PDA

View Full Version : learning to foot without a boom

ssippiriverrat
08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
so we don't have a boom, but this weekend the boyz are getting back together--and we have decided to all try to b-foot one more time

we were all wboarders in high school that would occasionally attempt to foot on a nice night--my longest successful foot was like half a football field--largely we had no idea what we were doing--but we didn't have (and still don't) have a boom to start with--back in the day we either tried to drop a slalom ski or ride a kneeboard on our butts to get to the footing position or just starting supermaning behind the boat and flipping the butt around to get into position (not preferable--we are not going to be behind a mastercraft--the boat we will use doesn't have the same get up and go)

i have been reading about jcovners attempts...but my question is...did anyone learn without a boom? how did they initially get up?--(mind that the tumble turn may not work well behind this boat)

dcstewart77
08-24-2011, 05:21 PM
try using a kneeboard. get your feet in front of you and stand up when you are up to speed.

much easier than trying to drop a ski.

aaron.
08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
i learned long-line by step off. it took a number of failed attempts. i'd say kneeboard or just a straight-up deep-up. Good for you though dude. Too many people are footing on booms these days. almost all those chumps have terrible form because you can barefoot any way you want on the boom without consequence. you won't have to worry about learning any bad habit's if you don't touch a boom [crutch]!

deep-up is still the easiest way to get up imho.

Justjoe
08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
I used the kneeboard too.

Get situated with your feet in front of you. Have the boat going a reasonably SLOW speed or you'll porpoise off. When you set your feet in the driver accelerates. You will be pulled up gently from your sitting position to a standing position. At some point, the kneeboard will drop off you and fall back, but don't be surprised if it sticks to your posterior for a little bit.

Good luck, and have fun!

JLeuck64
08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I also learned on the knee board. Keep the speed low, say in the 12-15 MPH range until the skier can get outside the wake and in position (feet forward and no porposing). When the skier puts their feet in the water that should be the cue for the driver to accelerate up to footing speed. The skier just needs to be patient and wait for the water to firm up so they can stand. The biggest problem I remember is all the spray you get in the face, back then we didn't know about keeping your knees pinned together to eliminate that spray in the face. Good luck, it should be some good times!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
I learned before kneeboards. We used a disc, which was even a wilder ride when approaching barefoot speed. Most failed attempts come from not having the patience to allow for proper speed before putting your feet in.

skibrain
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Age 14, step off of a slalom ski.
Boat: 13' Boston Whaler w/40 hp. No faceplants, just did it.
There's a brief one-footing that you need to do to step off so I prefer the boat is 38mph + for a bit firmer water. Never tried a kneeboard.

I've also rigged a DIY boom for a couple of boats to teach youngsters to ski. We used a fiberglass mast from an old wind surfer. Lashed to the bow cleats and with a ski rope support up to the bow eye. It was kind of whippy but worked for the kids on skis so I took a couple of step off BF runs on this home made boom. I wouldn't do any stunts on it but it was fine for a static pull and allowed a bit slower footing speed.

silverblueBP
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
First learned (back in the mid 80's) by stepping off a ski, then we bought a knee board and found that to be real easy. Later on as we progressed, we learned to do deep starts. I'd never even used a handle off of the boom until a few weeks ago.

ahhudgins
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
i learned long-line by step off. it took a number of failed attempts. i'd say kneeboard or just a straight-up deep-up. Good for you though dude. Too many people are footing on booms these days. almost all those chumps have terrible form because you can barefoot any way you want on the boom without consequence. you won't have to worry about learning any bad habit's if you don't touch a boom [crutch]!

deep-up is still the easiest way to get up imho.

Ahhhh....another puriest!
I learned stepping off a ski before there were booms. I'm at the point now that I will only give a few minutes of training on the boom to get the proper body position, then they get behind the boat on the knee board. I've always called the boom "The Crutch" as well and I agree 100% that it allows bad form. Exhibit A: My neighbor who says he barefoots.

ahhudgins
08-24-2011, 08:04 PM
I used the kneeboard too.

Get situated with your feet in front of you. Have the boat going a reasonably SLOW speed or you'll porpoise off. When you set your feet in the driver accelerates. You will be pulled up gently from your sitting position to a standing position. At some point, the kneeboard will drop off you and fall back, but don't be surprised if it sticks to your posterior for a little bit.

Good luck, and have fun!

