PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

captain planet
08-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Well, we just had an earthquake here in Copley Ohio at 2:00 today. An office full of geologists verified it as we all experienced it together.

Anyone else feel it?

rlwiley
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Felt it here in Augusta, GA at the desk in the office. Kinda like sitting in the boat going over some small waves.

Bouyhead
08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Felt a little shake in NYC

captain planet
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
It apparently originated near Richmond Virginia with a magnitude of 5.8. So it was felt in Copley Ohio (Akron) and Augusta GA.

Anyone else?

Kyle's_prostar205
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
There was a 5.3 quake in southern Colorado last night. Kinda weird if you ask me...

Cary K.
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
We got a good shaking here in Central / Eastern NC.

captain planet
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-85.-75.php

Here is the USGS link for recent earthqukes...this one.

Sodar
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow. This a big quake for an area that is not used to them. I am sure a lot of people were asking what the heck was going on!

captain planet
08-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow. This a big quake for an area that is not used to them. I am sure a lot of people were asking what the heck was going on!

I know this is small potatoes compared to what you are used to out west, but this is news out our direction.

This is the second one I have experienced sitting it this same office......maybe it's a sign? :rolleyes:

BallBushing
08-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Hartford, CT had a jolt. Hope it doesn't shake the lake too much. Plan to wakeboard this evening

dummy
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
My buddy in Jersey just said he felt it.

Double D
08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
My wife felt it pretty good in Southern Massillon. I didn't feel it in Jackson TWP (My office) but it was probably because I had to pee and was rocking the chair anyway... :mad::rolleyes:

Kyle
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
No shaking here in Texas.

tommcat
08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
just felt one here in MA, 3 months after a tornado ripped through, and now they say a hurricane is coming.......what the heck is going on??

east tx skier
08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Several older skyscrapers in NYC are apparently evacuating. I know the Cali guys wouldn't get to worked up over a 5.8, but I wouldn't want to be in a tall building in NY that was not designed for that kind of shake.

CantRepeat
08-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Several older skyscrapers in NYC are apparently evacuating. I know the Cali guys wouldn't get to worked up over a 5.8, but I wouldn't want to be in a tall building in NY that was not designed for that kind of shake.

Yeah, didn't feel it.

wrobins1
08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Felt the shake pretty well here in central WV. Funny thing is I looked down at my dog because I thought he was scratching hard enough to shake the POS rental house then looked around to make sure Rosie O'Donnel had not snunk into my office to do jumping jacks. When I didn't see that I figured it had to be an earthwake.

TxsRiverRat
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
No shaking here in Texas.

Besides you n big bertha!!

:banana:

soacj
08-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I work in Richmond, where I'm at currently, and it shook pretty good for about 40 seconds. More importantly, the epicenter was just south of Lake Anna, where my X2's at:D.

Almost all phone service was down within 20 seconds of the tremors, and was sporadic for an hour after. Like someone else said, not a huge quake for some areas, but a real eye opener for central VA.

Jay

Jerseydave
08-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I heard it originated in Mineral VA. That is Lake Anna.....which has a nuclear power plant on it! It also has a pretty large dam IIRC.

DogPaw is from there I believe......hopefully all is well. Maybe some locals from the area will chime in.

SWeaver
08-23-2011, 04:59 PM

jamica joe
08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
We felt it here in ATL... It felt like someone was stomping thru the cheep a$$ office I work in

beef
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Got rocked pretty good in MD. Glad to not have heard of any injuries.

norris_ps205
08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Felt it in downtown Columbus, OH. On the 26th floor of an office building...felt the floor moving.

soacj
08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
I heard it originated in Mineral VA. That is Lake Anna.....which has a nuclear power plant on it! It also has a pretty large dam IIRC.

DogPaw is from there I believe......hopefully all is well. Maybe some locals from the area will chime in.

All's well at Lake Anna...Popped the breakers on the reactors, as designed. Lake hasn't drained yet so I'm guessing the dam's good8p.

Hammer
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Talked to several people that felt it here in Raleigh, NC. I was not one of them, I felt nothing. From what I can figure I was in the car.

mayo93prostar
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
We felt it here in Annapolis, MD and our office evacuated the building for a while. Washington DC evacuated the capital building and the Metro subway service is running trains at slow speed of 15 mph so there are large backups at the metro rail stations. It shook our building for about 40 seconds and then was done.

