PDA

View Full Version : Getting Kids started wakeboarding

jconover
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Can someone with some experience with kids provide some kind advice on a first wakeboard? Make/model, boot type? Took my kids and their friends on the lake last weekend, taught them all to ski on the bar, then the rope... one boy (age 10) was commenting that it was sort-of boring --so I think it might be time to hook him up on something more challenging. I'm not much of a wakeboarder myself - I can get up and maneuver, but I'm not into aerial tricks... but I get the impression the kids can/will be.

Thanks in advance!

rlwiley
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
My now 8yr old has been riding Hyperlite Motive 109 since he was 4.
We have always used the tried and true learning techniques passed down from my parents.....

1. Arms straight
2. Knees slightly bent
3. Let the boat pull you up
4. Follow us

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-23-2011, 04:45 PM
My sons started on a Hyperlite State size will depend on how much the weigh.

Remember you can pull a wake boarder really, really slow until they get a feel for it. I often pull new boarders at around 11 mph.

gr82bgreen
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
My sons started on a Hyperlite State size will depend on how much the weigh.

Remember you can pull a wake boarder really, really slow until they get a feel for it. I often pull new boarders at around 11 mph.

And pull them up really, really slow as well. They still pop right up.

ricford
08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Can someone with some experience with kids provide some kind advice on a first wakeboard? Make/model, boot type? Took my kids and their friends on the lake last weekend, taught them all to ski on the bar, then the rope... one boy (age 10) was commenting that it was sort-of boring --so I think it might be time to hook him up on something more challenging. I'm not much of a wakeboarder myself - I can get up and maneuver, but I'm not into aerial tricks... but I get the impression the kids can/will be.

Thanks in advance!

I'm all for teaching kids new things, but your boy said that skiing was BORING! Sacrilegious!! Get him to try dropping one and see how boring it is. Then he can start using a slalom course and never be bored again.
Just kidding, good luck with the wakeboarding.

Trig2275
08-23-2011, 05:38 PM
My boys 8 & 10 ride the Ronix Vision 120 with matching boots.

Knees in your chest
Elbows around your knees
Butt to the board
Wait for the boat to pull you up like tug o war

Jerseydave
08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Daughter Taylor got up and rode for 2 mins. 8 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2mZwOoMng

Pull the little ones real slow at first, actually just dragging them.
It helps to run along the shore/beach first to get them use to the pull before putting them behind the boat. If someone is in the water floating next to them they can help keep the board steady for the initial takeoff.

Tell them the board is like an airplane wing, angle it toward the boat (point your toes) so the board will get on plane.

NashCraft
08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
What is the next step?

I get my daughter up, but then she does two switches and wipes out after 30 yards!

How do I descibe the proper position?

Thanks

jafo9
08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
I tell kids to pretend to try put the handle on their hip to go straight and to put it in their back pocket for toeside. Heelside usually takes care of itself. I like the hinge type boots for kids as they are so easy to use for little hands.

jonboy688
09-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the tips guys got my 10 year old up in two trys this weekend and got my buddy up in a few more trys for the first time

jconover
09-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys - I know someone posted a link to a sale Hyperlite 119 with kids bindings on amazon the other day. I snapped off and ordered one, and got a cancellation order today (out of stock). If anyone sees a good clearance sales on a 119 with bindings, please shout it out on this thread :-)

FlatH2O
09-24-2011, 01:28 PM
if you can't find the 119 -and like someone already mentioned -I bought my kids the hyperlite state 130 to share, it's a larger board but the boys still ride it after 3 years. just my 02 cents

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-24-2011, 01:42 PM
My kids started on a 125 and they would have been fine on a 130 also.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys - I know someone posted a link to a sale Hyperlite 119 with kids bindings on amazon the other day. I snapped off and ordered one, and got a cancellation order today (out of stock). If anyone sees a good clearance sales on a 119 with bindings, please shout it out on this thread :-)

your probably not going to find any under $300 this time of year, most stores have already clearanced off all the deals...
you could prolly find a deal on just a blank board and find bindings elsewhere...
http://www.waterskis.com/Hyperlite-Motive-Kids-Wakeboard-p/hyperlite_motive_kids.htm?gdftrk=gdfV22552_a_7c873 _a_7c5126_a_7cHyperlite_Motive_kids

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-24-2011, 05:56 PM
$100 hyperlite 119 new condition, he is close to my home, I could pick it up for you and ship it just pm if interested...
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2603882947.html

skitilldark
11-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Not to thread jack, but are there any binding preferences that make it easier for them to get their feet in and out?

