PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Free-Skiing!

shepherd
07-31-2005, 11:29 AM
OK, not really. But I got spoiled having a ski course in my back yard before I moved.

Went skiing on the Bay behind the new house yesterday. No buoys -- I can only go back and forth across the wake a few times before I start wondering why I'm going back and forth across the wake like a maniac :confused: What's the point if there's no balls to shoot for???

Sorry, just venting... :cool: (yes and I know it's good to get out of the course once in a while to work on your form, but I think the best course practice is to ski the course!)

Finally got me a used Insta-slalom course, just need to find a good place to set it up (I'm still exploring the area). Also, it's short a bunch of balls. Anyone know where I can get some ski and boat buoys cheap???

6ballsisall
07-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Overtons or Barts has buoys cheap.

I envy you, I would love to be able to ski a course everytime I go out. I don't get that luxury

shepherd
07-31-2005, 11:45 AM
I envy you, I would love to be able to ski a course everytime I go out. I don't get that luxury

That's the point, neither do I anymore :(

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I am sure that this has been discussed a million times here, but are there any laws or restrictions about setting up slalom courses?? are you allowed to set them up on public lakes and leave them? or just temporary??
:confused:

PendO
07-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Man, that's like saying you hate skiing deep powder and you just want to crash slalom gates all day long ... long live powder skiing in the Rockies and free skiing behind an M/C. I'm sure you are going through withdrawls ... I had a friend who loved the bouys, and couldn't carve turns for chit ... free skiing (snow or water) is an artform. Best of luck finding a course ... :dance:

betsy&david Harrison
08-21-2005, 11:41 PM
OK, not really. But I got spoiled having a ski course in my back yard before I moved.

Went skiing on the Bay behind the new house yesterday. No buoys -- I can only go back and forth across the wake a few times before I start wondering why I'm going back and forth across the wake like a maniac :confused: What's the point if there's no balls to shoot for???

Sorry, just venting... :cool: (yes and I know it's good to get out of the course once in a while to work on your form, but I think the best course practice is to ski the course!)

Finally got me a used Insta-slalom course, just need to find a good place to set it up (I'm still exploring the area). Also, it's short a bunch of balls. Anyone know where I can get some ski and boat buoys cheap???
Free skiing messed me up! I skied the course on our lake after out vacation to Lake Britton and I couldn't ski the course! Aaahhh! It took me till the next day to get my timing down again. I loved free skiing but wow!

east tx skier
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
UMP, I'm laughing, I predicted in another thread that it wouldn't be long before you started asking questions about setting up slalom courses.

As for how cheap buoys are, that's true if you don't buy them all at once. New, without attachment hardware and anchors, they'll run you about $110 plus shipping. I think you can get them used buoys from ez-slalom or insta-slalom. At least that's what I recall Farmer saying.

pilot02
08-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Overtons or Barts has buoys cheap.

Spend the extra money and get the ones from Overtons, the ones from ski limited and Barts tear easily where they attach to the course.

Mag_Red
08-22-2005, 12:42 PM
We just throw the empty beer cans in the lake and use them as Bouys. :D

Dan K
08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Mag, you crack me up.
I know this is settled, but once again you are sounding like the toolman.

shepherd
08-26-2005, 09:53 AM
I heard a rumor about a ski course on Deer Point lake, about 15 minutes from the house. I'll check it out this weekend if I can get a new starter in the boat tomorrow and Katrina doesn't show up too early. Hopefully I'll be able to post some "show your glass" pics with some buoys in them Sunday night.

areamike
09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Check this out

http://www.insta-slalom.com/

Pretty reasonably priced too.

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 08:31 PM
:confused: What keeps the turn bouys perpendicular to the main line?? Seems like there would be some play in the poles.

areamike
09-01-2005, 08:46 PM
According to the write up, it says

"A short rope attached to the anchor at the end of the mainline is used to apply tension."

shepherd
09-04-2005, 01:59 AM
:confused: What keeps the turn bouys perpendicular to the main line?? Seems like there would be some play in the poles.

The PVC pipes will naturally lay straight and the tension in the lines, including the triangle pieces, help to keep them perpendicular. Of course that system only works in a lake or other body of water without a current. Put those suckers in a river and the PVC arms will bend over 45 degrees or more -- a result that only Dr. Jim would appreciate.

Leroy
09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
As Shepherd is saying,the diamond shape in the mainline keeps the buoy PVC pipes straight.

School Skier
09-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Most lakes in Wisconsin I believe don't have courses the lakes I ski on do not. They would be vandalised and ripped appart and most lakes have heavy traffic on them with restricted hours. We just love to ski any way we can!

Jim@BAWS
09-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Most lakes in Wisconsin I believe don't have courses the lakes I ski on do not. They would be vandalised and ripped appart and most lakes have heavy traffic on them with restricted hours. We just love to ski any way we can!

Dr Jim's Course may be available. The course is portable, collapsable,
negiotable, submersable, available, trasferable, trailerable, and adjustable,
etc etc etc

Get my point

Jim@BAWS

bigmac
09-04-2005, 10:42 AM

My neighbor put up a course in our bay a few years ago - permit from the Sheriff's Dept and everything, but for some reason it really enraged the fishermen and they finally gave up after repeatedly losing buoy after buoy to fillet knives and outboard props.

6ballsisall
09-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Dr Jim's Course may be available. The course is portable, collapsable,
negiotable, submersable, available, trasferable, trailerable, and adjustable,
etc etc etc

Get my point

Jim@BAWS

rotflmao!! :woohoo: :purplaugh

shepherd
09-04-2005, 08:58 PM
:woohoo: Woo hoo!!!! :woohoo:
I did a little exploring and found a ski course on a fresh water lake 15 miles from the house. My wife and I went early this morning. The water was laid down and we were the only boat out there at 8:30 this morning

Awesome! :headbang:

For those of you who haven't skiied the course, you don't know what you're missing. 10 hours later and I'm still stoked!

I was thinking about selling the MC, but now I'm keeping her.
We're going back out there tomorrow morning. The wife is great. She's my driver and she can also back the trailer down the ramp. :smile: Slalom skiing rocks!

shepherd
09-04-2005, 10:51 PM
OK, I've calmed down a little. I was on my 4th Mai Tai when I wrote that last reply. Anyway, if I can drag my hungover butt out of bed early tomorrow, it's back to the ski course. But, one more beer... :toast:

Hopefully, I'll post some pics in the "Let's see your glass waters" thread tomorrow evening.

Cheers everyone. Hope you're enjoying your holiday.

Leroy
09-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Shepherd; Not hopefully, we are all anticipating glass water, salom course ski pictures! :toast:

shepherd
09-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, the water was choppy yesterday so no "glass waters" shots (though I managed to ski a couple sets through the course anyways). We're going back one evening after work this week so stay tuned...

Before this weekend, it's been about a year since I've been through a slalom course. 22' off sure is a lot shorter than it used to be! :eek: