PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding behind an X1 ?

Lakeside09
08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Post the pro's and con's (if any) of this boat. I am thinking it my be what I am looking for next. I like a steep wake. Thanks!

bobx1
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I have had one since 2007.

Pro's - best all around hull MC has ever made (RIP). Pretty good ski wake. Great wakeboard wake. And from what I have read on here, it can produce a good surf wake when properly weighted but we have never surfed it.

Con's - interior space. Gets cramped after 4-5 people.

Winger44
08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Have had my 2009 for 2 full seasons now with just under 100 hrs. Best all around boat in the MC lineup that isn't going to require a mortgage if you're buying it new. The X2 is a bit bigger and depending on who you talk to surfs better. I have surfed mine for a few years and can run a nice wave on the stb side and prt. Its all about the weighting.

Dude named mccobmd on here has one and quite frankly I used a lot of his info for my X1, he has been spot on with all his advice so perhaps have a view of his posts regarding this model boat. I did a lot of research and rode behind and X star from 2000ish and apparently the X1 is same hull from back in the day. Ballasts full the wake is a stunner for wakeboarding, very steep face with a nice hard wake for poppin ya up and out. Best advice is test drive a few and make the best investment for yourself and your crew.

bobx1 is right though not a tonne of space, but how many friends do you really want in your boat at any given time. My max is 4, or it just cuts in to "my time". LOL

Great boat.

Double D
08-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Post the pro's and con's (if any) of this boat. I am thinking it my be what I am looking for next. I like a steep wake. Thanks!

Send a PM to Calls311, he has a nice X1.

SWeaver
08-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I got video clips surfing behind a 205v (same as x1) if you'd like to see the surf wake. It is nice and easy to learn on. Most noobies surf without the handle in an hour or less with a little instruction.

The wakeboard wake is one of the best ever from any manufacturer. It is naturally robust and rampy, but if you want steep, more weight aft, less up front and you can get super steep and launch straight up. End of that story.

Slalom is good, i hear, but we dont use it for that. I am guessing are more concerned about wakeboarding and surfing if you are trading from 209.

i went from a ps190, so the storage is plenty for us. we dont trailer it, though. regularly 6 people and no room issues for us.

decent fuel burn, easy to tow at 3200lbs. fit in standard garage if your tower folds down.

i love ours, people drive up to us and compliment all the time. then they ride behind it and tell us they want to sell their new moomba.

trickskier
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
My X-1 is the best MasterCraft I've ever owned!!!

mccobmd
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words Winger. I agree S weaver. It is the easiest out of the box boat to do everything. Change out the hard tanks, run 750's in the back half full and KGB full with 150 in the nose (fat brick up front and the others plumbed in) and it will give you the steepest ramp anyone needs. The X2 and X Star (new hull) are longer ramps and also wider. Not many people talk about it but the reason a lot of new tricks were landed behind this hull is it's not a far WTW. I can have mine ready to surf in 15 min with a 3 ft tall wave that has a 4ft long sweet spot. I still slalom and am thinking about a wake plate to see if I can soften it a little. The ski wake gets smaller but is still hard at 30+. The other thing that is nice is it is realtively easy to avoid washout if the weight distribution is not perfect. I also almost never have more than 7 people so it's not too small for us. Below is the wakeboard wake with no ballast at 22mph, surf wake at 9.9mph

agarabaghi
08-24-2011, 12:09 PM
hey. i have an x1.

great boat, not very many bells and whistles, but it is an great all around boat for almost anything you want to do. My dad slaloms behind it and my pro level friends can still kill it.

I have an 06 and i wish i had the newer tower from 07+ ... but thats my only issue.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6025/imageuup.jpg

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9928/imagevag.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4973/13015730.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4422/30447578.jpg

willyt
08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
boy... on that wake hit i sure hope he's starting a toeside frontside spin...

haha, think the subject has been covered pretty well, but i'll add to it. I have an 05 X2 (same hull with a little more bells and whistles stock). Do wish i had the tower from 07 just like agarabaghi, but the 05-06 tower is very functional. Can't say enough about the wake with some weight.

sand2snow22
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
hey. i have an x1.

great boat, not very many bells and whistles, but it is an great all around boat for almost anything you want to do. My dad slaloms behind it and my pro level friends can still kill it.