03x30
11-14-2013, 12:15 PM
http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/wake/packages/s_price-asc.aspx

Evo outlet has good packages. I got the state 125 and remix for my 8yr old last fall for $220. Just got to watch for it.

skitilldark
11-14-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/wake/packages/s_price-asc.aspx

Evo outlet has good packages. I got the state 125 and remix for my 8yr old last fall for $220. Just got to watch for it.

Does he get them on and off easily? Worried that if it is too much trouble or doesn't hold their feet well they will give up trying to learn.

skitilldark
11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
My kids started on a 125 and they would have been fine on a 130 also.

How old we're they when they started riding it?

Nick911
11-14-2013, 06:25 PM
I have a Hyperlite Motive 109 for my 5 year old. The last couple years he's been riding on his stomach on a knee board behind the boat so he was comfortable back there and not afraid of wiping out. We started this spring with drills in the grass with board on and rope, knees bent, arm straight, stand up. In the water for the first few times I sat in lake with him and helped him pop up by pushing him out; after a couple tries he's able to get up now on his own. We use about 60' of rope for him with a nice even pull. We started off pulling slowly but we found it much better to be more aggressive on the pull.

He rides fairly well and with the X25 he needs to stay between the wake.

Will use the same technique to get my 4 year old up next year. They both play hockey and skate 6 days a week all year except 2 months of summer so they have developed strong legs and good balance which had helped the quick progression as well I'm sure.

neil.anderson63
11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
We used a Hyperlite 124 board for the kids to share. As a 6 year old, my daughter who was super tiny - We sat her on the edge of a flat tube, I held her vest until the rope had tension. She said GO and off she went for about 500 yards. My Dad spun the boat around to pick her up and she said "I'm good, pull me back to Dad".
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=5777

uplander
11-14-2013, 09:06 PM
we have the Hyperlite State and boots work fine, I need to help him but pretty easy with the MC compared to my old I/O swim platform.

skitilldark
11-15-2013, 11:27 AM
I have a Hyperlite Motive 109 for my 5 year old. The last couple years he's been riding on his stomach on a knee board behind the boat so he was comfortable back there and not afraid of wiping out. We started this spring with drills in the grass with board on and rope, knees bent, arm straight, stand up. In the water for the first few times I sat in lake with him and helped him pop up by pushing him out; after a couple tries he's able to get up now on his own. We use about 60' of rope for him with a nice even pull. We started off pulling slowly but we found it much better to be more aggressive on the pull.

Will use the same technique to get my 4 year old up next year. They both play hockey and skate 6 days a week all year except 2 months of summer so they have developed strong legs and good balance which had helped the quick progression as well I'm sure.

I'm glad you mentioned the x25. We are going to have one for next season and my number 1concern would be how the kids react to that much bigger wake. Do yours seem to be good with it?

skitilldark
11-15-2013, 11:29 AM

I tried to teach my 7 year old how to surf last summer but her main issue seems to be no balance. She still can't ride a bike yet either so I'm wondering how I can get around the balance thing.

JMLVMI
11-15-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm all for teaching kids new things, but your boy said that skiing was BORING! Sacrilegious!! Get him to try dropping one and see how boring it is. Then he can start using a slalom course and never be bored again.
Just kidding, good luck with the wakeboarding.

This.

Nick911
11-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the x25. We are going to have one for next season and my number 1concern would be how the kids react to that much bigger wake. Do yours seem to be good with it?

He had just turned 5 last summer and isn't going anywhere near the wake yet. He does jump it on the kneeboard though, I don't think he knows enough to be scared of it.

