PDA

View Full Version : 2011 X-Star wakesurfing; X25 video

JonnyD
08-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi guys,

I purchase my first boat this summer and I said to myself go big or go home... so I went with a X-star 2008... and so far what a summer!

The guy that use to have my boat bought a 2011 and is feature in this video (the show is in french by the way)...enjoy:

http://quebec.wake2wake.ca/quebec/h20/episode-6

Part A:
- youngster wakeboarkding behind a x25
- 6min wakesurfing behing a 2011 x-star... for the one that say x-star dont have great wake for surf, watch this.

Part B:
- wakeskating

Jerseydave
08-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Wow, that X-star is slammed for surfing! I wonder how much weight is being used and where.

pro10is4life
08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Wow, that X-star is slammed for surfing! I wonder how much weight is being used and where.

+1

I would really appreciate it (as I think others would too) if you could find anything out as far as how much ballast and its distribution, as well as if they're using any surf tabs, etc.!

Granted I haven't slammed our star too, too much, but our surf wave doesn't even compare to the one in the video.

Thanks!

CottagerGreg
08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Best mix I have for surfing on my x-star is as follows....

750 in port locker, 750 on cockpit floor (rear), all factory ballast full. 5-6 people in the boat or a sac under the port side seat

speed is key to have a longer wake... we set it for 12.2mph.

CottagerGreg
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Look at the sacs in the x-star on the video... I'm gonna try this weekend.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/misc/xstarsurf.jpg

CottagerGreg
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Then looking at this snap shot... they have A LOT of weight in this xstar. I'd be scared to put this much in the boat

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/misc/xstarsurf2.jpg

ntidsl
08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
How in the heck is any of this legal? First nobody in the boat is sitting, people are riding on the sundeck, and that boat has got to be overweighted. You like to surf? Go to Hawaii. Quit eroding my front yard with your over ballasted wakeboard boats.

MuskokaJ
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
How in the heck is any of this legal? First nobody in the boat is sitting, people are riding on the sundeck, and that boat has got to be overweighted. You like to surf? Go to Hawaii. Quit eroding my front yard with your over ballasted wakeboard boats.

Using that logic, I suppose we should ban all boats greater than 30 feet in length. There are plenty of boats on my lake that are not wakeboard/surf boats that produce wakes that are equal to, or larger than, the wakes thrown by wakesport boats. Those type of boats have been on our lakes for decades, I don't see anyone complaining about them...

CottagerGreg
08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I love it when a 65 marquis goes by on plane on the trent-severn waterway... nothing like a 4' high wake that swallows small boats for breakfest!

MattsCraft
08-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Really, these surf wakes are any bigger than the 30' + cruisers on the river running off plane or barges??? The boat is overloaded, remind me not to buy a boat from these guys loading them down with 3000lbs+ ballast... The wake behind that Xstar while tall is total junk and short. My son who is probably one of the best surf board riders I have seen will tell you, a tall wave is good, but it is all about the length (pun??)

It is not about seeing how much weight you can add to the rear, just like a good wakeboard wake, the proper balance for the boat with a good long curl wave is the idea. I have had 10 people in my X2 and the rub rail touching the water and the wave is not really any better than how we normally load the boat and 4 to 6 people. Again, getting the proper balance for the hull is the key.

MuskokaJ
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Further to my first comment, if you have to put that much ballast in a boat to generate a decent wake, you've got the wrong boat. As much as I am a fan of Mastercraft boats in general, there isn't a single boat in the lineup that generates a truly "proper" surf wake.

scharette
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Cool video but come on wear life jacket while towed by a boat. 2 years ago my wakesurfer struck me in the forehead and did a 2 inch cut. Good thing i had my life jacket (ok i have a comp vest but it still float me). Then two week ago one of my rider was also struck in the face by is wakesurfer. That first aid kid came handy...

This video aired on cable TV (RDS). What a good example for my kids...

Jerseydave
08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I noticed the same safety violations myself. At least 3 tickets if you did this in NJ.