I have an 06 and i wish i had the newer tower from 07+ ... but thats my only issue.
]

Never seen that wheel or stereo remote on the X-1. We need to get you a better throttle knob :D

76S&S
08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Great hull, you can make the ramp more steap or more rampy by how you add weight. More weight up front and it is more rampy, more in back = steeper. We run about 1,800 for wakeboarding. 800 in the rear, 300 center and 700 up front.

Note, I also take a slalom run every now and then. It's not DD but it's about as good as you can get for a V drive.

agarabaghi
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Ts 7 actually, or maybe a 9 not really sure but that kid rips.

We run 2x 750 in the back, 370 in the center, and 560lbs of steel in the nose... so about 2430lbs total plus gear and people...

MCX 350 engine with 14.25x 14 prop

bturner2
08-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I've owned a 03 X2 and now own a 07 X2. Behind the boat the 03 was more versatile, great all around boat (translation.... you could still get an acceptable slalom wake out of it). Mine had the hard tanks which destroyed the storage and the cockpit as others have mentioned was cramped with anything more than 4 people. If you own a cottage this shouldn't be a big problem.

The 07 isn't much of a slalom skier but I've found it to be great with wakeboarding and surfing. Storage is cavernous with the stock tanks under the floor. We regularly take 6 to 7 people out before getting the cramped feeling we did with the 03 and anything more than 4 people.

If I were buying again and had to choose between the two with money not being a deciding factor, while the 03 was a fine affordable boat my personal preference would be the 07. Just too many creature comforts and refinements over the older boat.

helton333
08-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I love the wake on mine, it's steep and keeps the same shape with and without ballast, just gets deeper and taller. Plus these are affordable. I don't want to spend another 30K for the very few times I would ever have more than just my family and a couple friends in the boat.

agarabaghi
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I've owned a 03 X2 and now own a 07 X2. Behind the boat the 03 was more versatile, great all around boat (translation.... you could still get an acceptable slalom wake out of it). Mine had the hard tanks which destroyed the storage and the cockpit as others have mentioned was cramped with anything more than 4 people. If you own a cottage this shouldn't be a big problem.

The 07 isn't much of a slalom skier but I've found it to be great with wakeboarding and surfing. Storage is cavernous with the stock tanks under the floor. We regularly take 6 to 7 people out before getting the cramped feeling we did with the 03 and anything more than 4 people.

If I were buying again and had to choose between the two with money not being a deciding factor, while the 03 was a fine affordable boat my personal preference would be the 07. Just too many creature comforts and refinements over the older boat.

The 03 and 07 should be no different with all the ballast emptied.

sand2snow22
08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
The 03 and 07 should be no different with all the ballast emptied.

No different what? Big difference in ski wake.

agarabaghi
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
03 x2 and 07 x1 are the exact same hull. both boats are identical hull wise.

bobx1
08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I've owned a 03 X2 and now own a 07 X2.....

Agarabaghi....You mis-read what he typed. Those are two different boats. The 03 X2 is the 07 X1. The 07 X2 is the pickle fork.

205V, Original Xstar, X2 non-pickle fork, X1 are the same boat/hull.

agarabaghi
08-24-2011, 03:29 PM
oh whoops, i missed 07 x2, thought i read 07 x1 my bad .

Lakeside09
08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
So basically it is the best wake for the money... ? I am looking at like an 06' or 07' model...

