PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak!!!

sberry3827
07-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Has anyone ever changed the gaskets on the valve covers. I have the 351 in my '85. Looks like the oil is coming from there. What would cause that. Is there a deeper problem to them going bad? It seems to run fine, good temp/oil pressure. Also, how much oil can you get in yours with an oil change including the filter. I have a question there also but I dive into that one with ya after I figure the gaskets out.

Help me please, my hull is a mess. It saddens me to lift the motor cover.

6ballsisall
07-31-2005, 11:32 AM
You could get a pretty good leak out of the valve covers. Do you see oil running down the side of the motor?

Best way to clean the hull IMO is get some carb cleaner and spray the bilge area down with the cleaner and followup with a hose.

My 86' held 4 1/2 quarts with filter

BriEOD
07-31-2005, 12:10 PM
I get just shy of 4 qts in my 87.

sberry3827
08-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, i'm not exactly sure how much oil i will be able to get in by boat yet. I did any oil change, put a filter on and 4 quarts, then wanted to check before adding anything. Whoa, 4 quarts is registering way over full. What the heck? Jran, did you ever change the valve cover gaskets on your 86, can it be done without romoving anything else (exhaust mani.). By the way, you and your wife better figure it out. I cant imagine sitting around having had an MC and now nothing. Anyways, I needed to bump this thread up and get some more input.