PDA

View Full Version : faceplant with broken equipment

-V-
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
So, there I was..........perfect morning on Belin Lake........water was calm........and i had just learned how to go over the wake from my boat and I thought it would be nice to "jump" over it............my father-in-law had just learned that if he turns the boat he has to give it a little more to keep me up.........I was behind the boat to the right and he was making a left turn.........I decided "hey, I am going pretty fast, i could easily go over the wake and get some air!!!".......BIG MISTAKE.........as I turned my board in towards the wake I started going pretty fast.......as I got to the wake itself apperently i didn't have the front of my board high enough because it caught the wake........it pulled my board straight down into the water.....this is where i shouldv'e let go, but didn't......as the rope pulled me foward from the tower, the board was still being pulled down, the forced pulled both my feet half way out of both boots before shattering both bindings off the board, at the same time is when my face hit the water as hard as it could. It was fun and a learning instance. I guess it's time for some new binding and maybe a new board.

But I still can't wait to get back out there!!!!

gr82bgreen
08-18-2011, 12:45 PM
So, there I was..........perfect morning on Belin Lake........water was calm........and i had just learned how to go over the wake from my boat and I thought it would be nice to "jump" over it............my father-in-law had just learned that if he turns the boat he has to give it a little more to keep me up.........I was behind the boat to the right and he was making a left turn.........I decided "hey, I am going pretty fast, i could easily go over the wake and get some air!!!".......BIG MISTAKE.........as I turned my board in towards the wake I started going pretty fast.......as I got to the wake itself apperently i didn't have the front of my board high enough because it caught the wake........it pulled my board straight down into the water.....this is where i shouldv'e let go, but didn't......as the rope pulled me foward from the tower, the board was still being pulled down, the forced pulled both my feet half way out of both boots before shattering both bindings off the board, at the same time is when my face hit the water as hard as it could. It was FUN and a learning instance. I guess it's time for some new binding and maybe a new board.

You have a warped sense of fun.

Double D
08-18-2011, 12:48 PM
So, there I was..........perfect morning on Belin Lake........water was calm........and i had just learned how to go over the wake from my boat and I thought it would be nice to "jump" over it............my father-in-law had just learned that if he turns the boat he has to give it a little more to keep me up.........I was behind the boat to the right and he was making a left turn.........I decided "hey, I am going pretty fast, i could easily go over the wake and get some air!!!".......BIG MISTAKE.........as I turned my board in towards the wake I started going pretty fast.......as I got to the wake itself apperently i didn't have the front of my board high enough because it caught the wake........it pulled my board straight down into the water.....this is where i shouldv'e let go, but didn't......as the rope pulled me foward from the tower, the board was still being pulled down, the forced pulled both my feet half way out of both boots before shattering both bindings off the board, at the same time is when my face hit the water as hard as it could. It was fun and a learning instance. I guess it's time for some new binding and maybe a new board.

All I can do is chuckle... :uglyhamme:uglyhamme We need to see those skills this weekend!!:rolleyes:

-V-
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Been in the Army for 12 years, I have never quit, and I always try to improve, my warped since of humor comes from good times abroad and making the best out of the worst.........besides, when my girls start doing stuff i don't want them to be quiters, I would rather they keep trying. :-)

curtish
08-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I ripped out a threaded insert from my board once while attempting...something.

Hollywood
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Good story! LOL

-V-
08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
figued i would throw a shot of the bottom of both bindings just to show.........byt the way, i am in the market for some new bindings and possably a board....any suggestions?
:D

curtish
08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Not sure about a board, I bought mine about 7 years ago and have no plans to replace it. However, last year I bought a pair of Ronix Divide open-toe bindings and I love them! They are super easy to get into and are the most comfortable I have ever used. I hate struggling to get in and out of my bindings so for me the test was putting them on at the store dry. These passed with flying colors.

-V-
08-21-2011, 09:50 PM
thanks, i'll be looking for some soon.

Thrall
08-21-2011, 11:01 PM
I found some Gator closed toe bindings last yr for $99. Held up good so far, very comfortable and I had a broken thingy for the laces and Gator sent new stuff right away.
Excellent for only $100 and I've had a few face plant binding jerkers that resulted in less damage to the bindings than me.

jwardenjr
08-23-2011, 01:19 PM
figued i would throw a shot of the bottom of both bindings just to show.........byt the way, i am in the market for some new bindings and possably a board....any suggestions?
:D

Wow that had to hurt !

GoneBoatN
08-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I have the Ronix Cell boots. Closed toe and fit quite well giving extra control, not that I have skills that it becomes obvious to others. My board is a Liquid Force Witness which is a hybrid 3-stage rocker. I find that the hybrid bites a little less when doing surface spins and has just a little more forgiveness. My son has a full 3-stage that I feel is just a little too unforgiving.
BTW, after a year of wakeboarding I can finally jump the wake. I just barely make it to the top of the second wake. For being 50 this Sept I will settle for that.

I know what you mean about being pulled forward when the board digs in and stays behind. About a few months back I had it happen to me. I pulled something in my midsection that hurt for a couple weeks but finally went away. I now let go at the first sign that I think I will fall and let the boat come back to get me. Keep at it and keep it fun.