PDA

View Full Version : x2 vibration

tuchodi51
08-21-2011, 07:42 PM
I just bought an 08 X2 and a couple things seem off to me. The steering takes a lot of strength,in the center it's smooth but break into a hard turn and it snaps over and takes quite a strong arm to bring back. Is that normal with rudder controlled boats? This is my first. Also it has a vibration and noise when turning to the right,which feels worse when the ballast tanks are full. I have only had stern drive and jet drive boats till now so want to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary as the closest dealer is 6 1/2 hrs away. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Trig2275
08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm sure the experts will chime in soon and help you out but it sounds relatively normal to me but hard to know without feeling and hearing it for yourself. I've heard that the pickle fork boats when turning hard really dig in so I can see that it might seem a little hard at first to pull it back. I have no first hand experience with this as my X-15 is a traditional bow. I will say that when I first got the boat it was harder to pull out of a hard turn than an I/O but not difficult just different.

As far as the noise and vibration when turning right... Is at speed or idle like maneuvering around for a rider and such? When I have my ballast all the way full and lock the steering wheel out to starboard at idle speed I may feel a slight vibration but hard to tell really. I chalk it up me being overly anal. I think with the rudder turned that far there's more surface area for the prop so it's possible to feel something. The tech guys will have a more precise answer for you I'm sure.

JDK
08-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Also it has a vibration and noise when turning to the right,which feels worse when the ballast tanks are full.

Sounds like your prop might need a 'tune up'
It takes very little deformation on even a single blade to cause a vibration... so take a close look there first.

tuchodi51
08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
it only vibrates at speed nothing on idle or low prm manuevering.and worse when loaded up with ballast.i've got a spare prop,i'll change it out and see if it persists.kinda figured the steering would be something i had to get used to.just a little disconcerting when the girlfriend is towing me,she has scared herself a couple of times. thx for the insight.

jdeml
09-07-2011, 10:41 PM
it only vibrates at speed nothing on idle or low prm manuevering.and worse when loaded up with ballast.i've got a spare prop,i'll change it out and see if it persists.kinda figured the steering would be something i had to get used to.just a little disconcerting when the girlfriend is towing me,she has scared herself a couple of times. thx for the insight.

prop dinged?

tr6coug
09-08-2011, 01:32 AM
You should be able to crank the wheel around one handed without any problem. You may need a new steering cable. How many hours on the boat?

I have 400 hrs and the steering is getting stiffer, but I don't really need to muscle it out of a hard turn. I'll probably replace the cable next spring. I don't have any vibration on hard turns even fully loaded with ballast.

bturner2
09-08-2011, 07:48 AM
I have an 07 X2 and while the steering is a harder than the ProStar 190 or Malibu response we use for slalom skiing (zero effort), it's not to the point of being scary at all. My wife and daughter pull me and neither have had any scary moments trying to get the boat out of a hard turn. Also it does take considerably more effort to turn the boat when fully loaded for surfing during any hard turn maneuvers. If you're running a power prop this will be amplified as you'll also be pushing more water against the rudder. While the the X2 drives like a bus compared to the ProStar it should never be so difficult as to need two arms to get it to turn.

So here's some questions to see what may be going on....

What's turning the wheel it like while out of the water? If it's stiff you may need a steering cable.
How many hours on the boat? High hour boat may need a steering cable.
Was the boat used in salt water? Salt water use is hard on cables.
What prop is currently on the boat? A high pitch prop can make steering harder due to increase flow against prop.
Have you grease the steering cable? Easy to do and could help out quite a bit.

Your vibration is most likely the prop however the alignment may be out or you could have a bad strut bearing also. Unless you're really good with mechanically this should be left to the professionals. You can however check the alignment without being the sharpest tool in the shed. Do a search on alignment and you'll find some articles on what entailed.

willyt
09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
What prop is currently on the boat? A high pitch prop can make steering harder due to increase flow against prop.

eh... you sure thats right? its going to take the same amount of thrust to push a hull through the water whether its a high or low pitch prop.

bturner2
09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
The way I understand it if there wasn't more thrust the boat wouldn't come out of the hole any faster. Very similar to comparing a 4:11 rear end to a 3:73 rear end in a car. the 4:11 will develop more low end torque but will run out of operating range on the motor at high speed due to RPM limitation.