PDA

View Full Version : MC Gravity Fill Ballast system?

BTV
08-18-2011, 04:19 PM
A MC dealer told me that MC pays a fee to the company that invented the gravity fill ballast system (like MB uses) to have the right to use the system.

I have never seen a MB, but the gravity ballast system looks good to me. Maybe something new for 2013? Maybe the system on the new XStar? I would love to see it as an option on MC.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Jim@BAWS
08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
?????? And whom gave you this info???

Jim@BAWS

CantRepeat
08-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I hope not. There is no way to pump water out while on the lake. Once you fill it you have to pull the boat out of the water to empty it. It sounds like a pretty poor design.

Honkity Hank
08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I think you can drain the tanks by opening the valve while underway, the low pressure zone sucks the water out. But why would they not have a pump to empty as well?

sand2snow22
08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
I hope not. There is no way to pump water out while on the lake. Once you fill it you have to pull the boat out of the water to empty it. It sounds like a pretty poor design.

Wrong, MB system you just get out of the hole, open the gate and they empty. Fill in 60 seconds, empty in 60 seconds. Oh, but what about if the boat is dead. Unlike the PT, MB system has a manual override. So you can empty them while getting towed back to the dock and/or while putting your broke down boat on the trailer. How do you get the water out of your tanks/bags if your boat won't run and the batteries are dead?

BTV
08-18-2011, 06:45 PM
?????? And whom gave you this info???

Jim@BAWS

Texas MasterCraft

They are a new MB dealer. In talking to them about MB system they said MC pays the fee.

CantRepeat
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Wrong, MB system you just get out of the hole, open the gate and they empty. Fill in 60 seconds, empty in 60 seconds. Oh, but what about if the boat is dead. Unlike the PT, MB system has a manual override. So you can empty them while getting towed back to the dock and/or while putting your broke down boat on the trailer. How do you get the water out of your tanks/bags if your boat won't run and the batteries are dead?

You don't? :D:confused:

Pumps are fine. And I don't think you have very much control over how much you fill or trying to add more weight to the system. Seems counter productive to me. You can measure how much you let out or how much you let in... it's an all or nothing system from what I've read. Not a very diverse plan at any level.

TallRedRider
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I have not seen a single complaint about MB's system anywhere on any message board. Honestly that is enough said.

Now roam the boards for ballast complaints and you will find #$&* everywhere. #1 warranty problem is most likely ballast related. For a dealer, the MB system is a dream.

Who wants half ballast? I don't think I have ever filled half ballast.

MC would be leading the pack to be the first of the big 3 to offer this. They would take some heat for not being 'innovative' but it would be a huge selling point.

As to the original poster saying MC pays for MB's system...What is he talking about?

CantRepeat
08-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I have not seen a single complaint about MB's system anywhere on any message board. Honestly that is enough said.

Now roam the boards for ballast complaints and you will find #$&* everywhere. #1 warranty problem is most likely ballast related. For a dealer, the MB system is a dream.

Who wants half ballast? I don't think I have ever filled half ballast.

MC would be leading the pack to be the first of the big 3 to offer this. They would take some heat for not being 'innovative' but it would be a huge selling point.

As to the original poster saying MC pays for MB's system...What is he talking about?

I think there are issues with the design and software of MCs stuff. But really, pumps that are hard wired without timers and all that BS work just fine.

Yes, I do switch ballast and I do sometimes run half KGB and I do sometimes fill starboard half way to offset fuel.

There are a ton of reasons to move fill and change ballast settings while on the water. :D

Thrall
08-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I agree w/ tall red as long as you could fill tanks individually. I never fill the little MC tanks half way, maybe if they were big tanks that held more.
The only downside is if you have to unload ballast if you're out of commission. If batteries are dead, you're not getting the water out with either system. If the engine is down, you can still empty with pumps.
So you make a gravity system that has a port in the top that you can throw a ballast pump or a bilge pump into to empty if you're broke down. Simple, just a plate with a gasket or a hose connection with a hose into the tank and a cap on it.
Personally if my MC batteries died resulting in a tow/trailer with factory ballast it wouldn't be a huge deal. What does it hold? 800-1000lbs?
If one of the big gravity systems was stuck full 2000-2500lbs that would be an issue. Simple to solve though like above.
And if you're getting a tow, you can likely get 12V to your boat from the tow boat to empty out.

vision
08-18-2011, 09:12 PM
The common concerns mentioned regarding gravity based ballast include:

1. Adding supplemental ballast. While not impossible, it certainly could be difficult to add additional ballast to stock ballast and still use the stock fill method. Certainly no problem as long as you do not mind throwing pump hoses over the side or have a supplemental pump system built in. The latter however would seem to defeat the beauty of a gravity system.

