PDA

View Full Version : Prop Pitch and What they mean???

tall_ andy
08-26-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm looking for a spare/replacement prop for the boat. Mostly waterski, but also wakeboard and plan on trying to foot! Right now I have a 13x13 prop. What is the difference with a 14x14. I know that I will either give up top end or hole shot. But what do the corresponding #'s mean. I've seen 13x12 etc.
Thanks

André
08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
The first number is usually the diameter of the prop.
The pitch is the distance in inches that a prop would travel in one complete rotation in you would turn it like a nut on a bolt.The higher the pitch and you will gain on top speed and lose on hole shot.
Hope this help...I would check before changing diameter! :twocents:

MasterCrafting
08-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Would a 4 blade 13x13 be the same as a 3 blade? Is the differance noticable? :confused:

T Scott
08-26-2004, 11:03 PM
In my opinion, a 4 blade prop would be the way to go. It offers a better hole shot and more consistent pull over a 3 blade configuration due to more blade surface area in the water. The ONLY disadvantage is that you will lose ~1-2mph top end speed.

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 10:47 AM
If you buy an Acme 3 blade, or similar CNC prop, i.e., OJ XMP revolution 3 blade, you can likely drop pitch (I went to a 13x12), increase hole shot, smooth out your ride, and not lose any top end. My 3 blade Acme 13x12 is some of the best money I've ever spent and was much cheaper than OJ's CNC prop. Acme claims it can do anything a four blade will do (and you don't lose top end). I have not run it side by side on the same boat with a four blade, but my Acme will get me up on one ski before the wakes every time.

Bill Weeks is a very nice guy. www.acmemarine.com. He can explain all the technical aspects of it much better than I can.

A lot of people on the board have switched to Acme, and seem to be enjoying their new props from what I can remember.