PDA

View Full Version : Should Fogging Oil Be Used to Winterize

mmpol30
08-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I have been reading posts on this site for months and am impressed with all the valuable information on this site. I just purchased a new to me Prostar 205 this past spring. After purchasing the boat I started to hear it miss while at idle. So I figured it was a good time for a tune-up, (replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor). While doing this I did a compression test and found out that one cylinder had zero compression. To make a long story short I located the problem to a cracked exhaust valve.

So my question is, in my research to fix this problem, I have mentioned the previous owner had fogged the engine ever year. Everybody seems to cringe when I mention fogging of the engine, and how fogging could cause bad things to happen inside the engine prematurely. Just looking for everyone's opinion.

Thanks

Jerseydave
08-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Fogging puts a coating on cyl walls, pistons, rings, valves, etc to help prevent corrosion over winter. I doubt there was any connection between not fogging and a cracked/burned valve. That could have been a result of overheating or low octane gas. Check your ignition timing too.

I have the MCX engine and I fog only through the spark plug holes, never spray into the intake.

mikeg205
08-20-2011, 06:05 PM
my 1995 pro star 205 has been foged via the fuel intake with Marvel Mystery Oil for 15 years....motor purrs like new... looks like new...I agree with the over heat or bad fuel.... I also add Seafoam - one bottle for a tankful of gas twice a season and right before I winterize..

CruisinGA
08-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I fog my LTR 330 through sparkplug holes every year.

IMO "dry" intakes should only be fogged through the sparkplug holes, "wet" intakes (carb/TBI) at the throttle plate as well as through the sparkplug holes.

Plan on installing some new plugs every spring. I had a fouled plug one year so now I do it regardless as cheap insurance.

mmpol30
08-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the comments, very helpful.

Has anybody ever fogged a car engine that was going to sit for a while?

ctjahn
08-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the comments, very helpful.

Has anybody ever fogged a car engine that was going to sit for a while?

I used a small oiler and pump a few squirts of synthetic oil down each cyl and turn it over for a bit... opposed to fogging oil though the carb for my extended storage of cars and boats.

I have heard that fogging oil created a varnish on the cyls....but have no evidence or nothing to prove it. Some spray oils will evaporate over the winter depending on what you use.

Note this is for carb motors and I pinch off the fuel line, and run it dry...

Cj

Kell
08-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I have the MCX engine and I fog only through the spark plug holes, never spray into the intake.
Thanks for this info Jerseydave. I didn't know this. Dealer has winterized our 09 X2 since new, but was thinking of doing it myself this year. I winterized our old 99 Maristar 219 VRS MPI EFI, and fogged it by putting the straw through the throttle plate just after the spark arrestor. Never had any issues but sounds like I should not have done it that way.

So for the MCX you just fog through the spark plug holes and I assume you turn it over a couple times (kill switch disengaged) to coat the cyc wall, etc.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

CruisinGA
08-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think you did any harm, just no need for fogging oil in a dry intake.

Yep, spray in each cylinder, turn over a few times and reinstall the sparkplugs.

Thanks for this info Jerseydave. I didn't know this. Dealer has winterized our 09 X2 since new, but was thinking of doing it myself this year. I winterized our old 99 Maristar 219 VRS MPI EFI, and fogged it by putting the straw through the throttle plate just after the spark arrestor. Never had any issues but sounds like I should not have done it that way.

So for the MCX you just fog through the spark plug holes and I assume you turn it over a couple times (kill switch disengaged) to coat the cyc wall, etc.

Thrall
08-21-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't think you did any harm, just no need for fogging oil in a dry intake.

Yep, spray in each cylinder, turn over a few times and reinstall the sparkplugs.

Yeah, but wouldn't fogging thru a dry intake coat the valve train as well, vs just the cylinders?
Thinking about this since it's the first time in a wet climate for me in 15+yrs.

east tx skier
08-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Correct, don't fog a dry intake like the MCX. Same with my MPI GT-40. Just the plug holes and turn the motor over by hand.

On carb motors and TBIs, you can fog through the throttle body and plug holes.

tuchodi51
08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
what type of oil are you using to fog the MCX?

Thrall
08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Correct, don't fog a dry intake like the MCX. Same with my MPI GT-40. Just the plug holes and turn the motor over by hand.

On carb motors and TBIs, you can fog through the throttle body and plug holes.

Because any little amounts of dust will gum up in the intake??

HDAVIS
08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I own a 1996 PS 190 and have never fogged the engine. I don't think it is necessary unless it is going to "lay up" for longer than one winter. All I do is put stabil in the gas tank, run it a while, drain the water and fill with antifreeze and unhook the battery. I have never had a problem. I have heard that fogger might foul the plugs. The dealership I use does not fog.

east tx skier
08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Because any little amounts of dust will gum up in the intake??