2. Running half ballast. When your built in ballast is 1000lbs, this is not much of an issue as you likely would always use full ballast or no ballast. But, since adding third party ballast is problematic usually gravity based systems are large (MBs is 2500lbs IIRC). In this situation running partial ballast is desirable.

We run "partial" ballast on our X-star most of the time. How much we fill our Fly High system is dependent on the number of people in the boat as well as rider skill, particular desired speed and line length.

3. Balancing left to right. There has always been concern with systems that fill or empty rapidly that is would be difficult to add or subtract 100 lbs to one side.

Whether these are truly problems, I have no idea as I have not used one.

sand2snow22
08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
OP, are you sure you didn't mis-remember (Roger Clemens). MB instead of MC. MB, owner Mike Brendell would pay Mike Murphy, owner of the pure vert patent. If MC does switch to this system for the 2012-13 X-Star it wouldn't surprise me, then they would have to pay Mike Murphy royalties. I can't see many X-Star owners wanting 1/4-1/2 ballast :)

CantRepeat
08-18-2011, 10:45 PM
lol Mike Murphy, the guy that stole the Air Chair patent from Bob Wooley? What lewser friend that guy turned out to be.

BTV
08-18-2011, 10:59 PM
OP, are you sure you didn't mis-remember (Roger Clemens). MB instead of MC. MB, owner Mike Brendell would pay Mike Murphy, owner of the pure vert patent. If MC does switch to this system for the 2012-13 X-Star it wouldn't surprise me, then they would have to pay Mike Murphy royalties. I can't see many X-Star owners wanting 1/4-1/2 ballast :)

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think so. I was told MasterCraft pays a licensing fee for the right to use the gravity system. Dealer even said he doesn't understand why MC pays for right to use system and they don't use it.

As others have said there are some good reviews of the system on Wakeworld. I think it would be a great option. I am tired of wasting so much time filling and emptying built in ballast as well as sacks.

sand2snow22
08-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Not only MB, but Calabria and Centurion have pure vert ballast. Might be coming to cut costs. No more pumps, hoses, warranty issues etc. Guy on here has a new X-25 with 26 hours and a pump failure already......

DeeeJay02
08-19-2011, 02:42 AM
There are Pro's and Con's to any ballast system or boat. but,If the new MB ballast's the same as the older MB's than there "con" is that the ballast empty gate valve has a one way flap and the problem my buddy always had was that sometimes debris would keep the flap from closing, and when he would come off plane after emptying, it would start filling back up. Now with that in mind MC, Tige, Nautique, etc.....they all use pumps, in fact, the same pumps.

TallRedRider
08-19-2011, 08:35 PM
There are Pro's and Con's to any ballast system or boat. but,If the new MB ballast's the same as the older MB's than there "con" is that the ballast empty gate valve has a one way flap and the problem my buddy always had was that sometimes debris would keep the flap from closing, and when he would come off plane after emptying, it would start filling back up. Now with that in mind MC, Tige, Nautique, etc.....they all use pumps, in fact, the same pumps.

I cannot speak for sure for Nautique, but Tige uses aerator style pumps, which are more trouble free, IMO. But they do bring another set of problems with priming and such. I think that can be overcome quite easily with good engineering and a well thought out design, but there are many opinions on this. So for example, Tige's ballast system is different than MC's.

I have heard of the debris in the gate valve being a potential problem. This is the first time I have heard of someone with first hand knowledge of it causing an issue. I would suspect it is rarer than ballast pump failure, however. Seems like today there are several ballast pump failure threads going on.

ksdaoski
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Vinyl that fails in 5 years
Fuel pumps that fail if you only use the tank to 7/8 of its capacity
And ballast systems that fail too often.

