PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding under Olympic consideration

jeffbare
08-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Posted on 23 August 2011

Link: http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/515871-wakeboarding-under-olympic-consideration?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=

The International Olympic Committee recently added wakeboarding to the short list of sports to be considered for inclusion in the 2020 Olympics, the International Waterski and Wakeboard Federation announced.

With a limit of 28 sports in the games, the final decision on new sports will be made in 2013 at the IOC session in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

“Wakeboard 2020 Vision will now complete the enormous preparation task ahead. All involved fully appreciate the need to satisfy the stringent requirements of the IOC program,” the federation said in a statement. “Following over 50 years of continuous development, the IWWF now believes that the time is right for wakeboard to take this final step of recognition.

“Just as snowboard brought such a successful addition to the Winter Olympics, Wakeboard certainly has the potential to add a totally new youth-focused lifestyle sport to the summer games in 2020,” the IWWF said.

Within days of the IOC announcement, a poll was launched by SportsPro Media to assess the immediate level of support for each of the eight sports on the 2020 IOC possibilities list. Only softball and wakeboarding had a significant following, according to the IWWF.

stuartmcnair
08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
nothing should be an olympic sport where a judgement is involved in the scoring. If it is not timed or their is no goal is should not be in the games as it is subject to the whims of the judges.

willyt
08-23-2011, 02:22 PM
read terje haakonsen's open letter to the IOC. This is nothing but an attempt to ride the supposed popularity of a sport they've never supported in the past and use it to their advantage. the IOC is a bunch of smucks. Makes me sick that snowboarding slopestyle is in the olympics now.

jeffbare
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
nothing should be an olympic sport where a judgement is involved in the scoring. If it is not timed or their is no goal is should not be in the games as it is subject to the whims of the judges.

Stuart,
I could not agree more. I was a javelin thrower in college, and have coached at the college level and believe that if there is any room for intepetation other than the difference of something tangible such as length or time, then it should not be included. In the judged events, a competitor can score a perfect 10.0, in essence saying that there is no chance anyone can perform the same task better than that person, ever. We have seen bias judging like the the Russian judge in the pairs ice dancing, and them having to go back and award a second set of gold medals. The Canadains were robbed of the opportunity to stand on the posium and hear thier national anthom for the world to see.

Honkity Hank
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
That would be a pretty short and probably boring Olympiad. Why not have wakeboarding or any other number of contests? I don't think they diminish the javelin event one bit.

jeffbare
08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
That would be a pretty short and probably boring Olympiad. Why not have wakeboarding or any other number of contests? I don't think they diminish the javelin event one bit.

I agree that for most the Olympics would be very boring, my opinio has nothing to do with the javelin, just my opinion on judged events, and where my experience lies. The same could be drawn between ski jumping vs. trick skiing. I just have a really hard time with events that can be affected by human bias that is out of the hands of the competitor.

93Prostar190
08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
read terje haakonsen's open letter to the IOC. This is nothing but an attempt to ride the supposed popularity of a sport they've never supported in the past and use it to their advantage. the IOC is a bunch of smucks. Makes me sick that snowboarding slopestyle is in the olympics now.

WillyT .. look at this way ... it is my chance to be in the Olympics .... I wasn't going to make it as a runner!

Wait! ... I suck at boarding .... oh well.

If drinking Rum and Coke was a sport .......:)

aaron.
08-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Personally I'd be ecstatic if they removed gymnastics and figure skating from the Olympics, cause those are also judged by bias, etc.....and seriously, they are both pretty (incredibly) lame [gay].

but jokes aside, i'm pretty pumped about skiing and snowboarding getting more olympic credit and exposure. if FIS is capable of judging these events at the World Cup level, they should definitely be included in the olympics.

wakeboarding is going to be tough though. it is nearly impossible to have an event where an athletes run can be dependent on another person. Unless you have a robot driving the boat, or have a cable park setup, there is no way for each rider to have the identical pull.... And that's not even considering weather changing throughout the event.

Personally, I'm thinking the idea will be scrapped.

jeffbare
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
What Olympic events require mechanical assistance (ie: boat)? There is the gun in the biatholon, and rifle sports, but I can't think of any other. There are the equestrian events, but a horse and rider must qualify as a team. Adding the wakeboard would be adding an entirley new element to the Olympics with the boat.

Honkity Hank
08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Sailing? Seems to qualify as a boat even if it does not have a motor :).

Eagle
08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Rowing. Cycling. Shooting.

Kiteboarding and windsurfing are being evaluated in 2016. (Windsurfing has been an Olympic sport in the past).

DemolitionMan
08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Downhill Wakeboarding!!!!!!!:D

curtish
08-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Couldn't agree more. Even though it would be cool to see, it still doesn't belong in the Olympics.

Jim@BAWS
08-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Downhill Wakeboarding!!!!!!!:D

May I elaborate a little...

Female, downhill, bikini clad, wakeboarding! Hey one can dream!!!

Jim@BAWS
08-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Guess that does way with FROZEN LAKE WAKEBOARDING...I think they call it
ICE SKATING...something like that!!!

CantRepeat
08-24-2011, 08:21 AM
For me, the Olympics have become just another business. So, of course they will add wakeboarding to the list of "attractions". It will be a great source of revenue.

aaron.
08-24-2011, 08:32 AM
they could seriously scrap ping pong, and replace it with cable park wakeboard. seriously. ping pong isn't and will never be a 'sport'.

[Unless of course they go back to full nude olympics, and they have hotties playing pingpong (or gymnastics for that matter)...] lol

craig3972
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
wakeboarding got the axe in the X-Games. Obviously not that great of an event for people to watch - can only fit so many people in the boat, the rest of us are watching it on TV.

craig3972
08-24-2011, 10:18 AM
they could seriously scrap ping pong, and replace it with cable park wakeboard. seriously. ping pong isn't and will never be a 'sport'.

[Unless of course they go back to full nude olympics, and they have hotties playing pingpong (or gymnastics for that matter)...] lol

"If you can do it in slacks, its not a sport"

JLowder
08-24-2011, 10:27 AM
"If you can do it in slacks, its not a sport"

So now golf isn't a sport?

willyt
08-24-2011, 11:10 AM
So now golf isn't a sport?

nope, everyone will tell you its a 'game', not a sport

from pga.com: 'Find golf courses, get golf instruction or research golf clubs. PGA.com has everything you need for your game and full coverage of the PGA of America'

jeffbare
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Biba Golic, world class ping pong player.

shepherd
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Biba Golic, world class ping pong player.

Shanelle Lorraine, world class pool player.

hragsarkissian
08-25-2011, 04:28 AM
Shanelle Lorraine, world class pool player.

hahaha...awesome