PDA

View Full Version : V dirve Thud noise???

98225VRS
08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey Guys, I am new to the site and new to Inboards. I bought this jewel of a Mastercraft about a month ago and I love it. The boat is a 1998 225VRS with the LT1 but I will have to check which tranny it is but the tranny works great and doesn't slip but when I'm pulling someone up I do hear a pop or like a thud come from the tranny. The noise is just 1 time at the beginning of every pull and after the thud its smooth through the rest of the throttle.On a hard start it will bang from the start but If I roll into the pull easy, it seems to make the noise right as the rider is getting up and I get more aggressive with throttle. Basically about a second in. Anyone have any ideas or had the same or similar issue. I looked all over the site for someone that looked like they were having the same noise but I didn't seem to find the thread if its there. Thanks in advance.

FrankSchwab
08-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Check the fluid level in the transmission - might be low. Make sure it's either a clear red (Dexron ATF in there) or clear tan (15w-40 in there). Cloudiness would indicate water in the transmission - and you don't want that.

Check the engine and transmission mounts, the rudder, the strut. Nothing should be loose. If that doesn't help, open the sundeck and have someone listen as you give a hard start (shut it down quick so you don't gain speed and rip the sundeck off) - maybe you can localize the thud.

/frank

Table Rocker
08-24-2011, 05:33 PM
The last person to post on here about a transmission thud during acceleration found that their anchor was causing the noise. Take a good look around.