EXACTLY what he said^^^^^
I do agree that the knee board is the easiest way to learn without a boom. The only hard part is getting balanced in the water as you are getting pulled up. I'm 185 lbs and have no problem...just takes practice. If you sit far enough forward and lean back a "little" you can hit 40 MPH with no porpoising! :D It is best for beginners to plant their feet earlier as you described, but I just get to 40 and stand up. I need to get some pictures this weekend if we don't get hit by the hurricane.

Jerseydave
08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I learned off a kneeboard too. It's the best way to learn if you don't have a boom. (It might be the best way to learn....period)

Just make sure no one steals your kneeboard while it's floating around. Somebody took ours while I footed away......good thing it was an old one anyway.

ahhudgins
08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I learned off a kneeboard too. It's the best way to learn if you don't have a boom. (It might be the best way to learn....period)

Just make sure no one steals your kneeboard while it's floating around. Somebody took ours while I footed away......good thing it was an old one anyway.

We watched a guy pick up a ski that we had dropped and I had to chase him down. When we caught up to him he said "I lost a ski just like this one". Riiiiiiiiiiight. The dude was about 70 years old and was alone in the boat. He's dead now. For real, he's dead. Not because he picked up my ski, he just got old.

Cloaked
08-24-2011, 09:22 PM
so we don't have a boom, but this weekend the boyz are getting back together--and we have decided to all try to b-foot one more time

we were all wboarders in high school that would occasionally attempt to foot on a nice night--my longest successful foot was like half a football field--largely we had no idea what we were doing--but we didn't have (and still don't) have a boom to start with--back in the day we either tried to drop a slalom ski or ride a kneeboard on our butts to get to the footing position or just starting supermaning behind the boat and flipping the butt around to get into position (not preferable--we are not going to be behind a mastercraft--the boat we will use doesn't have the same get up and go)

i have been reading about jcovners attempts...but my question is...did anyone learn without a boom? how did they initially get up?--(mind that the tumble turn may not work well behind this boat) Real footers don't use booms :). I learned on a long line (75') and have done several diferent start methods. After years of water in the head from deep water starts, I prefer to step off of a slalom and move on down the lake for a nice ride. There are several talking points when stepping off but one in particular for success. Without detail of discussion, the trick for a beginner stepping off of a slalom is as follows:

Place your front foot on top of the binding and heel against the heel piece when getting up. This eliminates two motions when stepping off of the ski.

Remove your rear foot and place it out in front of you onto the water, not under you. The key here is to bend the knee that is on the ski extensively. Here lies the tip for success. By bending the knee (squatting into a deeper position on the knee) that will put the free foot out in front of you in a proper (beginner) position. I prefer to step off just outside of the wake and not directly behind the boat on the table.

A quick motion of the shoulders back, a tug on the rope, and lift your foot then set it down. The ski will be gone and you should do that in a smooth combined motion. A front fall means the knee was not bent enough (or in other words) the free foot was not out front far enough.

When you get off the ski and water is coming to your face. raise up a little and the spray will get easier. From there, you'll be footing from a step-off. Style and proper technique is not the issue at this time. Get off the ski and feel the water while footing. Your technique will develop as you progress. I'm old school. Your mileage may vary. All being said, a shorty barefoot suit or at least some short jump pants will make footing a bit more tolerable when learning.

smoketu
08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Having a good barefoot suit is key also. I've learned with one that was about 25 years old and had about as much padding as a normal wetsuit. We used to remove the bindings on a wake board, start slow get outside the wake and then take it up to speed before standing up. You would do whatever it took just to learn, after several face plants you figure it out.

WESSTAR
08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I use a wakeskate. It is easier to maneuver and quicker to get up on your feet than a kneeboard.

No Skeez
08-25-2011, 12:22 AM
I use a wakeskate. It is easier to maneuver and quicker to get up on your feet than a kneeboard.

I've found a wakeboard to be easier than a wakeskate for teaching people. With a wakeskate being shorter, the balance point is hard to find. With a wakeboard it's simple - just sit between the bindings. As with the kneeboard, once the rider (footer) places their feet gently in the water, the driver should accelerate. The hard part comes in trying to get your board shorts up and over the front wakeboard boot, though it is definitely possible. Downside to this method is that a full wakeboard setup can put you back up to $800 or so, so be careful where you use this method.

Good luck!

beef
08-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I learned years ago using the sitting on a kneeboard method, too. I would add that wearing a pair of old sneakers really helps when just starting out. It's surprising how much better they plane than feet, and it allows for much poorer form/lower speed when learning.

Justjoe
08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I learned years ago using the sitting on a kneeboard method, too. I would add that wearing a pair of old sneakers really helps when just starting out. It's surprising how much better they plane than feet, and it allows for much poorer form/lower speed when learning.

