PDA

View Full Version : starter board

tommcat
08-15-2011, 09:53 PM
looking for some input from you guys, i'm going to be weighting up the 205 soon to try wakesurfing and am looking for some advice on choosing a beginners board. i dont know how the wake will be on my dd 205 so i need a board that will be forgiving while i'm learning to surf and learning to shape the wake on the boat.

if it makes a difference, the boat will be weighted with a 650 pounds rear seat sac in back, a 750 pound sac on the left side of the engine and a 250 pound sac under each bow cushion.

thanks in advance
tom

MattsCraft
08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
We have a Liquid Force "Venture" which is probably the easiest board to get up on. It is a 3 fin set up and the center fin is deep. We also just won a CWB Tsunami, which many people say is a good beginner board. Having tried a lot of boards, the Tsunami is pretty easy, but harder than the Venture, I think it is more whippy in the tail, like the Venture it is a 3 fin set up, but the fins are shorter making the tail want to kick around more. For starters, I think a longer board, while a little harder to control for deep water starts is your best bet 5' to 5'6" with a 3 fin set up and a deep center fin. As you progress, you can experiment with removing fins. (Center or side) Personally, I prefer a shorter skim style board that my son uses for 360's and all kinds of tricks.

With all that, It is really personal preference, I have newbies once they get the basic concept, get up and ride all 3 of my boards. If you have a board shop close by, I suggest you demo a couple first, these boards are not cheap!

davidstan
08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
i have the Inland Surfer Mucus board, 5 footer and if i can surf it anybody can, good size for just about anyone in the boat.

V-man
08-16-2011, 03:21 PM
We have a IS Blue Lake for beginners. You may be able to find a used one. Or check this out:

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/boards/bluelake-v2.htm

tommcat
08-17-2011, 03:12 PM
We have a IS Blue Lake for beginners. You may be able to find a used one. Or check this out:

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/boards/bluelake-v2.htm

That's the one i am leaning towards. just trying to find a used one or a really good price

tommcat
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM
anyone have some input on the triple x boards?

V-man
08-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Contact Jeff from Soulcraft. He can custom make a board for you at a reasonable price.

http://www.facebook.com/soulcraftboarding

madcityskier
08-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Picked up a HyperLite Landlock from a garage sale couple years back. Ridden several other boards, and nothing else is nearly as easy. That said, not exactly something you'll be doing any tricks on. Great for bringing kids on the board with you.

cmarty123
08-25-2011, 01:27 PM
We have never dealt w/ surfing before, but my 110 lb. son wants to try it. Maybe a silly question, can you surf with a kneeboard just to try it out? The appearance looks similar to a surf board.

jdhart73
08-27-2011, 02:15 AM
You can find some great "reasonable" beginner boards at LakeWakes.

RE: Kneeboard, short answer is NO. Very different, you really should invest in a board for the kid if he wants to start surfing. Phase 5 makes some grom and scamp boards that would be a good fit and won't set you back much.