PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Marathons Don't Live Up To Their Name!

trickskier
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I've owned 4 boat trailers with Goodyear Marathon Tires and have had sidewall seperation issues with all of them. In my opinion they are JUNK!!! I've had 2 sidewalls blowouts within the last 30 days! I always check my tire pressures before I tow so under inflation was not an issue. I'll NEVER buy another Marathon again!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
There are other options out there that don't have problems.

curtish
08-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Was there just a bad batch of these made recently (04ish+)? I ask because our '01 X-9 has the original Marathons and they are in great shape. We considered replacing them because of the bad reputation that they have. However, without a single issue I am hesitant (it ain't free). I inspected them the other day and they have no cracks or anything and going on 10 years+.

airdrew99
08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I worked in a tire shop for a while. We had countless Goodyear tires come back with problems (some tires had less than 50 miles on them). The only Michelin tire that ever came back while I worked there was because a woman hit a curb with the tire and it developed a "goose egg" on the sidewall. I vote for Michelin!!

Goalie_ken
08-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Trick - what was the manufacture date on the Goodyears?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Was there just a bad batch of these made recently (04ish+)? I ask because our '01 X-9 has the original Marathons and they are in great shape. We considered replacing them because of the bad reputation that they have. However, without a single issue I am hesitant (it ain't free). I inspected them the other day and they have no cracks or anything and going on 10 years+.

Marathons were a great tire at one point. Then something changed and they haven't been the same since. There appears to be a large variation in the quality from batch to batch.

Running 10 year old tires is just an invitation to change tires on the side of the road. Just sayin'

Stephen Nordquist
08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
I have just replaced my seven year old marathons with maxxis st trailer tires. Took a 560 mile round trip to arkansas and they were great!. Maxxis is the only trailer tire that i could not find any bad reviews on. The weather was in high 90s and broke a hundred during trip and tires performed flawlessly. Also they look great on the trailer.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-24-2011, 12:25 AM
I have just replaced my seven year old marathons with maxxis st trailer tires. Took a 560 mile round trip to arkansas and they were great!. Maxxis is the only trailer tire that i could not find any bad reviews on. The weather was in high 90s and broke a hundred during trip and tires performed flawlessly. Also they look great on the trailer.

Maxxis makes a great tire. You will be very happy with them.

skierdan
08-24-2011, 01:09 AM
I thought they named them Marathons cause they were only good for 26 miles

Cary K.
08-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I run Maxxis as well, and have had great luck with them.

x-swagger
08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
HATE freaking Marathons... 3 blowouts this summer.
The only thing my local tire shop had in the right size was the Transmasters. Any thoughts on these?

I have Good Years on my truck and love them, but the Marathons suck ***.

GT500 MC
08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Marathons were a great tire at one point. Then something changed and they haven't been the same since. There appears to be a large variation in the quality from batch to batch.

Running 10 year old tires is just an invitation to change tires on the side of the road. Just sayin'

Agreed....at the same time, that's a really good sales pitch. Good way to possibly alter vacation plans.

bobx1
08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35972&highlight=marathons

thatsmrmastercraft
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Agreed....at the same time, that's a really good sales pitch. Good way to possibly alter vacation plans.

No sales pitch intended. Most people would never drive around on 10 year old car or truck tires, but never give a second thought to 10 year old trailer tires.

LaRue
08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
been running Marathons on single axle trailer for past 1 1/2 years. no concerns. we put 2k plus on them each boating season.

Goalie_ken
08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I've had mine on for 2 years. No problems. We tow to Lake Powell and other AZ lakes in 100+ degree temps. I have Maxxis tires on before and they started to separate on year 2. I did however think the Maxxis tires trailered quite well...

Thrall
08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Xswagger, those DuraTracs are awesome tires!
I had a set on my company truck, which was constantly loaded down and beat regularly off road, mixed with 70-100mi/day of 80-85mph highway driving and they are the best "mudders" I've had for all around driving, great snow traction in the 1st 60% or so treadwear as well.
Same sentiment as most on the Marathons, although my buddy with an 06X15 has the orig Marathons with an 05mfg date. Trailer has low miles (<5,000 probably) and been garaged alomst always since new.
Those tires have made a couple 500-1000mi trips just fine this year :confused:. Guess I got all the bad ones!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I had a set on my company truck, which was constantly loaded down and beat regularly off road, mixed with 70-100mi/day of 80-85mph highway driving and they are the best "mudders" I've had for all around driving, great snow traction in the 1st 60% or so treadwear as well.
Same sentiment as most on the Marathons, although my buddy with an 06X15 has the orig Marathons with an 05mfg date. Trailer has low miles (<5,000 probably) and been garaged alomst always since new.
Those tires have made a couple 500-1000mi trips just fine this year :confused:. Guess I got all the bad ones!

Not just you......there are plenty of bad ones. Certainly there are more Marathons that don't fail, there is just a higher percentage of tire failures than in the other brands.

east tx skier
08-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Turns out mine didn't have knots in them. Just the little crease where they were connected. Still, at 4.5 years, I am glad to have some new Maxxis tires under my boat.

SkiDog
08-25-2011, 08:41 AM
How come nobody is running these?

d2jp
08-25-2011, 09:40 AM
I needed trailer tires this summer, and after reading the Marathon horror stories on TT, decided I would avoid them! The tire shop that I've been dealing with for years recommended "Turnpike" trailer tires. They are a private label by Continental/General, made in the USA and distributed by Parrish Tire Co. I was skeptical since I had never heard of them, the owner of the shop highly recommended them. So far I've towed 1500+ miles and the tires are holding up well. I've stopped to check them after towing for 3 hours and they've never felt hot. I check the air pressure before every trip, and have new seals/bearings in the hubs. I'm using the 'C' rated tire - same load capacity as the original, but radials instead of bias. I think they were around $100/tire.

DemolitionMan
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
How come nobody is running these?

I ran those for ten years on the 78, the same set. I only had one blow out and that was on interstate 75 in Macon, Georgia doing about 75 mph.

x-swagger
08-25-2011, 10:07 AM

I know man I love the Duratracs. I've had the Nitto Terra Grappler and BFG All Terrains before these, and I like these better than both the others.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I needed trailer tires this summer, and after reading the Marathon horror stories on TT, decided I would avoid them! The tire shop that I've been dealing with for years recommended "Turnpike" trailer tires. They are a private label by Continental/General, made in the USA and distributed by Parrish Tire Co. I was skeptical since I had never heard of them, the owner of the shop highly recommended them. So far I've towed 1500+ miles and the tires are holding up well. I've stopped to check them after towing for 3 hours and they've never felt hot. I check the air pressure before every trip, and have new seals/bearings in the hubs. I'm using the 'C' rated tire - same load capacity as the original, but radials instead of bias. I think they were around $100/tire.

Continental makes a fine tire, but there are good trailer tire options that are considerably under $100.