Covi
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I felt the office shake at work in Northern VT.

ccelia
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Felt a nice shake in Washington DC today. We were evacuated and sent home from work, although traffic getting out of the city is an absolute mess right now. Hoping there is no damage at my home in Alexandria...

plunk77
08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Felt it in Kent ohio... woke me up from a much needed nap between football practices

ahhudgins
08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I work in Richmond, where I'm at currently, and it shook pretty good for about 40 seconds. More importantly, the epicenter was just south of Lake Anna, where my X2's at:D.

Almost all phone service was down within 20 seconds of the tremors, and was sporadic for an hour after. Like someone else said, not a huge quake for some areas, but a real eye opener for central VA.

Jay

I'm in Lynchburg and was standing up on a concrete floor working on a job when I felt it start to shake. We have train tracks within 50 yards of our shop so I was waiting for the sound of the train...which never came. I kept watching my tools vibrate on the table so I knew some thing weird was going on.

A guy from Verizon told me that they didn't lose phone service, the lines were just over loaded with women calling every body they knew asking "Did you feel that?" Women, don't b*tch at me...I'm just repeating what the Verizon guy said!:rolleyes:

soacj
08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
4.2 aftershock hit right as I got home. Looking around the house, every wall hanging is crooked, books are fallen on shelves, and one large picture fell (during the quake, not the aftershock.) My wife, who was in the house during the aftershock said one of the dogs was running from window to window barking for no apparent reason a couple minutes prior to the tremors.

Jay

73blue
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Got shook pretty good...by some idiots who don't know the meaning of "No Wake". Kinda hard to feel an earthquake on a floating dock.

DemolitionMan
08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I did not notice it here in Augusta, glad everyone is ok.

curtish
08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
All is quiet here in NorCal.

kkkeating
08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Only one???

Barefooter92
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Working at the Honda plant in Russells Point Ohio today and people in the job trailers felt it. I however was on a gator running aroun at that time.

Skipper
08-23-2011, 11:18 PM
I blame Obama....................it's the end of the world as we know it. He isn't satisfied with just running the country into the ground he wants it literally in ruins.

DooSPX
08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
I blame Obama....................it's the end of the world as we know it. He isn't satisfied with just running the country into the ground he wants it literally in ruins.

AMEN!!!!!!!

DemolitionMan
08-24-2011, 04:25 PM

:D:D:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jstewart319
08-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I work at the Navy Yard in DC and it shook the old building I work in pretty good, no damage but it did take me twice as long to get home. The federal government in the DC metro area was open yesterday with option to take unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework, so I stayed home and teleworked. I read that quakes on the east coast pack more of a punch because there are less fault lines to dissipate the energy.

When my wife got home she said our dog was acting little weird she would not sit down or relax and she kept pacing until I got home. I guess she had to make sure we both were ok before she would settle down.

DooSPX
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
When my wife got home she said our dog was acting little weird she would not sit down or relax and she kept pacing until I got home. I guess she had to make sure we both were ok before she would settle down.

Glad to hear that you and your family is safe. About your dog, I have no doubt she wanted to make sure that you were okay before she settled down. Dog's are amazing animals.

wrobins1
08-25-2011, 10:38 AM

Thatís ok he is just going to hold a press conference explaining that he inherited the earth wake from bush

JimN
08-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I hate to see this kind of damage-
http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation

funk
08-25-2011, 11:13 AM
UPDATE: The east coast earthquake apparently was caused by an unknown fault line running under D.C. and through Virginia. It is now being called Obama's Fault, though Obama will say it's really Bush's Fault. Other theories are that it was the founding fathers rolling over in their graves or that what we all believed to be an earthquake was actually the effects of a 14.6 trillion dollar check bouncing in Washington.

CantRepeat
08-25-2011, 11:36 AM
UPDATE: The east coast earthquake apparently was caused by an unknown fault line running under D.C. and through Virginia. It is now being called Obama's Fault, though Obama will say it's really Bush's Fault. Other theories are that it was the founding fathers rolling over in their graves or that what we all believed to be an earthquake was actually the effects of a 14.6 trillion dollar check bouncing in Washington.

This is so facebook status!!

JimN
08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I think it should be called 'The Congress Fault'.

Skipper
08-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Tar and feather that SOB! Exhile his sorry butt to Afghanistan! Save the United States!