Seriously makes one reconsider the entire brand. And if every brand has issues, why pay 100k?

So kind of seems funny to see all the naysayers rip on an idea or system, just because it's not with mc. Reminds me of the posts ripping on any type of wake shaper as being worthless because a real wakeboarding boat doesn't need one for if the hull was designed correctly. And now of course they all come with an option for tabs...

DeeeJay02
08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
I cannot speak for sure for Nautique, but Tige uses aerator style pumps, which are more trouble free, IMO. But they do bring another set of problems with priming and such. I think that can be overcome quite easily with good engineering and a well thought out design, but there are many opinions on this. So for example, Tige's ballast system is different than MC's.

I have heard of the debris in the gate valve being a potential problem. This is the first time I have heard of someone with first hand knowledge of it causing an issue. I would suspect it is rarer than ballast pump failure, however. Seems like today there are several ballast pump failure threads going on.

That's true

CantRepeat
08-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Seriously makes one reconsider the entire brand. And if every brand has issues, why pay 100k?

So kind of seems funny to see all the naysayers rip on an idea or system, just because it's not with mc. Reminds me of the posts ripping on any type of wake shaper as being worthless because a real wakeboarding boat doesn't need one for if the hull was designed correctly. And now of course they all come with an option for tabs...

You assume far too much.

It doesn't make one bit of difference to me if MC made it or not. I'm not a boat snob. I'm "ripping" on it for the reasons I posted and nothing else. A system that you have very little control over doesn't sound like a good design to me. Fact is, other then no mechanical and fast fill times it doesn't offer anything new. Add that to almost no flexibility in weighting seems pretty poor. I use half ballast on two of my tanks at times. I only fill one side most of the time. I'm always moving weight based on the number of people in my boat.

Nothing funny about facts. Rather then try to down talk people because they don't agree with you just stick to the subject.

DeeeJay02
08-20-2011, 12:56 AM

Well' the vinyl's life is determined by how it's used and the care and maintenance it's given.....and the ballast and fuel pumps, what are you going to do, there both electrical based pumps and electrical fails from time to time. Things break you can't avoid it, it happens. I have a 2006 XStar and I had to replace my fuel pump after 195 hours, but maybe another XStar of the same year might have gotten over 500 hours out of there's, s#*t happens and sometimes you just need to accept it, fix it and get back out on the water.

And as for ripping on all things that aren't MC's.....well, this IS a "Mastercraft" specific forum. MC has been proven for 40 years and has brought a lot of innovation to the indistry. People buy what they like, my dad, two brothers and my best friend all have Tige's, I have an XStar. Are there thing that I like about the Tige, yes.....are there things they like about my Mastercraft, yes.....everyone likes different things and therefore different boats. So before you start M Fing everyone up and down for being loyal to MC, it's because they love there MC for there own reasons.

doug@drainmaster.com
08-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Thrall,
I am the mfg of the ballast valves for MB Centurion and Epic.
If the boat looses power there is an 1/8th inch Allan wrench stored on every valve. Simply remove it and turn the override 1 full turn and the valve will be open. Of course if the boat motor doesn't work it posses an issue because you have to be moving forward for the water to exit the ballasts. We do not recommend you load the boat on your trailer because the weight could cause damage to the boat or trailer. It has been done, go to YouTube and search Pure Vert to see it in action.
The ballasts fill in under 2 minutes depending on the ballast capacity and empty in less than a minute. The procedure used to fill and adjust the ballast weight; while the rider is getting in the water the driver opens the ballast valves and when the gauge indicates full he/she closes the valves. Lots faster in most cases than the rider can get ready to go. Once up on plain the driver adjusts each tank, together or independently, to achieve the desired wake for that rider. When the rider falls or want to stop the driver slows down, opens the valves (or not) and the warter exits the ballast tanks. He/she then closes the valves. If the folks want to change location they do not have to drag all that weight to the next location, saving fuel in the process. We have had one incident of a ballast valve getting clogged with debre and it was a fellow on the Ottawa river between Ontario and Quebec and he admitted that the river was full of sticks and logs from the spring run off. If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact me by email doug@drainmaster.com or phone 877 787 8833 X12 toll free.

doug@drainmaster.com
08-23-2011, 05:36 PM
DeeeJay02 and skdaoshi
See my reply to Thrall and if you have more questions contact me.