I bet that K-Swiss feels like crap though when you scorpion out a good kick to the back of your noggin!

aaron.
08-25-2011, 10:43 AM
i'm pumped about the number of non-boom footers on here!!!

side note, i'm not a boom-nazi; but if you haven't done it long-line, you've never done it.

=)

ssippiriverrat
08-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Ahhhh....another puriest!
I learned stepping off a ski before there were booms. I'm at the point now that I will only give a few minutes of training on the boom to get the proper body position, then they get behind the boat on the knee board. I've always called the boom "The Crutch" as well and I agree 100% that it allows bad form. Exhibit A: My neighbor who says he barefoots.

ok your going to need to clue me in on how this is bad form...torso isn't vertical?

thanks for all the comments...will try to document the weekend's adventures and report back...suit may be an issue...thought my buddy had an old one but apparently he threw it out...need to find one

aaron.
08-25-2011, 12:09 PM
haha yeah dude, thats a must. Unless you are looking for a good colon cleansing. lol

aaron.
08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
ok your going to need to clue me in on how this is bad form...torso isn't vertical?

not that he has bad footing form, it's that he is basically just dangling from the boom like it's a monkey bar.

ahhudgins
08-25-2011, 01:30 PM
not that he has bad footing form, it's that he is basically just dangling from the boom like it's a monkey bar.

Yup, that's not barefooting. His legs are way out in front of his body and the boom is almost above his head. He is just being pulled across the water and there is very little weight on his feet because the boom is so high and his body isn't over his feet. If he could at least use a 5 foot handle and put the boom down at chest level I would give him an 8 out of 10 :rolleyes:

They all hate me because I won't go "hang'n on the boom with them". I'll only go behind the boat.

JohnnyB
08-25-2011, 09:29 PM
After numerous punishing step off attempts, I bought a wetsuit and pair of shoe skis and learned to butt glide, tripod and stand with ease.....didn't take long to move from shoe skis to feet. All of this long line behind my 18 ft sea ray. Footed behind it from when I was 23 til I was 30 and bought my 92 prostar. Now I am 40 and teach people to foot off the boom....lots easier than the way I learned.

Kevin 89MC
08-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah I "cheated" and learned on a boom, then a 5' line, but progressed pretty quickly to long line. I will never forget my first long line - quite different than boom, and sooooo cool! I have tried stepping off, made it once, but now always get up deep water. Never tried a "tumble up" long line, I've heard it is WAY harder than doing it on the 5' line. Someday I may try, I do get tired of water up the nose. Footing is a blast, even on the boom, but I gotta agree, long line is real footing!
Kevin

gr82bgreen
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I used the kneeboard as well. If you want to cheat, use a pair of runners to learn on and get he feel for it. I know its not really footin, but once this is mastered its easier to do the real thing.

ahhudgins
08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah I "cheated" and learned on a boom, then a 5' line, but progressed pretty quickly to long line. I will never forget my first long line - quite different than boom, and sooooo cool! I have tried stepping off, made it once, but now always get up deep water. Never tried a "tumble up" long line, I've heard it is WAY harder than doing it on the 5' line. Someday I may try, I do get tired of water up the nose. Footing is a blast, even on the boom, but I gotta agree, long line is real footing!
Kevin

It's not "cheating" by learning on the boom, it's just like using training wheels. Sooner or later you must lose the training wheels and get behind the boat. The boom may be fun, but the "coolness factor" is greater behind the boat.:D

mrprostar
08-26-2011, 04:24 PM
It has taken me three years, but I'm very close to teaching myself to long line deep water. Basically reading things on here and watching YouTube videos has been my only instruction. This year I stood up for a few seconds, which was much better than I had done previously. The biggest difference was the barefoot wet suit. I was still very very sore on the sides of my butt from sitting too long on the water trying to find the right position and trying to not get tossed around like a rag doll. Long line from the tower without an aid or instruction is possible, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of Tylenol, and possibly an adult swim diaper.

ahhudgins
08-26-2011, 05:36 PM
It has taken me three years, but I'm very close to teaching myself to long line deep water. Basically reading things on here and watching YouTube videos has been my only instruction. This year I stood up for a few seconds, which was much better than I had done previously. The biggest difference was the barefoot wet suit. I was still very very sore on the sides of my butt from sitting too long on the water trying to find the right position and trying to not get tossed around like a rag doll. Long line from the tower without an aid or instruction is possible, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of Tylenol, and possibly an adult swim diaper.