Nick911
11-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I tried to teach my 7 year old how to surf last summer but her main issue seems to be no balance. She still can't ride a bike yet either so I'm wondering how I can get around the balance thing.

Snowboarding would be a good start.

kgrove
11-15-2013, 04:58 PM
I'd recommend two steps in getting a kid into a bigger wake like the X25.

First start them off on a long rope 75-80'. Tell them to stay in between the wakes. Get them comfortable going straight first. Then have them go back and forth between the wakes. As you feel they have some balance and board control - probably at least several sets or days depending on the kid, age, prior experience with similar sports, etc - you can start increasing the boat speed. I don't get mine above 15mph until they look very confident and are easily doing S-turns between the wakes. Once they get up to 17 or maybe 18 mph it's time to make it more challenging.

Step two, I change them to a very short rope - 55' or so - and dump all ballast on the boat. The combination of the short rope and unweighted x25 will give them a clean wake to play on at a low enough speed they don't injured themselves and/or start to get scared of what could happen. Then I try to have them go outside the wake then come back to the middle in each direction at the lowest speed I can give them a clean wake - will depend on the boat, rope length, and how many people are in the boat but hopefully you can do it in the 15-17mph range. Let them get used to dealing with the wake without jumping yet.

I had to switch my coaching technique when we moved to an X25 from an x15 because of the bigger wake. That's when I changed to a long rope to start and make them learn in between the wakes before shoving them on a big wake. Even unweighted, the x25 wake is good sized to a 4' and 60lb kid. The bigger wake also doesn't clean up at as low a speed as boats with smaller wakes. I'm a big believer that you want to teach kids at as slow a speed as you can so they learn to love the sport and not fear it. Drag them into a face plant at 18mph is a quick way to get them uninterested in going again.

skitilldark
11-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd recommend two steps in getting a kid into a bigger wake like the X25.

First start them off on a long rope 75-80'. Tell them to stay in between the wakes. Get them comfortable going straight first. Then have them go back and forth between the wakes. As you feel they have some balance and board control - probably at least several sets or days depending on the kid, age, prior experience with similar sports, etc - you can start increasing the boat speed. I don't get mine above 15mph until they look very confident and are easily doing S-turns between the wakes. Once they get up to 17 or maybe 18 mph it's time to make it more challenging.

Step two, I change them to a very short rope - 55' or so - and dump all ballast on the boat. The combination of the short rope and unweighted x25 will give them a clean wake to play on at a low enough speed they don't injured themselves and/or start to get scared of what could happen. Then I try to have them go outside the wake then come back to the middle in each direction at the lowest speed I can give them a clean wake - will depend on the boat, rope length, and how many people are in the boat but hopefully you can do it in the 15-17mph range. Let them get used to dealing with the wake without jumping yet.

I had to switch my coaching technique when we moved to an X25 from an x15 because of the bigger wake. That's when I changed to a long rope to start and make them learn in between the wakes before shoving them on a big wake. Even unweighted, the x25 wake is good sized to a 4' and 60lb kid. The bigger wake also doesn't clean up at as low a speed as boats with smaller wakes. I'm a big believer that you want to teach kids at as slow a speed as you can so they learn to love the sport and not fear it. Drag them into a face plant at 18mph is a quick way to get them uninterested in going again.

That is great info. Thanks a ton.

03x30
11-15-2013, 08:04 PM

My 7 yr old had zero balance .. Tae Kwon Do .. now he's limber (can do splits), he's strong (can do 20+ knuckle push ups) and he's got great balance. I'm hoping those spinning kicks will translate to aerials! 8p 8p

He started at 5 and just got his black belt, so its not something that happens overnight, but its a continual improvement.

Nick911
11-17-2013, 05:15 PM
My 7 yr old had zero balance .. Tae Kwon Do .. now he's limber (can do splits), he's strong (can do 20+ knuckle push ups) and he's got great balance. I'm hoping those spinning kicks will translate to aerials! 8p 8p

He started at 5 and just got his black belt, so its not something that happens overnight, but its a continual improvement.

Wow black belt at 7! I'd assume his wakeboarding progression would be quick as well.