MattsCraft
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Personally I have to agree with DeeeJay on this. I have about 270 hrs on my X2, no problems with my ballast fill or empty or my fuel pump either, however I follow simple and recommended rules for each.

Pumps/MC manual, did you read it??? Run the pumps with the engine running at 1500 RPM's, simple right. I have found and posted many times before, fill standing still in Neutral @1500RPMs, empty in motion at 1500RPM's or greater. I am not a fan of a gravity system.

Fuel Pump, of course there has been an update, but never run much below 1/4 tank unless you have to to get home, simple boating rule, 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve. Jeez, you purchased a $50K plus boat, you can't afford to fill up before you go out???

BIGBADBLUE
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I wish this was true for me ... I have been through 3 pumps on my 2011 X14 with 120 hours on it. I do all the reccomendations as well. 1500 RPMs ... everytime ... maybe it is my magnetic personality

vision
08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I wish I knew what some last longer than others. I abuse the crap out of mine and I have 470 hours and not a single problem.

BIGBADBLUE
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
I wish I knew as well ... driving me nuts!!!

ddanenberger
08-23-2011, 06:49 PM
2011 x25 1 of the 3 failed at 72 hours.

sand2snow22
08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Doug, have you ever had a conversation with MC or Malibu?

Jeff d
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
It doesn't seem like it would take much to incorporate a pair of 1200 gph or so bilge pumps into a gravity system as a backup emptying solution. They draw so little power you could run them on the battery if the engine wouldn't run. They could also come in handy if you forgot to empty before getting to the no wake zone. Rather than have to turn around and cruise for 2-5 minutes you could flip the empty switch and idle back to the dock.

sand2snow22
08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
It doesn't seem like it would take much to incorporate a pair of 1200 gph or so bilge pumps into a gravity system as a backup emptying solution. They draw so little power you could run them on the battery if the engine wouldn't run. They could also come in handy if you forgot to empty before getting to the no wake zone. Rather than have to turn around and cruise for 2-5 minutes you could flip the empty switch and idle back to the dock.

Cruise around for 2-5 minutes? Look how fast they drain. NOTE: this boat is ON the trailer with 2,400 lbs. ballast. I think it is safe to assume MC builds a better trailer than the one this boat is sitting on......6,700 lbs sitting on that trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYhawR_IU-E

doug@drainmaster.com
08-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Not true, you can adjust each ballast independently from full to empty as lond as you are underway

doug@drainmaster.com
08-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Doug, have you ever had a conversation with MC or Malibu?

I have never had a conversation with either company. Mike Murphy has a number of years ago and MC was very interested at the time---but then the economy went South and companies went into the survival mode. We seem to be coming out of it now so more mfgs. are looking into the system. They have to build a new hull mold and they are expensive. As in all industries the customer drives new products--or kills them! The Pure Vert system has been around in one form or another since 2001. It is currently on more than 1,500 boats and I have yet to meet a rider, owner or dealer that has anything but positive comments about the system, its performance and the simplicity. The KISS principal of engineering was used by Mike Murphy to invent this system, he patented it and he does charge a License fee for each boat manufactured in the USA. This should be looked at as incentive for all the creative boat owners out there, as an opportunity to invent and licenses their product to the boat mfgs.

doug@drainmaster.com
08-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Jeff,
If you are looking for a project go ahead and invent away. The ballasts empty in about 50 seconds when the boat is moving forward fast enough to have the transom out of the water. The valves come with a manual override system so if you suffer loss of power simply open the valves, in a minute, close them, slow down for the no wake zone, your done. Remember you can always load the boat and pull it out of the water far enough to drain the ballasts, you just do not want to leave the water in there any longer than you have to, when on the trailer.

willyt
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
so say i want to add more than 2400 lbs of ballast in my boat (which i do fairly regularly for my better riders). What then? I know that's been covered, but i actually do like the idea of being able to fill ballast without the aid of pumps. I'm thinking... why can't we design a hybrid of the two systems? gravity fill with pumps as the backup/add additional ballast.

