PDA

View Full Version : Shaft packing adjustment

81SNS
08-17-2011, 06:50 PM
OK since I have had the boat ( 81 stars/stripes) I have always had a bit of water in hull after use, maybe a quart after 2 hours of running, not that bad I didnt think but could be made better, so I adjusted it at home (minimal maybe 2 flats of the nut )and head to the lake, ran it 3 minutes and stopped to check it, and it was HOT, dang that thing is touchy, so I let some tension off and run it for 15 more minutes and all seems good, then yesterday after work I head to the lake and take a spin, ran it for 10 minutes and stop to check it and all seems good, maybe a little warm but nothing alarming, and I get a little bit of water on my hand so I figure all is good, til I get back and I have probably 1 1/2 gallons of water in the hull? anybody have any suggestions for adjustment?

bturner2
08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
When was the last time you changed the packing itself? If the answer is never or several years you may want to consider pulling out the old stuff and switching over to the newer Teflon material. The new stuff runs cooler and can be adjusted so that there is nearly no water dripping from the shaft.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=flax+packing&page=GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=stuffing_box_packing

Great article here on packing.....

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

JMann
08-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Or just order this from everyones favorite SkiDim and be done with it. Takes like 15 minutes to install.

FrankSchwab
08-17-2011, 11:33 PM
It may not be the packing - how much does it drip? It should be on the order of once every 5-15 seconds.

If the packing isn't dripping too much, then you have a leak somewhere else - and there are a lot of possibilities:
1. Around the exhaust flanges where the exhaust pipes go through the hull
2. From the water circulating pump
3. From the raw water pump
4. From some other cooling system leak (hoses, gaskets, freeze plugs, etc)
5. Through the rudder port

/frank

81SNS
08-18-2011, 09:05 AM
I agree Frank, I removed motor cover, back seat and floor section last night so hopefully I can take it to the lake this afternoon and check it better , I had been just raising the floor up enough to work and couldnt really monitor everything.