Iskidaily
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
love my '02 x-star (same hull) for multi - sport... wakeboard wake is terrific, slalom wake is pretty good. If I were still skiing tournaments, I'd want a real ski boat, but this boat still gets thumbs up from world class wakeboarders and from the family (4 kids)

mccobmd
08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
The 06 is more basic. The tower isn't as flashy but doesn't need braces. I looked at both. Went with the 06 because the outflow on the ballast is above the water so you know when it is full and empty. Has analog gagues with no electronics. Not a pretty as billet but less moving (electric) parts equals less to fix. I personally like the tower that is all tube steel The three black dots behind the mastercraft letters are the bilge and ballast outflow. If water comes out when you are filling it's full. When it stops coming out it is empty. This was also the last year without ballast timers. Truthfully the biggest reason I went with the 06 is the 07 was all red and so not really my style.

Lakeside09
08-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Do the racks on the 06 swivel? Would I be able to pick up a fiberglass platform for it? and what should I be looking at paying for an 06' in excellent condition with a couple hundred hours on it...? Just an idea... ?

JRW160
08-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Those are definitely swivel racks on that 06 in the picture. Fiberglass platforms are available for it. I would think you could find one in excellent shape somewhere between $35k-$40k.

You should probably keep the 2005 X2 in mind. I'm pretty sure it's the same boat.

mccobmd
08-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I upgraded to swivel racks. Don't have any idea what you'll pay. My boat has 150 hours but is not for sale. I can't find anything I like enough to part with it. Some of them came with swivel racks.

sand2snow22
08-25-2011, 11:45 PM
That is a beautiful boat!

mccobmd
08-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks sand, I went with the more is less. All white is understated and classy, never goes out of style. I think this hull will go down as the greatest all around ever made.

mccobmd
08-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I would say that the teak is by far the better platform. Low maintainence and lighter.

kevkan
08-26-2011, 01:07 AM
I think teak is the way to go on the swim platform. My only complaint about the teak on my '07, slide-up, removable platform is this: When the rear of the boat is facing incoming waves/rollers, water shoots up between the front of the platform and rear of boat (transom). Its really a pain and gets all over the sun pad.

I think I would actually prefer the '06 tower with swivel racks to the '07 tower. The tubular tower is much more rigid. My tower, even with the braces flexes side to side quite a lot. There are also a billion allen screws to keep tight, and dozen or so knobs to keep tightening, but if you over tighten the handle just unscrews from the stud when you try and loosen the knob. I have no idea how heavy the rear portion of the '06 is with 4 speakers and/or lights, but my '07 with 4 speakers is really heavy.

You are also correct about the '06 ballast system being better. With my '07 I know when they are full cause it overflows out the side. But to empty, I have to open the ski locker to visually check. The rear hard tanks, I either guess, or knock on the side. I'll probably replace the tanks with some 750 lb. bags.

The hull is awesome. Will handle rough water ok, will surf with just stock ballast and a few passengers, slalom wake is pretty good, and wakeboard wake is great. Not a real good trick ski boat, in my opinion.

You definitely want Perfect Pass!

agarabaghi
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
I would like to get some swivel racks, but i think it would be about $1200 to purchase, and apparently you have to cut into the tower to mount them.

I have the fiberglass platform, and its ok, but much smaller than the teak.

bobx1
08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
.....I would think you could find one in excellent shape somewhere between $35k-$40k.......

Depends on the area of the country (I am from the south - the west coast has better deals). I had someone offer me mid/upper 30's for my 07 X1 with just over 100 hours and it is mint condition. Have not really thought about selling it but may think about it in the next year as son #2 has gone off to college (son #1 is now married) and son #3 plays High School football and has summer workouts 5-6 days a week and games have just started. I only put about 20 hours on her this summer.

Kevkan...

A fellow tematalker helped me solve that problem with the teak/deck space and it has worked like a champ. Pick this up from Radio Shack ( http://cableorganizer.com/rubber-ducts/ ), cut length to fit, screw into teak platform (the screws can be recessed where the cords go) and no more splash!

mccobmd
08-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I would like to get some swivel racks, but i think it would be about $1200 to purchase, and apparently you have to cut into the tower to mount them.

I have the fiberglass platform, and its ok, but much smaller than the teak.

I got mine and they just went on in place of the others, no cutting. Mine were 06's I found used, may be the difference