1. no PFD
2. passenger on sun deck
3. overloaded boat

We have a min rope length of 35 feet here, so I have my special rope that I attach to the bow eye, go over the tower and back to the rider. Even with that, we always stop surfing when to popo gets close, wait for them to leave and then we resume. Lawmakers here didn't understand that wakesurfing is safe as long as you use inboard boats, no outboards or I/O's.

kevkan
08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Bunch of nanny state whining. Is a person on the sun deck really in any danger? The prop is in front of them. People have trick skied for years without a PFD. Yes, I make everyone behind my boat wear a PFD, but I can certainly see situations where it wouldn't be a problem. Yes, the boat is dangerously overloaded, but what is worst case scenario? Swamping? At least they don't have 12 people in the bow to fall out.

That 35' rope rule is stupid. A surfer doesn't need a rope! Another option would be to tie a big knot about 12' into a 35' rope. Just hang onto the knot, instead of the handle/end of rope.

ridesdirt
09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Well I would like to surf that wave, I wish I had that behind my X-Star. But I am not comfortable using that much weight. It looks like they are going pretty fast too...

As far as safety goes... obviously not in the states, so more power to them.

deminimis
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Back to life! I lifted this from WW (not my post or my boat): #1100 sacs in the aft compartments.. The X star does not like any KGB or bow weight. It'll wash out.. #450 on the aft seat.. and if we don't have someone to hang on the rear deck, we fill a brick #250 on the platform.. The surf wake is dialed goofy or standard @ 10.8 to 11.2.

I'm going to try something similar next time out, but need to order up another sac first. I'll fill factory tanks (except KGB), 750 in each locker, two 400 sacs on the surfside aft corner seat. I also read (probably same thread even) that sinking the boat past the rub rail starts to hurt the wave (plus it's obviously safer not to do that). We shall see.

CottagerGreg
08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
We run a 750 in the rear locker, 750 on the floor (back) and factory front and port full. Speed 11.8mph

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202012/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNzE0LTAwNjIwLmpwZw.jpg

GregS
08-02-2012, 07:36 PM
We have a 2010 X-Star....with the plug and play option. We will play with the ballast this weekend to see how we can improve it for surfing. We usually fill all the hard tanks then the rear starboard or port bag depending on if we have someone surfing goofy or someone surfing regular. I will try all the hard tanks and the both rear bags full and keep the bags under the front seats empty.

I have seen some sick surf wakes on some X-45's! I am sure the new X-Star has a nice surf wake as well.

deminimis
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, tried port and starboard full, KGB empty. 750 in each locker, 400 under observer, 400 on rear seat at port, 155 brick in port corner of floor. It was a freak'n disaster. I don't know what that thing was behind my boat, but it was not a surf wave. Looked more like a pressure washer on steroids. Nearly full throttle to go 12mph.. So, took the 750 out of the starboard locker and put it on the observer seat. Actually ended up be a respectable wave, but not as good as I've had in the past. Sorry, no pics. I think I might be getting close, however. Next time, 750 in port locker, 400 under observer, 750 on floor along observer, or on the rear seat, 400 in the walkway, port and starboard filled. Perhaps strap the 155 on the swim deck if needed.

moleson10
08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
We run a 750 in the rear locker, 750 on the floor (back) and factory front and port full. Speed 11.8mph

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202012/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNzE0LTAwNjIwLmpwZw.jpg

I run KGB, port hard tank, 1100# in rear locker and 750# under the glove box on my 08 x* and it looks very similar to yours. My speed is 11.5 mph. With this setup the wave is pretty good, but the pocket is short. I need about 4 people on top of the balast and then it's real good. 180 spins are doable, Full 360 is tough.

deminimis
09-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Tried a new recipe on Labor Day. Port and Starboard full, KGB empty. 750 port locker. 750 along gunnel (observer's seat), 400 under observer's seat, 400 along back seat (helps keep the 750 in place). 155 on floor under the overhang of the 750 that is on the observer's seat. Found 12mph to be about right. Three adults in boat and my two nuggets. They only took one viddy of me and it was just a short one before I lost the wave (really, I had nice long rides that they never shot...no really). Wife was a the helm (my usual helmsman was at home with a damaged leg), so you can see she keeps turning to starboard ever so slightly, which hurt the wave. Yea, that's my story. Oh well, it's for the good of the order, right? After seeing this viddy, I've decided I need to not chew gum. Here goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5HPWy1zbg&feature=youtu.be