PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips

heysteve!
07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
i just cleared the wake today and i dont go out often bc i ride with a buddy of mine i need some suggestions on what to try over the wake... like grabs or rotations....easier things

SKI*MC
07-30-2005, 10:45 PM
hey heysteve, this person that takes you out sure seems like a cool guy, i mean he pays for fuel, takes you out, and all that and probably teaches you new tricks... I would try some grabs, like a tail grab or indy, then when that gets easy, 180 over one wake. Tell him to teach you this stuff, i'm sure he will be more than happy to teach you!

heysteve!
07-30-2005, 11:07 PM
well yeah please i need some suggestions im going out soon!

SKI*MC
07-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Help my main man out here!!!

ssippiriverrat
08-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I would say first start getting nice consistant air--everytime you pop. Learn butterslides or bunny hop 180s and get consistant riding fakie. Once you feel you have mastered that try indy grab and 180s. I would start out with half cabs (which is starting fakie and rotating to regular)--because they are easier to land.

Alteczen
08-09-2005, 04:15 PM
work on taking your heelside jumps up and consistent wake to wake. Make sure you work on the toeside jumps as well. Don't neglect toeside even tho it may feel awkward (you will thank yourself later). Everytime you take a heelside jump...return with a toeside.

Taking your jumps up while going wake to wake will allow you to grab. Keep the handle close to your body and give a little tug on the rope just before going up to give yourself slack to make the grab. Start with indy (grab between your feet) - it's the easiest to get at first.

Mag_Red
08-09-2005, 04:32 PM
I would say first start getting nice consistant air--everytime you pop. Learn butterslides or bunny hop 180s and get consistant riding fakie. Once you feel you have mastered that try indy grab and 180s. I would start out with half cabs (which is starting fakie and rotating to regular)--because they are easier to land. I wish I understood 1/2 of what you said. :D My daughter calls them buttermilks and olivers :purplaugh

ssippiriverrat
08-10-2005, 12:23 AM
I wish I understood 1/2 of what you said. :D My daughter calls them buttermilks and olivers :purplaugh

Ooops, sorry dude, I guess everyone has their own terminology. Ok, a butterslide is simply moving from regular footed (usually left foot forward) to fakie (usually right foot forward) by sliding the board in one quick motion--this is done by moving handle from the left hip to the right hip. Try to place your weight over the center of the board. Once you are in the 180 position, place more weight on the tip to allow the board to track for stability. To get back around, do the same thing from back to front.

The bunny hop 180 is the same thing except you pop in the air to rotate the board first.

Indy grab as said above is a grab with the right hand (if you are normally left foot forward) in the middle of the board.

180s with the wake are basically bunny hop 180 except you use the wake to get air.

Half Cabs are 180s with the wake but you start fakie (usually your right foot forward) use the wake to get air and rotate to regular (usually your left foot forward).

Here is a list of tricks that you might want to use as you start progessing

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tourney/tricklistalph.asp

SKI*MC
08-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Yeah, heysteve was boarding with me the other day, he got his toeside jumps down now, he has his ollies, and he does nose grabs, he can even clear into the flats on his heelside edge, i think he should try a 180 now.

PendO
08-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah, heysteve was boarding with me the other day, he got his toeside jumps down now, he has his ollies, and he does nose grabs, he can even clear into the flats on his heelside edge, i think he should try a 180 now.

Did he help you out with gas money;) 180 is next, I'd say have him sign a waiver though as you can eat some serious chit - have fun;) Are you guys wakesurfing at all?

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Indy grab as said above is a grab with the right hand (if you are normally left foot forward) in the middle of the board.

Huh, you just taught me something. I did one of those for the first time this past weekend. Now, I SUCK bad on a wakeboard. I'm a slalom skier at heart but when the chop picks up I'll ride it. I can jump wake to wake toeside, do a butterslide but that's about it. Here's a terrible photo and YES I know the board is supposed to be more level.

ssippiriverrat
08-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Huh, you just taught me something. I did one of those for the first time this past weekend. Now, I SUCK bad on a wakeboard. I'm a slalom skier at heart but when the chop picks up I'll ride it. I can jump wake to wake toeside, do a butterslide but that's about it. Here's a terrible photo and YES I know the board is supposed to be more level.

