PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump done after 26 hours

bjames
08-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Already after 26 hours on the boat my KGB ballast pump died. The motor still runs but the pump doesnt. I opened up the pump and confirmed the green rubber impellor appears not to be damaged. I can turn the impellor by hand, but it almost seems like the shaft may be spinning or uncoupled from the motor.:confused:

Of all the other boats i had with ballast, this IS the first pump to fail on me. Especially after only 26 hours:confused::confused:

Anyone else have issues with the Jabbo pump?

agarabaghi
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
are your pumps on timers? or do you manually do turn them on and off?

bjames
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
They are on timers, but I always turn off once the BIG shows the tank full or empty. I never leave them on or relay on the timer.

sand2snow22
08-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Warranty. I do want to try the Johnson pumps someday. Waiting for my next pump failure. Shouldn't be long.....

02ProstarSammyD
08-19-2011, 08:20 AM
^have any info on them. I have one that is dead and would love to try another option

Jerseydave
08-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Are you sure the center of the impeller is not spinning within itself?

Remove the impeller and turn the pump on....does the shaft spin?

agarabaghi
08-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Ive heard they are pretty much the same. That being said I have over 250 hours on 3 jabsco pumps iwth no issues. I even left one running over night, and it was off the next day, but the switch was on. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started wokring again. have you tried to unplug and plug it back in?

MC X-15
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
08 x-15. all my pumps are shot and to be honest only worked well for the first few outings. Had them replaced under warranty once, again all shot. Its a terrible design IMO. And for the amount of cash these boats are they need to fix the design or pumps or somehting. Very unhappy customer with the ballast. I use fat sacs now which sucks.

MC X-15
08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
ill try unplugging and plugging back in. Maybe that will work. Doubt it though. I heard turnign the pumps over helps. Havent tried it

agarabaghi
08-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Seems weird, maybe since we use the pumps daily they stay alive longer. Like i said 250+ hours running them and no issues. Then again mine dont have timers or anything

KnoxX2
08-19-2011, 09:36 AM
08 x-15. all my pumps are shot and to be honest only worked well for the first few outings. Had them replaced under warranty once, again all shot. Its a terrible design IMO. And for the amount of cash these boats are they need to fix the design or pumps or somehting. Very unhappy customer with the ballast. I use fat sacs now which sucks.

Have you checked the impellers and how often did you change them?

ShawnB
08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
They are on timers, but I always turn off once the BIG shows the tank full or empty. I never leave them on or relay on the timer.

I am pretty sure that you don't have timers since you have Plug and Play. Easy enough to test, try to leave the pump on for more that the timer setting in your BIG. I can run the port pump for 12 minutes straight (and usually have to to get all of the surf bags filled :D )

MC X-15
08-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Have you checked the impellers and how often did you change them?

All impellers have been changed to green. All pumps look brand new. I do only get to use my boat every other weekend so maybe bc they dont get use daily the may be crapping out. Like i said, at one point they all worked. Then one stopped. one wouldnt fill, one wouldnt empty. Then got 2 replaced under warranty. Then fixed them myself. Its been a battle. My local dealership went out of biz bc they sucked big time. Im kinda over it and resort to fat sacs. Would be nice to use them though bc its a nice option and sure is easier than fat sacs.

KnoxX2
08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
I would bench test them before I changed them. You can put power to them from a battery and take the cover off. If the pump is running but the impeller is not moving could be the shaft stripped out the center of the impeller. Also call Jason at wakemakers. I know he has rebuilt more than a few of these. Hope this helps.