PDA

View Full Version : Help: Head unit turns off when...

Monteluna
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I turn the volume up past half-way, and/or when I turn on the blower, bilge pump, honk the horn. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what is going on here? The boat - a 1994 PS205 is new to me, and the head unit is an Alpine iDA-X100M.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Sounds like you don't have enough voltage to the radio with the accessories operating. Start checking for frayed or corrosion on the wires to your radio and the accessories.

Thrall
08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Just run a new + wire thru a relay from the old + wire (not enough cpacity on the old boats for power through the ign switch) and run a new ground.
Same problem on my '96 when I put in a better higher powered head unit.

mtajpa
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Had the same issue with my Alpine and ended up putting in a second battery with blue seas acr isolater and dedicated run to stereo from second battery. I guess I went a little over board but new an amp addition was soon to come.

Monteluna
08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Had the same issue with my Alpine and ended up putting in a second battery with blue seas acr isolater and dedicated run to stereo from second battery. I guess I went a little over board but new an amp addition was soon to come.
I'm thinking I'll do this too. It wouldn't be a waste for me because I plan on adding a sub at some point anyway.

Bert
08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Just run a new + wire thru a relay from the old + wire (not enough cpacity on the old boats for power through the ign switch) and run a new ground.
Same problem on my '96 when I put in a better higher powered head unit.

I have an alpine unit that does this. It is not wired through the ignition switch:confused: but wired to one of factory supplied + leads that is live all trhe time. Does it with the engine running or off. Any more than half volume and it shuts off. Running the blower etc. does not affect it.

mtajpa
08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Bert, If you put a voltmeter at the stereo and start to turn up the volume you will see the voltage drop to 10.5 volts that is were the Alpine units will shut down. The main positive wire from the breaker to the ign. switch is to small to handle the power required by these head units. You need to run a larger wire from the battery to your head unit(or increase the size of the wire from the breaker to ign. switch). That should solve the problem. You can try connecting a #8 or larger wire from the battery to the head unit just to see if this is your issue. If it solves the problem then make it permanent. Just be sure to fuse the wire at the battery end. Or if you want it to work off the ign. switch you can mount a relay under the dash that is activated by the ign. switch to connect the source from the battery to the head unit. More than one way to skin this cat.

Bert
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Bert, If you put a voltmeter at the stereo and start to turn up the volume you will see the voltage drop to 10.5 volts that is were the Alpine units will shut down. The main positive wire from the breaker to the ign. switch is to small to handle the power required by these head units. You need to run a larger wire from the battery to your head unit(or increase the size of the wire from the breaker to ign. switch). That should solve the problem. You can try connecting a #8 or larger wire from the battery to the head unit just to see if this is your issue. If it solves the problem then make it permanent. Just be sure to fuse the wire at the battery end. Or if you want it to work off the ign. switch you can mount a relay under the dash that is activated by the ign. switch to connect the source from the battery to the head unit. More than one way to skin this cat.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

mtajpa
08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Also wouldn't hurt to run an additional ground wire.

Bert
08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Also wouldn't hurt to run an additional ground wire.

I have a # 6 + and - that I have run up to the front from battery that I was using to power an amp before so I will use those to try it. I can see the voltage drop with out the engine running but thought it would have been ok with egine on. Never had this issue till I installed the Alpine so it fits your diagnosis.

mtajpa
08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I have a # 6 + and - that I have run up to the front from battery that I was using to power an amp before so I will use those to try it. I can see the voltage drop with out the engine running but thought it would have been ok with egine on. Never had this issue till I installed the Alpine so it fits your diagnosis.
Just wire your head unit up to the amp wiring.

Kyle
06-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Old thread I know but I had this problem and I could not take the head unit cutting out any more. It only cut out with my under water lights on along with neons, led's, and navigation lights.

Here is what I did to fix it.

I Bought 12g red and black wire 12' each roll, 1) 30amp 12 volt 4prong relay, a pack of heat shrink wire connectors the flat kind, and 1 pack of regular heat shrink wire connectors.

First I wired 2 ground wires and 2 positive wires out of the amp to the area by the head unit.

Next I ran one positive wire to the constant power on the head unit and a ground to the head unit.

Next I hooked up a positive and ground to the relay.

Then hooked up a wire from the ignition switch to the relay.

Then hooked up the wire out of the relay to the head unit.

Once installed I was able to play the head unit at any volume and flip on all accessories, lights, neons, under water lights, and under now lights without the head unit turning off.

I thought about a bigger wire from the main power wire to the switch but I have a lot of add on's that draw power. I chose to run a relay and run it directly to good known power. Another thing is the amps are fused so I know everything is safe from shorting.

It's a great way to eliminate the head unit clipping.

Horrors
06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
you are right

Kyle
07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
After doing this modification I have never once had my stereo turn off or clip. I can run all of the accessories and lights too.

The other day the stereo shut off and did not turn back on. The battery was completely dead and the horn would not honk. I flipped over my perko switch to another battery and started up the boat. I let it run for about 30 minutes and then used the battery that had died until I was ready to leave that day.

This is one of the best modifications done to my boat and has been the cheapest also. I never knew how happy I could ever be over $30 well spent.