PDA

View Full Version : taking off a prop 79 S and S

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Ok apparently I am not very smart...I read up on how to take a prop of the shaft--took nut off but the prop will not move...heated it as much as I could--used a propane torch...left it on the prop for an hour...took hammer and wood block and got nothing--the prop was hot but not red hot...do I need a better torch or am I missing something here? do I need a prop key?
help!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-25-2011, 01:17 AM
use a prop removal tool, read this thread

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36486

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 03:27 AM
yeah, i read that one already...thanks though...trying to avoid the prop puller but if there are no other options guess i will spring for one...

cbryan70
08-25-2011, 09:34 AM
how hard did you hit the prop with the block? Needs a good wack

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
yeah, i read that one already...thanks though...trying to avoid the prop puller but if there are no other options guess i will spring for one...

Went through the same thing last year, I used a 2x4 & a 5lb sledge hammer and my prop never moved, it took the prop removal tool to get it off.

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 10:47 AM
how hard did you hit the prop with the block? Needs a good wack

my wood block is destroyed...trust me I wailed on that thing...did you guys use a propane torch? or something hotter?

cbryan70
08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Prop nut is off correct? :D;)

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Prop nut is off correct? :D;)

yeah its off--no prob with that

cbryan70
08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
got any big C clamps?

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=cbryan70;783937]got any big C clamps?[/QUOT

No but if you think this will work--I could buy

EricB
08-25-2011, 12:11 PM
There's always more than one way to skin a cat, but personnaly I have tried other alternative methods to removing a prop. It can be done many ways but flat-out the easiest is a dedicated prop puller.
It's fast, easier than other methods and generally will save time and knuckle skin.

It sounds like you have already invested more time in attempting to remove the prop than it would of cost for a puller.

cbryan70
08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
i do know of people that loosen the nut but leave the pin in and pop it in gear to get a tough one loose but I would not personally do this.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
You could check with a local boat shop and see if they would been willing to loan you a puller or rent it to you for a small fee or even take it to them and have it loosed in their parking lot...ive done stuff like this with some of my auto customers...

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
thanks for the input...f it...ill just order a puller online...always want to have a craft so hopefully it will be worth it down the line

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-25-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't know why your removing your prop but, When I ordered my prop last year from oj, he gave me a discount on buying the puller...

nitro5238
08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Just go ahead and get the puller already....that way you will always have it when you need it! Or especially if any of your friends ever need it. I found a deal on a prop on ebay and got a puller and new nut and have it stored in a padded plastic case under the bow...you never know but then again I tend to be the go-to guy whenever someone needs a tool to use in an emergency.

FrankSchwab
08-25-2011, 07:18 PM
If you've got a 4-blade prop, you can cheat with a big gear puller (http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/3-piece-two-jaw-puller-set-40966.html) (Harbor freight is great for tools that you plan on modifying). I got one, ground the tips so they'd fit between the prop and the strut (sharpen the ends also so it digs into the prop slightly), tightened it down, and off it came.

Total cost: about $15 and 10 minutes on the grinding wheel.

ahhudgins
08-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I didn’t realize a 4 blade prop required a different puller until I dinged mine up about a year after I installed the 4 blade. I cut two grooves in my 3 blade puller with a die grinder so now I have a “Universal Puller”:D

If you plan on having a boat the rest of your life, invest in a prop puller or some other gear puller as others have suggested. Believe me, it's worth it.

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 08:59 PM
I didn’t realize a 4 blade prop required a different puller until I dinged mine up about a year after I installed the 4 blade. I cut two grooves in my 3 blade puller with a die grinder so now I have a “Universal Puller”:D

If you plan on having a boat the rest of your life, invest in a prop puller or some other gear puller as others have suggested. Believe me, it's worth it.

i ordered this one http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=IRONMAN1.0 from ARE and it claims to work for 4 blade props--i sure hope so...

has anyone found that it doesn't?

FrankSchwab
08-26-2011, 02:08 AM
It should work fine.

/frank

Kevin 89MC
08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
For the first 10 years of pulling my prop (about 4-5 times) all I ever needed was a block of wood and 5 lb hammer. One time it was loose as I took off the nut. 2 years ago I needed to borrow a prop puller, that worked great. Last year the prop puller would not do it, so I had to get the torch. I don't have propane, I use Mapp gas for soldering (hotter than propane), and it took awhile for it to finally pop. I heated it up with the prop puller cranked on tight, nut loosened up but still on. Gave a very loud pop finally. I am the only one that puts the props back on, so I know they are always tightened the same, which is "not too much". Interesting that there is so much variation in how hard they come off sometimes...
Kevin

ssippiriverrat
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Got the prop puller and pop...it was off in 2 mins...wish I didnt need to spend $80... Oh well...now I just need to get the rudder off...any tips?

mikeg205
08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
get the prop tool... cheap invenstment for a necssary tool...

thatsmrmastercraft
08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Got the prop puller and pop...it was off in 2 mins...wish I didnt need to spend $80... Oh well...now I just need to get the rudder off...any tips?

$80 rudder puller:D:D:D

MasterKraftS&S
08-31-2011, 09:08 PM

Priceless! :worthy:

MasterKraftS&S
08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Mine wouldn't come off either! Proly same screw on the '84 SnS 15yrs! Pulled into the marina(on a slow day) and asked if I could "borrow" a wrench to swap the prop real quick. Got wrench and piqued some interest. He handed me a BIG hammer and said "You'll need this". I Loosened nut whacked each of my 3 blades in order a few times - NOTHING. Guy walks out with a puller. I attach, apply tension, WACK a cpl more times OFF she comes. Old Mechanic said he's NEVER used a torch! Pays to have the right tools OR know where to go when you need it!

MasterKraftS&S
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Mine wouldn't come off either! Proly same screw on the '84 SnS 15yrs! Pulled into the marina(on a slow day) and asked if I could "borrow" a wrench to swap the prop real quick. Got wrench and piqued some interest. He handed me a BIG hammer and said "You'll need this". I Loosened nut whacked each of my 3 blades in order a few times - NOTHING. Guy walks out with a puller. I attach, apply tension, WACK a cpl more times OFF she comes. Old Mechanic said he's NEVER used a torch! Pays to have the right tools OR know where to go when you need it!

I picked up a NEW carb from Skidim - think I should run it down to the marina and ask if I can borrow another wrench? LOL Nah! :noface:

thatsmrmastercraft
08-31-2011, 09:33 PM

This one will be a little easier. Be sure to support rudder from underneath with a floor jack so it doesn't fall out.

ssippiriverrat
09-02-2011, 01:01 PM
This one will be a little easier. Be sure to support rudder from underneath with a floor jack so it doesn't fall out.

rudder off, shaft finally out--the brushing on the strut look pretty good---waiting on new shaft from skidim...thanks for all the help

DemolitionMan
09-02-2011, 01:03 PM

8p:guitar::eek3:

keith3613
09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
When replacing a prop, I put grease on the prop shaft, inside the prop and the key. It makes it easier to remove the next time.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-02-2011, 04:59 PM
rudder off, shaft finally out--the brushing on the strut look pretty good---waiting on new shaft from skidim...thanks for all the help

Good to hear it is out, but gravity provided more help than I did.:rolleyes:

psychobilly
09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
post some pics man!!!! :-)

ssippiriverrat
09-04-2011, 06:27 PM
shaft in and shaft out (that's what she said)