm. I wonder how much it will raise with this storm.

shepherd
08-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Was your boat on a lift?

No. That's why I stayed with the boat, so I could adjust the dock lines and keep it off the dock.

shepherd
08-27-2011, 04:11 PM
We're on the waterfront in Southern MD right now. Real windy and rainy. The water rose to the top of the seawall at high tide but has gone down a bit. But, the center of the storm isn't this far north yet, so we may still see a storm surge. Hopefully it will come at low tide. My father has two sailboats tied to his dock. My MC is safe in FL.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
We're on the waterfront in Southern MD right now. Real windy and rainy. The water rose to the top of the seawall at high tide but has gone down a bit. But, the center of the storm isn't this far north yet, so we may still see a storm surge. Hopefully it will come at low tide. My father has two sailboats tied to his dock. My MC is safe in FL.

That would make for nice timing.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
That's why I stayed with the boat, so I could adjust the dock lines and keep it off the dock.

Riding out a hurricane in a boat on a lift sounds exciting.............but first things first.

shepherd
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Riding out a hurricane in a boat on a lift sounds exciting.............but first things first.

I meant to say "no" but this dang netbook is hard to type on :(

No, the boat was in the water, tied to the dock. Good thing I was there too, because the water rose so high one of the dock lines came loose, it slipped over the top of the piling. I woke up when the boat started banging against the dock.

DemolitionMan
08-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I meant to say "no" but this dang netbook is hard to type on :(

No, the boat was in the water, tied to the dock. Good thing I was there too, because the water rose so high one of the dock lines came loose, it slipped over the top of the piling. I woke up when the boat started banging against the dock.

I don't feel like saving a boat is worth my life.

mayo93prostar
08-27-2011, 07:05 PM
my boat is sitting high and dry in the garage but the wind is starting to blow even more this evening and the worst for Annapolis, MD area is yet to come after midnight. I expect the power to go out anytime but it has not yet. It has flickered multiple times but is stil on for now. I have a generator and plenty of gas if it do.es go out for a while. I have over 3 inches in the rain gauge already. Good luck everyone. I hope all is well with you Shep, you are not very far away.

ShawnB
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Rain is just about over but we'll have high wind for the rest of the day. Lake is full again at least...

MasterKraftS&S
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Now if you strap the lift tightly to the BOAT, the lift will rise with the boat. Assuming the lift has a Canopy Top - You now have a MC w/ the largest Bimini top imaginalbe. THEN all you have to do is keep the boat/lift in the center of the lake until the waters receed! :eek: I've seen Shore Stations turn into kites with a strong wind!

wakescene
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I pulled my boat from cape may NJ and brought her home Friday morning. Better safe than sunk. Thursday night to Friday midday was crazy at our local ramp. Easily 300 boats pulled in the 10 hr period I was at the beach house shoring everything up. Thankfully it was a lessor event than predicted but it was comforting to see all of the preparedness going on. I also have to credit the beach towns and their social networking updates. Posts, pIcs and a constant feed of info assured 1000's of residence our houses weren't floating away.

MC X-15
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Got pretty close. Made it though.

DemolitionMan
08-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Got pretty close. Made it though.

Is the boat on a lift in that pic?

trickskier
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Is the boat on a lift in that pic?

Looks like both boats are on lifts - Dock is underwater!

MC X-15
08-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes the dock is normally 3-4 ft above the water, and the boat sits about 5 ft or so. The dock was about 1-2 ft under water. Luckily my house is 10 ft about the river level. I got lucky to say the least. If the latter part of the storm didnt weaken I think I may have had a problem.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
That's cutting it a little close.

DemolitionMan
08-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Looks like both boats are on lifts - Dock is underwater!

I was hoping that it was on a lift and not beating against the dock.

trickskier
08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes the dock is normally 3-4 ft above the water, and the boat sits about 5 ft or so. The dock was about 1-2 ft under water. Luckily my house is 10 ft about the river level. I got lucky to say the least. If the latter part of the storm didnt weaken I think I may have had a problem.

Curious as to why you didn't pull it out?

