PDA

View Full Version : 2011 X25 - throttle dead stick, happening more often.

bjames
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
OK... The boat has only 33 hours on it and is going into service (warranty) for the 3rd time in the last 3 weeks. The problem I am having is very sporattic - what I mean is you cant easily replicate the condition, it happens randomly. When I accellerate out of the hole, just before planing, the boat drops into idle speed without warning.:confused: We have had 2 people surfing almost run into the back of the boat. The surfer had to turn away from the boat in order not to hit it. On Saturday I had this happen 5 time in a row. When I acellerate, the boat would hit about 3400-3600 RPM then suddenly drop to idle. If I try again to accellerate, the boat will not go past 3000RPM (I'm thinking fail safe). If I stop/restart the engine, thry the same thing, it happens again... hit 3400RPM (full throttle), then engine drops to idle with throttle still in full open position. Oil temp/press all normal, howver FOR THE FIRST time.. a "Servide required" and check engine light came on, then both disapeared.:confused::confused:. After 5 occurances, everything ran fine:confused:.

I am lost, I think my service depart is somewhat scratching their heads on this issue as everytime they take the boat out to test, the say nothing is wrong. I am getting a little frusterated that I am having engine issues on a $100K boat that nobody can seem to diagnose.

Huskie05
08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
OK... The boat has only 33 hours on it and is going into service (warranty) for the 3rd time in the last 3 weeks. The problem I am having is very sporattic - what I mean is you cant easily replicate the condition, it happens randomly. When I accellerate out of the hole, just before planing, the boat drops into idle speed without warning.:confused: We have had 2 people surfing almost run into the back of the boat. The surfer had to turn away from the boat in order not to hit it. On Saturday I had this happen 5 time in a row. When I acellerate, the boat would hit about 3400-3600 RPM then suddenly drop to idle. If I try again to accellerate, the boat will not go past 3000RPM (I'm thinking fail safe). If I stop/restart the engine, thry the same thing, it happens again... hit 3400RPM (full throttle), then engine drops to idle with throttle still in full open position. Oil temp/press all normal, howver FOR THE FIRST time.. a "Servide required" and check engine light came on, then both disapeared.:confused::confused:. After 5 occurances, everything ran fine:confused:.

I am lost, I think my service depart is somewhat scratching their heads on this issue as everytime they take the boat out to test, the say nothing is wrong. I am getting a little frusterated that I am having engine issues on a $100K boat that nobody can seem to diagnose.

Could it have anything to do with perfect pass not working right?

willyt
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
sounds like the boat is going into limp mode to protect itself... i would check your knock sensors or something that would cause it to trip into that... what engine?

sand2snow22
08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Have them check and recheck the throttle position sensor. Make sure your service dept. is speaking with a service rep. directly at MC.

vision
08-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I agree. A quick hook up to the diacom at the shop to rule out limp mode is step one. If no reported problems ( I assume your service did this the first time) then disconnect PP and see if the problem stops. Does it only do it after the boat has been running for 10 to 20 minutes?

jwardenjr
08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Please keep us updated on what you find wrong ... or how MC takes care of you. Your scaring me as my boat is in route ...

willyt
08-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Please keep us updated on what you find wrong ... or how MC takes care of you. Your scaring me as my boat is in route ...

here's some reassurance - i have 920 hours on the 05 X2 with the MCX, havent had a problem (thats the boat's fault, anyway) since i've owned the boat (since about 720 hours).

bjames
08-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I wouldnt worry too much, I think my problem is rare.

bjames
08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Have them check and recheck the throttle position sensor. Make sure your service dept. is speaking with a service rep. directly at MC.

The first time service looked at the problem, their scope picked up on a loose connection between the brainbox:confused: and engine. I understood it as an intermitten loss of communication between the throttle, module and engine, forcing it into fail safe. With the throttle being digital, I suspect a bad connection somewhere.

The engine is a LY96 (Indmar 6L 400Hp). I have also had situations where if I really slowly move the throttle forward from idle into gear, the engine will not rev up, meaning I can slowly move the throttle to "full throttle" position and the RPMs will not change. Weird:confused:.

Does this have anything to do with Perfect Pass :confused::confused: Dont know. I guess will all the electronic computers talking /controlling each other, it is VERY possible.

trickskier
08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Had the samething happening to my X-1. Turned out to be the pedal position sensor in the stick. Had to replace the entire throttle control unit.

bjames
08-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Good point, I will have to mention this tomorrow when i take it in.:) The guy who took the boat out for a lake test after the last service did notice that full throttle was acheived in the first 90 degrees of travel and the remainder 45 degrees had no affect. He thought that seemed odd.

sand2snow22
08-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Good point, I will have to mention this tomorrow when i take it in.:) The guy who took the boat out for a lake test after the last service did notice that full throttle was acheived in the first 90 degrees of travel and the remainder 45 degrees had no affect. He thought that seemed odd.

Seems OK to me, I took a 2007 VLX out the other day, same thing, reached WOT at 90 degrees had more play in the throttle past , just didn't do anything b/c limited by RPM's. Like Tricky, I had to replace the throttle position sensor in my 2005 X-2. My guess is that this is the problem. Good luck getting the part :rolleyes: Hopefully it will be fixed sooner than later.

ShawnB
08-23-2011, 03:27 AM
This happened to us once on the X25 when towing a waterskiier. It seems counter-intuitive but if it happens to you again try to back off on the throttle and then rev back up.

bjames
09-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Dealer replaced the throttle control assembly and that seemed to fix the problem.. so far. Its been about a week since the fix and no more throttle issues:)