PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pump switch broken

Trio
08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
The ballast pump switch is broken (again!)on my 2009 XStar.

Does anyone know what the part number is or where I can find a replacement? The dealer charged me alot of the last 2. It is a Carlingswitch 12V and it looks like it's part number 0819R. I have searched high and low on the web but couldn't find it anywhere. maybe the part number is wrong or something?!

Can anyone help?

They are the ones that are silver with a red light on the end when turn on.

Thanks!!

JLowder
08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
The ballast pump switch is broken (again!)on my 2009 XStar.

Does anyone know what the part number is or where I can find a replacement? Thdealer charged me alot of the last 2. It is a Carlingswitch 12V and it looks like it's part number 0819R. I have searched high and low on the web but couldn't find it anywhere. maybe the part number is wrong or something?!

Can anyone help?

They are the ones that are silver with a red light on the end when turn on.

Thanks!!

I bought mine from Norcal Mastercraft last month for $18. That seemed pretty cheap to me.

CantRepeat
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I was going to ask how much they charged you. http://www.wesgarde.com/ carriers them but they have a $50 min order.

I do not believe you have a correct part number either, well not for a carling switch anyway.

Carling toggles are more like LT-2561-601-012

http://toggle-switches.carlingtech.com/illuminated-toggle-switch__48.asp#elibrary

Trio
08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Here are the switches I have. Do you guys have the same? What is the part number?

Thanks!!

CantRepeat
08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
How many poles on the back of the switch? I see it is RED LED, is the operation on-off-on?

CantRepeat
08-23-2011, 11:12 AM
It sure looks like you have the same switch as mine, LT-2561-601-012.

LT - Series type

2561 - base part number, non momentary ON-OFF-ON with .250 tab

6 - satin chrome finish

01 - lighting sequence Red-Red-Red

012 - lamp voltage

The 0819R is more then likely a batch number.

I think you can get them for under $20 bucks from a dealer or $5.85 from wesgrade but you need a $50 minimum order from them.

agarabaghi
08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Toggle-Switch-Blue-LED-2-Position-3-p/mastercraft_toggle_rd_259.htm

CantRepeat
08-23-2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Toggle-Switch-Blue-LED-2-Position-3-p/mastercraft_toggle_rd_259.htm

That is the wrong switch.

But they do have it.

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Toggle-Red-LED-3-Position-8-Prong-p/mastercraft_toggle_red_3_pos.htm

agarabaghi
08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
ha well i was close...

Sodar
08-23-2011, 01:03 PM
These switches are the biggest PITA and POS's. Just last month, after my last couple broke, I decided to remove all of them and replace with a metal body toggle. The metal body toggle does not have the illuminated tip, but they only cost $6 each and are much more durable than the OEM MC switches.

I am convinced that the problem arises from the billet plate expanding and contracting in the heat. Over time, the plastic just gives out. More on this topic later...

Trio
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
These switches are the biggest PITA and POS's. Just last month, after my last couple broke, I decided to remove all of them and replace with a metal body toggle. The metal body toggle does not have the illuminated tip, but they only cost $6 each and are much more durable than the OEM MC switches.

I am convinced that the problem arises from the billet plate expanding and contracting in the heat. Over time, the plastic just gives out. More on this topic later...

What metal body toggles did you end up buying? How are they working out? Do they fit like the OEM switches? Do you have a part number or a place to order?

I would love to convert all of my switches to something that doesn't break. Poor design. I normal rocker switches are way better. I'm surprised MC would use these.

Thanks Sodar

Thrall
03-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Yeah, they suck, but I think it's more of a wear and tear from extreme heat issue?
My low hr 06 from Las Vegas has broke numerous switches. Bought 1 from the dealer...ouch.
Couple I bought online and then I found a member on here selling ALL the switches because he had changed his out to a different color tip. Now that I have plenty of spares (for cheap) they have quit breaking it seems. Good insurance I suppose and no I don't want to sell any of them! haha
My boat sat outside, covered in the summers in Vegas before I bought it. As in it went through 2 covers from sun damage. My buddy's 06 with 4x the hours that was garaged since new has not broken a single switch.
I can't find the link to the online place I ordered from, but the switches were like $10/ea.

Jeff d
03-14-2012, 10:45 AM
That is the wrong switch.

But they do have it.

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Toggle-Red-LED-3-Position-8-Prong-p/mastercraft_toggle_red_3_pos.htm

Edit: I think I might be the one confused here after further research. It looks like I remembered some things incorrectly from my friend's '07 X2.

Sodar
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
What metal body toggles did you end up buying? How are they working out? Do they fit like the OEM switches? Do you have a part number or a place to order?

I would love to convert all of my switches to something that doesn't break. Poor design. I normal rocker switches are way better. I'm surprised MC would use these.

Thanks Sodar

Sorry, I don't have anything. I took my entire dashboard into an electronics store (Radio Shack on steroids) and had them match each switch with a replacement.

I did not have a switch issue all last summer. I just wish the tips were illuminated. It makes it easy to check that everything is off before you get out of the boat.

Jeff d
03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Edit: I may be an idiot

davomaddo
07-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I have an 09 X15. I called the dealer about my broken ballast switch. He told me I had to replace the whole panel (all switches) for $700. I told him I would be trying super glue and duct tape.
The glue and tape isn't working well.
It looks like the switch on the link in this post will work for me.
I guess it is worth the $20 to find out.

mastercraft210
07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
What i always do in this case is ordering the simple switch for the blower or bilge for about 10 dollar and use the parts from the new switch on the old one.It is a a 2 minute job and you need to look carefully with opening the switches but it saves a lot of dollars this way.

snork
07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Ebay the switch from great lakes

LiquidForce
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm having the same issues with breaking switches although I always flip them carefully. Break rate is about 1 per season. Blower switch, NAV lights, Bilge, Blower again... While hot/cold cycles may be an issue I personally think it is poor engineering of MC and the switch manufacturer. Take a look on how thin the threaded plastic is (manufacturer issue), then take a look on how the switches fit to the panels. The main body of the switch does not flawlessly lie on the back of the panel (MC issue) which would greatly reduce the load on the threaded part. I think the switches break because the pressure from flipping the switch has to be taken by the threaded part of the switch which is the weakest. Next winter I'll build some CNC spacers in order to make the switch bodies line up perfectly with the back side of the panel. This should reduce load on the threaded part and hopefully reduce the break rate. I might try replacing the broken switches' thread by a metal one. On a lousy winter day maybe ;-)

Am I right that your switches also always snap the treaded part?

@davomaddo: Consider switching your dealer. Suggesting the replacement of the whole panel when a single switch can be replaced is from my point of view as close to fraud as it can get. Please note that not all switches are the same! They differ in amount of positions (2 or 3), the color of the tip, the amount of prongs in the back. I bought mine at waterskis.com, the have very excellent customer support, I'm sure they can figure out what switch you need. Or you try to remove your broken switch from the boat. Do not forget to take pictures of the wired switch or label all the cables. All cables will fit on all prongs, so there is no way of telling where which cable goes when you don't label them/take pictures.