Just like mattscraft, I've put 200 hours on my boat (from 720 to 920) and havent had a single problem with my ballast pumps. I want to say they look original as well. Perhaps the quality of the pumps has fallen off over the last couple years?

sand2snow22
08-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Just like mattscraft, I've put 200 hours on my boat (from 720 to 920) and havent had a single problem with my ballast pumps. I want to say they look original as well. Perhaps the quality of the pumps has fallen off over the last couple years?

I think they are like the marathon tires. You obviously received a good batch. I have a 2008 X-Star with 128 hours. Port pump is not working, however, I think it could be the yellow impeller.

sand2snow22
08-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Doug, I'm already inventing and patenting a ballast gauge for pure vert :)

doug@drainmaster.com
08-24-2011, 11:10 AM
so say i want to add more than 2400 lbs of ballast in my boat (which i do fairly regularly for my better riders). What then? I know that's been covered, but i actually do like the idea of being able to fill ballast without the aid of pumps. I'm thinking... why can't we design a hybrid of the two systems? gravity fill with pumps as the backup/add additional ballast.

willyt
You can add bladder ballast all you want, then use the Pure Vert system to easily adjust your wake profile for each rider.

doug@drainmaster.com
08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Doug, I'm already inventing and patenting a ballast gauge for pure vert :)
Great!!! Keep in touch with me, I love working with creative people while making a product that solves customer frustrations. The last boat I was on had 1 gauge and a switch to monitor each ballast. I think a double or triple gauge set, one for each ballast give the driver more control, at a glance than having to switch from ballast to ballast and wait for the delayed response time. Epic has 3 ballast tanks, one in the bow and yes it is fed the same way the other 2 are.

sand2snow22
08-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I wonder if the new X-Star will come with pure vert? I can see it being too expensive for existing models, but new models, maybe....

jason95gt
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Doug,

How does the pure vert fill up additional ballast bags that are on top of the floor?

CantRepeat
08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
How does one person drive the boat and let out some ballast to change the wake/wave? Where are the valves located?

How do you concentrate most of the weight in the rear corners for surfing?

sand2snow22
08-24-2011, 01:53 PM
How does one person drive the boat and let out some ballast to change the wake/wave? Where are the valves located?

How do you concentrate most of the weight in the rear corners for surfing?

Getting the transom above the waterline drains the tanks or getting up on plane or getting the nose in the air, etc.. The gates are in the back. Did you not see this post? :D

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=783475&postcount=31

i.e. Let's say you're pulling a wakeboarder, both tanks are full. Next person up wants to surf on the port side. You simply open the gate to the starboard tank, by the time the rider can let go of the rope, you have a perfect surf wave (smaller platform on MB). The starboard tank is empty in 60 seconds and you can close the gate......

doug@drainmaster.com
08-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Doug,

How does the pure vert fill up additional ballast bags that are on top of the floor?
Jason,
They don't, the system is designed to have the ballast below the deck which are built into the hull. Depending on the hull design 3,000 plus ponds can be added. If you had a boat with the Pure Vert system in it and wanted to add more ballast than the existing ballast capacity you could fill sacks like you probably do currently. The neat part about the Pure Vert system is the ease and speed you can add and remove water as well as making quick adjustments to the wake on a per rider basis. The system is simple, easy to operate and for the most part maintenance free. As I mentioned in another post the big issue for the manufacturers is designing and build new molds to accommodate the system. In the long run it pays off in lack of warranty issues as well as lots of happy customers.

CantRepeat
08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Getting the transom above the waterline drains the tanks or getting up on plane or getting the nose in the air, etc.. The gates are in the back. Did you not see this post? :D

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=783475&postcount=31

i.e. Let's say you're pulling a wakeboarder, both tanks are full. Next person up wants to surf on the port side. You simply open the gate to the starboard tank, by the time the rider can let go of the rope, you have a perfect surf wave (smaller platform on MB). The starboard tank is empty in 60 seconds and you can close the gate......

So if it's just me and my wife out and I want less ballast she has to leave the helm, while underway, to go open a gate and let it out?

If I want to go from wakeboarding to surfing she has to leave the helm, while underway, to open a gate?