Cary K.
08-29-2011, 10:44 AM
We made it through safely, lots of damage everywhere you look, but could have been a lot worse. Our beach properties and skiff also made it fine, but the dock did get twisted. We are very lucky, hope everyone else is as fortunate.

mayo93prostar
08-29-2011, 10:49 AM
we are still without power but it is a nice sunny day today. I had some roof shingles blow off on my house and a few limbs break off of trees. we cleaned up the yard yesterday and a contractor came by today to look at the roof and will have a guy come fix it later this week. they are slammed with calls about roof and siding damage.

MC X-15
08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Curious as to why you didn't pull it out?

Well that would have been ideal. I dont own a trailer so that was my first issue. I could have had it blocked in my marinas parking lot near my house but figured 70+ MPH winds could have blown it over so it hought it would be safer on the lift. I never thought the water would get so high considering im on the river that feed the bay which goes to the ocean. The river generally has a 6-12 inch tide. The inlet to the ocean is 10+ miles away. I got lucky and will prob be looking for a used 08 X-15 trailer. Anyone have one for sale? At the time of purchase i was quoted 6k for the trailer. Just couldnt do it bc my boat lives on the lift 75% of the year.

BallBushing
08-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Now I know what those trailer guides are for. Dodged a bullet here.70046

ShawnB
08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Now I know what those trailer guides are for. Dodged a bullet here.70046

You should go buy a lottery ticket.

DemolitionMan
08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
It is better to be lucky than good.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Absolutely amazing!

tommcat
08-30-2011, 11:23 AM
well i was hoping to be on the water for labor day weekend but right now the ct river is 27 feet above where it should be, i don't know if it will go down enough by then

ntidsl
08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Heading to four resorts I do work for. I am a lighting consultant for resorts so I need to go down to the Bahamas and evaluate the damage done to each property. Labor day is out for me, I'll be out of the country. And another one coming toward Leeward islands now!!! Great!

ShawnB
08-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Heading to four resorts I do work for. I am a lighting consultant for resorts so I need to go down to the Bahamas and evaluate the damage done to each property. Labor day is out for me, I'll be out of the country. And another one coming toward Leeward islands now!!! Great!

Any chance you're going to the Wyndham?

ntidsl
08-30-2011, 03:21 PM
in nassau...nope, just down the road...

rjracin240
08-31-2011, 07:19 AM

Come on now......spent quite a bit of time myself in the Bahama's it aint gonna be all bad MON have a few Kalik's for me and it will be all good!!!!:toast::guitar:

thatsmrmastercraft
08-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Complaining about going to the Bahamas on the company nickel:confused::rolleyes:

ntidsl
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
It's a job and I do it every other week...so the nostalgia wore off years ago...trust me I'd much rather be home with my wife and son than working in the Bahamas on Labor Day weekend. And I don't drink beer when I travel for work...again, over that years ago...When I travel I'm either working, working out, or sleeping. Keeps me out of trouble and feeling good.

Evan Jones
08-31-2011, 03:31 PM
well i was hoping to be on the water for labor day weekend but right now the ct river is 27 feet above where it should be, i don't know if it will go down enough by then

Better plan on somewhere else.... Greenfield (and others north) raw sewage is heading your way. I don't think the water will be safe for weeks

ntidsl
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
raw sewage...yuck!!! Sorry to hear about the East Coast...sounds horrific up there...good luck everyone...raw sewage in the river is really one of the least of your concerns right now I guess...the videos of the covered bridges being swept away were horrible.

tommcat
08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Better plan on somewhere else.... Greenfield (and others north) raw sewage is heading your way. I don't think the water will be safe for weeks

i'll just try not to drink any water8p

thatsmrmastercraft
08-31-2011, 07:08 PM
i'll just try not to drink any water8p

Don't spit it out through your teeth either:rolleyes:

robin
09-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Last month we vacationed in the OBX. We stayed in Hatteras, in an ocean front home called the DareDreamer....curious / worried about its condition. It was a great home and we'd love to go back to it.... Saw pictures of highway 12 all tore up. That is the only road to Hatteras from the mainland. The only other way there is several ferry rides from the south; cedar island to okrakoke to hatteras. the OBX is beautiful and and i hope they get cleaned up soon.

leymoh
09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Well I got really concerned over how Irene would affect New York as I have a lot of friends over there. It was so bad that they have to call a red flag on the transport system and a lot got really affected by that. One of my friends, who was a contractor to one of the buildings on schedule that day, were also stopped so that they could be sure of the safety of all those at work. Good thing though that they did not get affected that much as compared to how they first thought of things.