PDA

View Full Version : Any similar experience with tower spotlights?

Yves 007
08-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Quite a unpleasant experience with my newly acquired MC!
We went surfing after supper and my son thought it would be a good idea to try this set of about 6 small but powerful spotlights sitting on top of the tower. After about 15 minutes, my son felt something strange: the throttle dropped dead passed 6mph. He shut the engine, started again and it was OK. At that time I told him to close the spotlights.
10 minutes later, my son shut the engine, for a rider switch. The engine would never start again, we could hear the tick tick of the starter but no fire. Everything else could work (ballasts pumps, blower etc...).
Once towed to shore, we decided to charge the battery. We used the deep cycle 2amp for a good charge. At that moment, we noticed that the battery was only 40% charged. Amazing since earlier that day we had been on the water for about 3 hours.

Later on, once at 65% charged, we decided to test the spotlights. After 5 seconds, the battery fell down to 30%!! Of course during all that time, the boat would never start.

This morning, the battery was fully charged (100%) and the boat started (many times) like if nothing ever happened.

Any thoughts on what may have happened? Any suggestion to avoid a repeat?

Thanks!
Yves

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
The spotlights somehow drained the battery. Any other accessories on at the same time, are these lights factory or are they something you added? Sounds likely if the engine was running you were pulling to many amps for the alternator to keep up and it just drained the battery.

Thrall
08-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Guessing by your picture it's not a brand new boat. I'd say old/bad battery. Lights sucked alot of amps and killed an already weak battery.
Not sure the % charged guage on your charger is accurate, but sounds like the lights are pulling it down quickly.

BNIROOSTER
08-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Guessing by your picture it's not a brand new boat. I'd say old/bad battery. Lights sucked alot of amps and killed an already weak battery.
Not sure the % charged guage on your charger is accurate, but sounds like the lights are pulling it down quickly.

I agree, if you have the stock alt. then you are most likely only putting out 35 amps and if the battery/batteries are older or defective then they aren't holding the charge. Tower lights draw alot of amps. I would recommend putting a amp meter on them and checking how many amps they are drawing and also have the battery and alt tested.

JimN
08-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Quite a unpleasant experience with my newly acquired MC!
We went surfing after supper and my son thought it would be a good idea to try this set of about 6 small but powerful spotlights sitting on top of the tower. After about 15 minutes, my son felt something strange: the throttle dropped dead passed 6mph. He shut the engine, started again and it was OK. At that time I told him to close the spotlights.
10 minutes later, my son shut the engine, for a rider switch. The engine would never start again, we could hear the tick tick of the starter but no fire. Everything else could work (ballasts pumps, blower etc...).
Once towed to shore, we decided to charge the battery. We used the deep cycle 2amp for a good charge. At that moment, we noticed that the battery was only 40% charged. Amazing since earlier that day we had been on the water for about 3 hours.

Later on, once at 65% charged, we decided to test the spotlights. After 5 seconds, the battery fell down to 30%!! Of course during all that time, the boat would never start.

This morning, the battery was fully charged (100%) and the boat started (many times) like if nothing ever happened.

Any thoughts on what may have happened? Any suggestion to avoid a repeat?

Thanks!
Yves

Your alternator was originally capable of about 75A (assuming it hasn't been abused or replaced with something less) but that doesn't guarantee anything. Also, I would inspect the installation of the lights and any other accessories, the battery cables/clamps, test the charging system and load test the battery.

If the battery clamps/posts are dirty, the resistance will cause the voltage to drop and that causes heat at the main connection points. As he voltage drops further, the heat at these connections increases and when connections get hot, the resistance increases.

12VDC electrical systems are a good case for using LED lights. The main problem with them is their high cost but the load they present is negligible.

Yves 007
08-26-2011, 12:37 AM
The dealer has installed a brand new battery before we took possession of the boats three weeks ago.

Yves 007
08-26-2011, 12:43 AM
I can't tell if it is after market or factory (dealer) installed. The spothlights and the speakers were already mounted when we purchased the boat three weeks ago.