I would suggest some sort of electrice valve that is contolled at the helm for version 2.0.

BTV
08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
From the MB site.

How system works

Your boat comes equipped with Drain Master, Electric Ballast Valves. We are confident that this product will be a true benefit to your future boating experience.

Your Drain Master is extremely easy to use and requires little maintenance.

Before you use your wake system, make sure you have read and understand how the wake system works.

When you are ready to fill your ballast tanks, simply push the switch u toward the word “open” and hold it for no more than 2 seconds. The valve opens and the ballast tanks will fill completely in about 50 to 60 seconds. The Drain Master will open in 1-2 seconds, which means you don’t have to hold the switch in the open position for more than 2 seconds. Holding the switch longer will pop the 5 amp fuse!

To close your valve, simply push the rocker switch to the “close” position. Again, the valve will close in 1-2 seconds.

The switch is a momentary center return. (Which means, when you release the switch, it will automatically return to off).

Never hold the switch in the open or closed position for more than 3 seconds.

When you are ready to empty your ballast tanks, push the switch down toward the word “Close” and hold for no more than 2 seconds. Open and Close work exactly the same so use the same procedure to fill and dump. The only exception is when dumping the ballast water, the boat has to be moving forward fast enough to expose the ballast drain inlet/outlets.

IMPORTANT: Should you ever lose power to your boat, you can open or close the valve manually. To do this, use the supplied 1/8” Allen Wrench secured on the back of the valve. On either side of the Drain Master, you will see the words “Manual Override” on the upper center area. The words Open and Close with directional arrows provide directions in which you will turn the hex head in the middle of this wording. Turn in the direction you need. There will be resistance as you are overriding a safety clutch, Turn until the shaft stops. The gate will fully open or close with about a turn and a half with the Allen Wrench. When convenient, check and correct electrical problem. NOTE: The manual override was designed for use in emergency situations only.

sand2snow22
08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
So if it's just me and my wife out and I want less ballast she has to leave the helm, while underway, to go open a gate and let it out?

If I want to go from wakeboarding to surfing she has to leave the helm, while underway, to open a gate?

I would suggest some sort of electrice valve that is contolled at the helm for version 2.0.

Already is push button. Stop hating, go try for yourself, then report back.

CantRepeat
08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Already is push button. Stop hating, go try for yourself, then report back.

It's more like legit questions about a new system with my included issues as I see them. Don't take offense when none is intended.

doug@drainmaster.com
08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
CantRepeat,
Hopefully this will clear up any confusion on how the Pure Vert system works.

Pure Vert/Drain Master Marine Ballast Valve Operating
Instructions/Warranty
Wake Ballast Systems 8/9/2011
Congratulations on the purchase of your new sports boat. Your boat comes equipped with Drain Master Marine, Electric Ballast Valves. We are confident that our product will be a true benefit to your future boating experience.
 Your Drain Master Marine valve is extremely easy to use and requires little maintenance.
 Before you use your wake system, make sure you have read and understand how the wake system works.
 NOTE:
If your boat has an LCD display and the Ballast system is controlled by it, you will need to refer to the manufacturers Ballast Operating Instructions for directions.
Center OFF Momentary Switch (light “Off”)
Port, Starboard and Forward Ballast Switch (if equipped)  When you are ready to fill your ballast tanks, simply push the switch up toward the word “open” and hold it for no more than 2 seconds. The ballast valve opens, the light in the switch comes on and the ballast tanks will fill completely in approximately 1 minute depending on ballast capacity. Your boat must not be moving when filling the tanks.  The ballast valve will open in 1-2 seconds, which means you don’t have to hold the switch in the open position for more than 2 seconds. Holding the switch longer will pop the 5 amp fuse! The Light in the switch will be on as long as the Ballast valve is Open!

