PDA

View Full Version : 2000 205 not running well

mitch
08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Hello, ran into a problem recently on thought you guys might have some ideas. Boat was running poorly stalling etc but started running better after some marine stabile and drygas. This was after a recent fill up at the lake marina. I was not there so this was coming from my wife... I Had it out yesterday and ran it hard, ran well and only stalled twice, which is a big improvement, but now the check engine lite comes on when you put it in gear and give it gas. Have about 1/8 tank, and wondering if i should run it dry. Assume no for two reasons. One prob wont help my engine lite and dont want to pick up crap in the tank bottom. 310hp preditior, and boat is idling at about 800rpm....any ideas? My 89 had a water fuel seperator, but i dont see one on this boat.....Thanks for any help.....

02ProstarSammyD
08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
If you going to get rid of the gas pump it out unless you would like a new fuel pump also

tommcat
08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
running a tank dry will not get water or sediment out, there are a few gallons left at the bottom of the tank that the pick up cant grab. when you put fuel back in the tank it just mixes that garbage up again. if you want to get all the stuff out of the tank you need to pump or siphon it dry.
or pull the tank and dump it
and i'm pretty sure bad fuel could turn on the check engine light with knock codes.

Jeff d
08-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Do a search on here for "paperclip method" or something like that.

I think your boat will be one where you could jump two pins on a diagnostic connector and the check engine light will flash codes to you explaining why it's on.

mitch
08-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys

JimN
08-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello, ran into a problem recently on thought you guys might have some ideas. Boat was running poorly stalling etc but started running better after some marine stabile and drygas. This was after a recent fill up at the lake marina. I was not there so this was coming from my wife... I Had it out yesterday and ran it hard, ran well and only stalled twice, which is a big improvement, but now the check engine lite comes on when you put it in gear and give it gas. Have about 1/8 tank, and wondering if i should run it dry. Assume no for two reasons. One prob wont help my engine lite and dont want to pick up crap in the tank bottom. 310hp preditior, and boat is idling at about 800rpm....any ideas? My 89 had a water fuel seperator, but i dont see one on this boat.....Thanks for any help.....

StaBil will do absolutely nothing for bad/old gas. DO NOT run it dry. Also, don't run it low- 1/8 of a tank isn't enough to run it when it's accelerating.

ricford
08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I always laugh when I hear people saying that they don't want to run the tank low because they don't want to pick up the crap at the bottom of the tank. Guess what, you're always running at the bottom of the tank, that's where the pickup is. You don't want to run it low cause your in-tank fuel pump likes to be immersed in fuel for cooling, but not cause of gunk.

BriEOD
08-23-2011, 08:01 AM
I'd fill it with 93 octane from a gas station (use gas cans if you have to) and run it. By the way, when is the last time you've changed your filter? You'll have to unbolt the tank and slide it forward, then remove the fuel pump, and the filter sits at the very bottom of the pump. It'll take you about an hour. Your filter maybe clogged. Finally, I never-ever, ever-ever-ever, let my boat go below 1/2 to 1/3 of a tank. Good luck.

mitch
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
I'd fill it with 93 octane from a gas station (use gas cans if you have to) and run it. By the way, when is the last time you've changed your filter? You'll have to unbolt the tank and slide it forward, then remove the fuel pump, and the filter sits at the very bottom of the pump. It'll take you about an hour. Your filter maybe clogged. Finally, I never-ever, ever-ever-ever, let my boat go below 1/2 to 1/3 of a tank. Good luck..

Brian, hows never? It was changed at 100 hours b4 i got the boat, 450hr since and i have not changed it. Does the tank have to be empty to change the filter? Thanks for the advice, ill go after that for sure... and thanks jim...nice to the old gang still on here...cheers:D

mikeg205
08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Get the clymer manual for your year boat - it has step by step instructions. I dump seafoam into every tankful because I dont live on a lake 550 hours and never a fuel problem. I agree never run the tank dry.... I hear so many complaints about performance from boaters who buy gas on water... I could be wrong... but I have never had a fuel related issue. Popular Mechanics ran a test and Stabil lasts about 3 months and Seafoam can help gas last up to a year. Check your plugs to see how your combustion is behaving. You might catch a problem there depending how the plugs look.

You might also check your fuel vent. Make sure nothing has crawled up there and clogged it up. Sounds goofy because of the fumes....but had a friend who had a beetle in there...dead of course...

mitch
08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Get the clymer manual for your year boat - it has step by step instructions. I dump seafoam into every tankful because I dont live on a lake 550 hours and never a fuel problem. I agree never run the tank dry.... I hear so many complaints about performance from boaters who buy gas on water... I could be wrong... but I have never had a fuel related issue. Popular Mechanics ran a test and Stabil lasts about 3 months and Seafoam can help gas last up to a year. Check your plugs to see how your combustion is behaving. You might catch a problem there depending how the plugs look.

You might also check your fuel vent. Make sure nothing has crawled up there and clogged it up. Sounds goofy because of the fumes....but had a friend who had a beetle in there...dead of course....

Thanks for the reply. All good ideas.. I have new plugs, seems like a good time to put em in, and i had vent issues on my old tristar... May pull the boat due to irene, and ill have more time work on it at home.... Thanks all

mitch
08-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Was thinking more about this and if the fuel filter were bad wouldnt i experience accelleration issues? Boat ran fine and only stalled at near idle contions.. Thx

mikeg205
08-26-2011, 02:34 PM
good question.... dump seafoam into the tank...I use it all the time...when I put a new sending unit in my gas tank this season my filter did not have any slime on it at all. The stalling at idle could be carbon build up as well - the plugs will tell you a lot when you look at them... on your model can you plug in a diagnostic unit and check for error codes?

JimN
08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Take a fuel sample. You posted that this started after you bought gas at the lake, so check the gas to see if it has crap in it. If it does, you won't get it out by running it dry. That will only kill your fuel pump and, considering the fact that the filter isn't made to pass water, it will still be in the tank. Get a cheap fuel pump and a piece of fuel line (high volume pump, not pressure), wire it with a switch and get a container large enough to hold the bad gas. Then, you'll want to replace the filter if water is the culprit.

mitch
09-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Heres what happened. Pulled the boat for irene. Dropped it off at a inboard shop near the lake. Cap and rotor were nasty..replaced, cleaned the injectors and carb, popped a code replaced the map sensor, repaired the drivers seated, had a tap a new insert... Shring wrapped the coil wire..greased the steering cable and rudder, cleaned batt terminals, removed some crap from tranny cooler, timed it..and gave me 6 gals treated fuel....$392.. Thought that was great deal, also tested the fuel which was fine. Thx again guys!

dfd22120
09-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I am no expert, but I thought the 2000's didn't have a carb? Was EFI still an option in 2000? My 96 has an LT1 with EFI.

mitch
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Mine has throttlebody