Nice man, actually that looks like a indy stiffy (where you show the bottom of the board to the boat and grab in between your feet) so really you did a more technical trick than just a indy grab. Trust me I used to be where you are--I liked wakeboarding it was fun to do here and there but I was really into slalom skiing--well let me tell you wakeboarding is the most addictive sport there is--Now it is all I do and I haven't skiied for like 2 years. You just start landing some big tricks and you will see--your first invert is maybe one of the coolest feeling ever. Plus the ladies like flips better than walls of waters.

just my :twocents:

Cary K.
08-16-2005, 11:43 AM
a butterslide is simply moving from regular footed (usually left foot forward) to fakie (usually right foot forward) by sliding the board in one quick motion--this is done by moving handle from the left hip to the right hip. Try to place your weight over the center of the board. Once you are in the 180 position, place more weight on the tip to allow the board to track for stability. To get back around, do the same thing from back to front.

Without starting an arguement, the trick you described is a surface 180. A Butterslide is a sliding with the board perpendicular to the boat out in the flats (or in the butter, hence the name). Frontside butterslide is with your chest facing the boat, Backside is with your back facing the boat.

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I just enjoy being on the water. Wakeboarding is fun but just like slalom skiing, when you try and teach yourself it takes awhile.

ssippiriverrat
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Without starting an arguement, the trick you described is a surface 180. A Butterslide is a sliding with the board perpendicular to the boat out in the flats (or in the butter, hence the name). Frontside butterslide is with your chest facing the boat, Backside is with your back facing the boat.

ya, you are probably right--Around here we call it a butterslide 180 and it must have been shortened to simply a butterslide. Besides doing a butterslide sounds cooler than doing a surface 180 ;)

heysteve!
08-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Did he help you out with gas money;) 180 is next, I'd say have him sign a waiver though as you can eat some serious chit - have fun;) Are you guys wakesurfing at all?

well we have been friends since 7th grade so i think we are good. but i learned toeside and heelside wake to wake and nose grabs and idk ask SKI MC im not sure lol!

MarkP
08-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Without starting an arguement, the trick you described is a surface 180. A Butterslide is a sliding with the board perpendicular to the boat out in the flats (or in the butter, hence the name). Frontside butterslide is with your chest facing the boat, Backside is with your back facing the boat.:woohoo: So I did a front side at Norris by accident just before I fell..

mcprostar197
08-18-2005, 10:35 PM

I was thinking that same thing when I read that post.

mcprostar197
08-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Nice man, actually that looks like a indy stiffy (where you show the bottom of the board to the boat and grab in between your feet) so really you did a more technical trick than just a indy grab. Trust me I used to be where you are--I liked wakeboarding it was fun to do here and there but I was really into slalom skiing--well let me tell you wakeboarding is the most addictive sport there is--Now it is all I do and I haven't skiied for like 2 years. You just start landing some big tricks and you will see--your first invert is maybe one of the coolest feeling ever. Plus the ladies like flips better than walls of waters. just my :twocents:

A stiffy is when your legs are completely straight and you grab the board. Atleast thats what it is as a snowboarding trick. But, maybe its different for wakeboarding....

SKI*MC
08-18-2005, 10:45 PM
no a stiffy is when the board is infront, or below you, with your legs poked out straight while grabbing the board.

mcprostar197
08-18-2005, 10:52 PM
no a stiffy is when the board is infront, or below you, with your legs poked out straight while grabbing the board.

I said with your legs straight grabbing the board.....

ssippiriverrat
08-19-2005, 12:43 AM
I think a stiffy is legs in front without grabbing the board and indy stiffy is legs in front with grabbing the board--must be different than the snowboarding trick.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tourney/trickdesc.asp?TrickID=39

heysteve!
08-22-2005, 06:43 PM
stiffy is trick and you have to grab. and ur legs have to be straight it doesnt matter. :eek3: