PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge

gatorguy
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
So the fuel gauge on my 97 ps205 is acting really crazy. When it is all the way full it reads full, but then once I've driven it a bit it just bounces around like crazy between full and empty.

I haven't tried anything yet, but I'd like a little advice on where to start. I've tried looking for other threads on this, but none have the same problem.

agarabaghi
08-19-2011, 11:13 AM
sender / gauge

gatorguy
08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
sender / gauge

Yeah, that's what I figure, but I don't want to just buy parts I don't need. I'd like a sensible method to narrow it down or fix the current parts.

agarabaghi
08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
well short your gauge
if should go to full
if it does get a new sender
if it doesnt get a new gauge...

they are like $50 - $60 each
send me a pic of your gauge mine might work for you (mainly the connection)

wrobins1
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
you can cross the signal and ground wires on the sending unit side of the wires going to gauge and see if the gauge goes to full then to empty when the short is removed this should allow you to rule out the gauge

gatorguy
08-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Sound good. I'll get on it this weekend I think.

ricford
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
There is an excellent thread in the frequently asked questions section to do with repairing your sender. I did it on my 96 prostar in about 2 hours for the cost of a tube of super glue. Check it out.

Andyg
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Sounds like the magnets on your float have come off and are moving around on the board that reads where the magnets are giving you your fuel level. I fixed my old boat for less than five bucks by JB welding the magnets back into the float. Just make sure not to use too much JB weld so the float can still move freely in the tube. That was back in 2001 and it is still working today.

Andyg

gatorguy
09-10-2011, 07:44 PM
So I finally got around to working on the fuel gauge today. Pulled it out and it looked nothing like the one in the FAQ write up by Skipper. Well it kind of looked like it. I didn't take any picts, but the top outside had 5 SS screws and 2 tiny adjustment screws that had sealant on them. The part inside the tank was an aluminum rod about as big around as a pencil. When I look in the bottom of it there was a little white cross looking thing at the bottom. It did not seem to slide up and down. I thought the rod was screwed in to the top and I started to crank on it with some channel locks and got a couple deg. of rotation out of it, when I realized it was staked with a rivet. There was also a small bare silver wire going from the rivet and wrapping around the top of the rod a few times. Well I was a little disappointed I wasn't going to get to use the superglue I bought, because it was obvious that my unit was different than the one in the FAQ.

So I unplugged the gauge and the needle went to empty, I shorted the wires and it went to full. So I plugged it back in and dipped the unit back in the tank and it worked perfectly. I don't know what i did to fix it, but my guess is that there was some grunt in the small rod, and when I twisted on it with the pliers, it must have broke loose.

So I put it all back together and hopefully it stays working for a few more years.