PDA

View Full Version : Tune up tips???

shepherd
07-31-2005, 10:42 AM
OK, here's the deal: new town, lack of trustworthy boat mechanics who won't take more than 4 weeks to even look at my boat, the boat needs a tune-up. It's a 1990 PS 190 with the carbed 351W. Seems to be running rich and idling kind of slow. Hasn't been tuned in a couple years.

It's been many years since I've done my own tune-up (of a car) but I'm fairly handy with the tools. My question is, what do I need? I know I need to replace the plugs, points and condensor (?). Plug wires may be a good idea. I don't remember how to adjust the timing/carb (guess I need to buy a timing light).

Any guidance or tutoring you guys can provide, or reference to a printed or online tutorial, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim :toast:

6ballsisall
07-31-2005, 10:48 AM
You should be dialed in with all of the above. You probably can get away with not having the timing light unless your timing jumped. Points and Condenser I would toss and just get the electronic Ignition kit so many on here have used. Skidim sells a really nice manual on your motor, I think they are about $11 or so.