An older gentleman taught me to step off a ski about 30 years ago. It took a few weekends and a lot of face plants but it was a learning experience. He gave me the basics, but it helps to have someone in the boat who can see what you are doing wrong and then have them relay that information to you, not just say "Ok, try it again". I love to teach people to ski and foot and then have them tell me "I've tried this before but no one ever told me what I was doing wrong..". A good instructor is priceless.

After learning the step off I had to learn everything else on my own. Deep water, one foot, wake crossings and tumble turns. I waited until I was about 40 before I attempted backwards footing and realized that I was too old to be attempting that on my own. I can come up backwards with shoe skis on the boom, but two attempts on my bare feet turned out pretty painful. At 49, I'm sticking to going forward.:D
footing

skibrain
08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
There was an "old guy" named Sam (in his 60s) on the lake when I was growing up. Barefooted, tricked, slalomed. I skied with him some when in high school and he was definitely my footing inspiration. Heck he was the ONLY guy I knew who barefooted when I was a kid.

Here he is. Cypress Gardens vinyl vest. What's a barefoot suit? :) He was footing into his 70s.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/12395382/184855616.jpg

I turn 51 in Sept. He's still my hero.

kstumpenhorst
08-27-2011, 12:17 AM
There is something about old guys doing something the rest of want to do and haven't mastered yet. I barefoot of the boom every year and do tumbles but have yet to get up and stay up long line deep water. I get horrible ear aches after every go of it. Really sucks because I would love to do some of the stuff I see these guys do on you tube

gr82bgreen
08-27-2011, 12:44 AM
There was an "old guy" named Sam (in his 60s) on the lake when I was growing up. Barefooted, tricked, slalomed. I skied with him some when in high school and he was definitely my footing inspiration. Heck he was the ONLY guy I knew who barefooted when I was a kid.

Here he is. Cypress Gardens vinyl vest. What's a barefoot suit? :) He was footing into his 70s.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/12395382/184855616.jpg

I turn 51 in Sept. He's still my hero.

Anyone on here footin at his age?

tex
08-27-2011, 12:58 AM
try using a kneeboard. get your feet in front of you and stand up when you are up to speed.

much easier than trying to drop a ski.

The way to go...just wait for speed and don't stand up....the speed will take the kneeboard away!

Ned
09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYzJ6Y2dVg

not quite that old... but "wait til you get to be my age" still gets thrown around as I am 52. Likely had the best year ever on the slalom ski this year. although its always open water, no course, finally feeling some of the techniques I have always read about.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYzJ6Y2dVg

Willski
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Okay. Haven't footed much in the last years, but I still do it at least once a year. I haven't had my one yet this year. I learned when I was 16. Several different methods off of the boom. Drop ski, kneeboard, pull around. I really needed to learn to drop a ski because my parents didn't have a boom. So then went to deepwater starts behind an I/O. Still do deeps and tumble ups longline.

Quinten
09-14-2011, 04:30 AM
So I tried to sit on a kneeboard, in my situation a wakeboard without bindings. And took my old vans shoes put them on. Than I told my dad/driver to hit the gas to 12-15 km/h so I get up the water with the wakeboard siting on it. Put my foots in front off me legs bent and told im to hit the gas to 63 km/h on gps. It was easy you just get up without knowing it you are getting up, you don't feel the wakeboard leave. I notice it I was up because al the spay in my eyes so I closed my knees. Than It was a little to fast and went to 57 km/h. Did it 2 for about 2*500m footing on my shoes. I only footed 2 at the boom and 1 at the short line. My footing on the long line was behind a crownline 182 i/o rope attached to pole and without barfootsuit, don't have that. There are people in my skiclub who are barefooring for 2 years and can't barely stand up on the long line. :smile:

stx22
09-21-2011, 10:20 PM
I just caught this thread and started to laugh thinking about learning to foot. Way back in the day I just heard that people were barefooting and that you had to go fast (I was probably 12). I jumped off of everything with the boat pinned and couldn't get it. So I talked my dad into a faster boat and the injuries kept getting worse (jumping off skis at 55+). I finally got it using the kneeboard and learned that planting the feet early was the way to go and then letting the driver gradually get up to speed. The kneeboard just falls away. Thankfully my dad finally bought me a barefoot book and things got much easier... and slower. After barefooting for about 10 years I got a mastercraft and bought a boom. It is pretty nice for learning new tricks but I learned everything the hard way and definitely the painful way. Good luck and Enjoy!