PDA

View Full Version : 79 s and s redo

79 S@S rda
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Well here it is I picked this boat up for 1200 off craigslist Houston. It was a basket case. Motor in pieces trans in pieces gel coat not to bad no cracks anywhere to speak of stringers solid. Had no windshield or seat cushions. We found a windshield from a 77 in a scrap yard in Austin my brother pulled it off thinking the glass was trash and did a little damage to it but I restored the glass with one of
Those headlight resto kits and could not be happier. Granted it the wrong year but hell ill take what I can get. In the process of rebuilding the engine ATM motor was seized and po tried to beat out one of
The rods so replace all rods pistons and pins. New pump new carb dist and fuel pump. Rebuilt heads etc. Pics will follow.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Looking great. Definitely easier to find a project with a good hull and stringers. Great find on the windshield. Should you ever change to a correct year windshield, give me a shout - I would be interested in your '77 windshield.

gr82bgreen
08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Well here it is I picked this boat up for 1200 off craigslist Houston. It was a basket case. Motor in pieces trans in pieces gel coat not to bad no cracks anywhere to speak of stringers solid. Had no windshield or seat cushions. We found a windshield from a 77 in a scrap yard in Austin my brother pulled it off thinking the glass was trash and did a little damage to it but I restored the glass with one of
Those headlight resto kits and could not be happier. Granted it the wrong year but hell ill take what I can get. In the process of rebuilding the engine ATM motor was seized and po tried to beat out one of
The rods so replace all rods pistons and pins. New pump new carb dist and fuel pump. Rebuilt heads etc. Pics will follow.

Hull looks nice in the pics. Are you doing any upgrades on the engine rebuild. now is the perfect time for a set of gt40p heads. Instant HP.

liledgy
08-24-2011, 10:34 PM
ThIs boat is just another example of why Mastercraft built by far the best competion ski boat. The stringers ( not surprisingly) are still good. While you may spend a little time doing some motor work, it would pale to the time spent replacing the stringers. Just ask the owner of a pre 1993 ski nautique. Their ticking time bombs (According to the grand poohbahs of correct craft fan) in their own words. It's refreshing to hear another vintage MC has no stringer problems, but not suprising.

79 S@S rda
08-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Progress... Motor and transmission in alignment done. Carb will be here tomorrow. Need water hoses and to put the exhaust back in will start it this weekend.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Definitely looking good. Gotta love that first start after putting an engine back in. :cool:

03geetee
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Amen!

JTR

dpcsar
09-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Waiting to get my rebuilt engine in. I am jealous!

bretski75
09-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Looks awesome. Some day I hope to take a project like this on.

79 S@S rda
09-03-2011, 09:12 PM
It lives... After chasing old wiring issues and a small timing issue :) 180 out lol it lives sounds great runs great. Then had the unfortunate issue of installing the velvet drive pump 180 out. Not to bad slid back the tranney and spun the pump to proper index all is good. Thank you all for the info I received from these forums. Now it's time to tackle the interior.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Good to hear. Updated pictures???

79 S@S rda
10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Motor box done and driver seat done. Have to do the observers seat sides and fab up a back seat yet. Not to bad since I am using an old Kenmore machine and have not sewn in 20 years.

mikeg205
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Kenmore machine...lol...noticed on ebay that you can pick up a used uphosltery sewing machine for about $200...makes my thermostat replacement and engine mount restore (okay...scrape off a bit of rust) project pathetically easy on my 95 prostar... but getting very motivated to learn how to sew vinyl marine interiors...might a great side biz when I retire in 15-20 years... ugh...

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Motor box done and driver seat done. Have to do the observers seat sides and fab up a back seat yet. Not to bad since I am using an old Kenmore machine and have not sewn in 20 years.

Nice job..........looks great!

79 S@S rda
01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Wife bought me a sail rite so redoing everything. This is what I have so far. Waiting on vinyl to arrive at supplier to finish.

Slinkyredfoot
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Great job on your restoration so far, keep up the good work and take you time. Looks like you have a pretty solid boat and with the exception of a few things this is a great start.

I have owned a 79 since it was new and pretty much tore it all apart and redid it back in 07. It was a fun job and I totally enjoyed it, wish I had another one to do, I am envious. If I can be of any help let me know. good job.

79 S@S rda
02-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Did one try on observers but not good enough. That is one pain to sew. Will make another and post it when done.

Qwaxalot
02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
That rear seat looks outstanding. I had one made "professionally" about 20 years ago, and it's not near as nice looking as yours.