Because that's what my manual says to do. YMMV. :)

erkoehler
08-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Be careful on the newer boats with cats, not supposed to fog those if I remember correctly.

Lars
08-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I think you guys are forgetting the number one problem with this question.....

It's still August!! :D

DemolitionMan
08-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I think you guys are forgetting the number one problem with this question.....

It's still August!! :D
I will worry about that in 3 months.

GoneBoatN
08-26-2011, 08:14 PM
I had this discussion with my dealer/mechanic. I fog via the spark plug holes and turn over the engine. The dealer said - good otherwise you would be doing about $1400 in repairs.

Odd, the Indmar manual that came with the boat says to spary the fogging oil "into the throat of the carburetor or throttle body". Other forums and instructions have said not to do this on fuel injected engines.

CantRepeat
08-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I had this discussion with my dealer/mechanic. I fog via the spark plug holes and turn over the engine. The dealer said - good otherwise you would be doing about $1400 in repairs.

Odd, the Indmar manual that came with the boat says to spary the fogging oil "into the throat of the carburetor or throttle body". Other forums and instructions have said not to do this on fuel injected engines.

I wish we could get engineNut to comment on the use of fogging oil in TPI engines. I'm trying to figure out what the harm could be. If there is a vacuum running cylinders I don't see how the oil could come in contact with the injectors. As far as the oil settling in the plenum it should be the same as carbed manifold.

In all honesty I do not know. It seemed, to me, the main reason to fog through the carb was it was easy to do. You could fog all the cylinders at one time, end of story. What damage can be done by doing it with TBI/TPI?

CantRepeat
08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Be careful on the newer boats with cats, not supposed to fog those if I remember correctly.

Eric, is that to say unburned oil does damage to the Cats? I wonder if it is more an issue with too much oil into the Cats.

Table Rocker
08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
On engines with hot-wire mass air flow sensors, oil contamination causes problems. Fogging oil on this type on sensor would not be a good thing. For years, the oil in K & N filters has been rumored to cause problems. K & N disagrees. (http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#27)

sp00ky
08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok so the general consensus is fog through the plug holes but plan on buying new plugs? Should you leave the holes with no plugs during winter (or unplugged in other words LOL)?

vision
08-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I own a 1996 PS 190 and have never fogged the engine. I don't think it is necessary unless it is going to "lay up" for longer than one winter. All I do is put stabil in the gas tank, run it a while, drain the water and fill with antifreeze and unhook the battery. I have never had a problem. I have heard that fogger might foul the plugs. The dealership I use does not fog.

I agree. How long the engine is to be stored without starting and the level of humidity and temperature change during that period dictate the likelihood of significant condensation and rust development.

Catalytic convertors can be picky on what flows through them. I would hesitate to fog a newer engine with a cat, but I am far from an expert.

TXX9
08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
+1 for fogging.

CantRepeat
08-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Ok so the general consensus is fog through the plug holes but plan on buying new plugs? Should you leave the holes with no plugs during winter (or unplugged in other words LOL)?

Put the plugs back in, used them to burn the oil off next spring and then put new plugs in.

sp00ky
08-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Got it thanks

Lumbergh
08-28-2011, 11:41 AM
So I have a 91 PS.

Shoot the fogging oil thru the carb butterfly?

Or pull the spark plugs and go into cylinders?

Someone should make a youtube video with a smartphone or camera, share with the group.

MattsCraft
08-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I have fogged via the spark plug holes for the last 3 years, remove each plug, spray fog oil for a few seconds, replace. Crank engine with coil wire removed for a few cranks. Same plugs for 200+ hours. I just replaced the plugs this spring because my dealer suggested at 100 hr interval, don't really buy that but I did anyway, old plugs looked just fine and ran fine each season, replaced the rotor and cap at the same time. Indmar manual states "Do Not Fog Via Intake" if you have Cats, will ruin the O2 Sensors.

Cloaked
08-28-2011, 12:37 PM
So I have a 91 PS.

Someone should make a youtube video with a smartphone or camera, share with the group.
Spray the fogging fluid into the carb, right down the first two ports, until the engine stops. Done deal.

An age-old discussion.

CantRepeat
08-28-2011, 12:40 PM
So I have a 91 PS.

On my 92 I did both.

east tx skier
08-28-2011, 06:15 PM
So I have a 91 PS.

On your 91, do both.

mikeg205
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
my 1995 PS...fogging thru TBI with Marvel Mystery Oil for 16 seasons... 560 hours...fires right up in the spring... run the oil till white smoke exits exhaust...change plugs every other season...even if they look good..which most of the time they do...