Center OFF Momentary Switch
L.E.D. Light “ON”
 When the ballasts are full, simply close your valve, by pushing the rocker switch to the “close” position. Again, the valve will close in 1-2 seconds. The Light in the switch will go Off!
 Never hold the switch in the open or closed position for more than 3 seconds.
 When you are ready to empty or adjust your ballast tanks, push the switch up toward the word “Open” and hold for no more than 2 seconds. Open and Close work exactly the same so use the same procedure to fill and dump. The only exception is when dumping the ballast water, the boat has to be moving forward fast enough to expose the ballast drain inlet/outlets.
 IMPORTANT: Should you ever lose power to your boat, you can open or close the valve manually. To do this, use the supplied 1/8” Allen Wrench secured on the back of the valve. On either side of the Drain Master Marine Ballast Valve, you will see the words Manual Override on the upper center area. The words Open and Close with directional arrows provide directions in which you will turn the hex head in the middle of this wording. Turn in the direction you need. There will be resistance as you are overriding a safety clutch. Turn until the shaft stops. The gate will fully open or close with about a turn and a half with the Allen Wrench. When convenient, check and correct electrical problem. * see attached picture. NOTE: The manual override was designed for use in emergency situations only (i.e., loss of power, problem with valve) – It is not meant to replace the switch.
 NOTE: If your valve becomes sluggish, you may need to remove the valve and remove debris from the gate area. Change and lubricate the seals, (only the seals purchased from Drain Master Marine will work with this valve, Part #DM30-SB). Lubricate the seals with Dow Corning 111 only.
Complete Valve Assembly
NOTE:
One valve is required for each Ballast tank.
To remove the ballast valve:
Disconnect the electrical plug. Loosen rubber couplings with the band clamps furthest from the ballast valve assembly. Remove the 4 7/16 SS nuts and bolts from the flanges holding the ballast valve in place. Slip the rubber couplings back on the pipes from the transom and to the ballast tank about 1” each. The ballast valve should be easy to remove.
To replace the ballast valve:
Grease the ballast valve gate on both sides with Dow Corning 111 grease or equivalent. Non petroleum base. Makes sure the gate on the ballast valve is closed! Place the 2 seals on the flanges, NOT IN THE BALLAST VALVE!. Pull the flanges back into place and install the 4 SS bolts and nuts, FINGER TIGHT! Now tighten NO MORE than 1.5 full turns with a 7/16” wrench Reconnect the electrical plug and test.

IMPORTANT: Should you ever lose power to your boat, you can open or close the valve manually. To do this, use the supplied 1/8” Allen Wrench secured on the back of the valve. On either side of the Drain Master Marine Ballast Valve, you will see the words Manual Override on the upper center area. The words Open and Close with directional arrows provide directions in which you will turn the hex head in the middle of this wording. Turn in the direction you need. There will be resistance as you are overriding a safety clutch. Turn until the shaft stops. The gate will fully open or close with about a turn and a half with the Allen Wrench. When convenient, check and correct electrical problem. * see attached picture. NOTE: The manual override was designed for use in emergency situations only (i.e., loss of power, problem with valve) – It is not meant to replace the switch.
400 Park Center Dr. Ste. # 6 Hollister CA 95023 Phone 877 -787- 8833
www.drainmastermarine.com
DM72-4
Drain Master Marine Warranty
What Is Covered and For How Long
We are confident that our product will perform well and therefore warrant to you, as the original purchaser, for a period of 1 year from the date of original purchase, that your new product will be free of mechanical and electrical defects in material and workmanship.
What Drain Master Marine Will Do & How to Get Service
If your boat is still under manufacturer warranty, please refer warranty issues to your manufacturer. If the boat is outside of the manufacturer warranty and your product is covered during the Drain Master Marine period, we will replace your new product (you pay the shipping costs), which will be your exclusive remedy under this warranty. Drain Master Marine may require the valve be returned (at customers expense) before determining warranty status. Drain Master Marine shall not be liable for any special, incidental, indirect or consequential damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, labor or installation charges, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption or any other pecuniary loss) arising out of the use of or inability to use the product. If your valve is eligible for return to Drain Master, please call us toll free for a return authorization number and shipping instructions.
Send To: Drain Master LLC. Marine Customer Care Dept. 400 Park Center Dr. Ste 6, Hollister, CA 95023
Please be aware that use of the product on improper voltage or current, use contrary to operating instructions, or disassembly, repair, or alterations by any person other than a reputable boat service repair company may render your product warranty void.
How Your State’s Law May Apply
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state or province to province.
If you need any assistance, please call us toll free at 1 877-787 8833.