PDA

View Full Version : Battery going low..

Jimmy B
08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
after replacing quite a few thing because of other issues,... Alt, Ground wire, terminals, a few other little wires (corrosion), I thought that everything should be great. Nope..

first, when I went to turn it over, it spun, waited about a second, then spun again and fired right up.. After 2 hrs of boarding/swimming, (turned a boat off a few times during that time) I was being pulled and the motor sputtered a bit on takeoff and died, I think the carb needs to be adjusted. But brother went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead. I swam in and got it to start, but seemed like the battery was low on power. The alt was jsut rebuilt all teh electrical was workign great during the time we were out, untill that time. There is a little white box (1x1x3) thatis on the back of the motor that some of the wires go to, what is that? and could that be the problem?

As always, turnign to TT, as yall are great and havent let me down!

JimN
08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
after replacing quite a few thing because of other issues,... Alt, Ground wire, terminals, a few other little wires (corrosion), I thought that everything should be great. Nope..

first, when I went to turn it over, it spun, waited about a second, then spun again and fired right up.. After 2 hrs of boarding/swimming, (turned a boat off a few times during that time) I was being pulled and the motor sputtered a bit on takeoff and died, I think the carb needs to be adjusted. But brother went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead. I swam in and got it to start, but seemed like the battery was low on power. The alt was jsut rebuilt all teh electrical was workign great during the time we were out, untill that time. There is a little white box (1x1x3) thatis on the back of the motor that some of the wires go to, what is that? and could that be the problem?

There's no way to know what the white box is without photos- any writing on it? It could be the voltage regulator and those do go bad. If the battery voltage drops considerably while it sits, I would check this. Does your boat have an ammeter on the dash? Turn the key to ON and look at the ammeter0 it should be on the line at the center, not above or below when the engine is off. If you want to be more accurate, use a multi-meter set to AMPERES and measure this- you'll need to disconnect one battery cable, then connect one test lead to the cable and the other to the battery post.

Before you do anything, clean and tighten the battery cables and posts.

Jimmy B
08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300176_2229105560769_1041748886_2642916_1707014_n. jpg

The box on the top is the one i am talking about.. Triple checked everything again as far as wiring.. everything was tight..

etduc
08-17-2011, 05:21 PM
That's a ballist resistor. One the purple wires should go to your distributor. It looks like, it has been by passed.(can't quite see it clearly.) Are there purple wires, on booth sides of the resistor. If your distributor has been changed, it may not be needed. (Some distributors have internal resistors.)

Did you check the voltage output at your alternator, with a volt meter. I had a loose wire on the back of my key switch(not making good contact), causing a parasitic volt drain.

etduc
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
There's no way to know what the white box is without photos- any writing on it? It could be the voltage regulator and those do go bad. If the battery voltage drops considerably while it sits, I would check this. Does your boat have an ammeter on the dash? Turn the key to ON and look at the ammeter0 it should be on the line at the center, not above or below when the engine is off. If you want to be more accurate, use a multi-meter set to AMPERES and measure this- you'll need to disconnect one battery cable, then connect one test lead to the cable and the other to the battery post.

Before you do anything, clean and tighten the battery cables and posts.

Also. What he said, it does make a difference.

Jerseydave
08-17-2011, 09:24 PM

After checking everything that JimN told you to check, your next step might be to remove the starter and have it tested. It sounds like once your engine is really hot, the starter is having trouble turning it over.

JimN
08-18-2011, 12:08 AM
I would also verify the timing advance is correct at idle and that the advance weights aren't sticking. Excessive advance while cranking hot will make it hard to turn over- if one or both weights are sticking after running at higher RPM, this will happen.

oldairboater
08-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Just what I was thinking. Weights stuck out or timing off anyway and when engine gets hot it really drags the starter.I would also verify the timing advance is correct at idle and that the advance weights aren't sticking. Excessive advance while cranking hot will make it hard to turn over- if one or both weights are sticking after running at higher RPM, this will happen.

Jimmy B
08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
narrowing it down.. so, yesterday, went out for a hour, didnt turn it off while we were boarding, just in case.. nice and warm at the end of the runs, we went back to the ramp and I turned it off. right away, started it again and it started right up, figureed it was fixed, so i cut it off. 3-4min later I tried it again and nothing, engine wouldnt turn over.

Brought it back to the house, didnt put a charge on the battery, let it sit all night, went out this morning it started right up!!

So, do I get this right that the timing is off? weights are not corect? (explain weights please? lol)

I am so thankful for this forum! yall have helped SO much..

JimN
08-19-2011, 11:14 AM
narrowing it down.. so, yesterday, went out for a hour, didnt turn it off while we were boarding, just in case.. nice and warm at the end of the runs, we went back to the ramp and I turned it off. right away, started it again and it started right up, figureed it was fixed, so i cut it off. 3-4min later I tried it again and nothing, engine wouldnt turn over.

Brought it back to the house, didnt put a charge on the battery, let it sit all night, went out this morning it started right up!!

So, do I get this right that the timing is off? weights are not corect? (explain weights please? lol)

I am so thankful for this forum! yall have helped SO much..

You can't tell unless you check the timing while it won't start.

Jimmy B
08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
ok, so I kinda have to do it right after some runs.. and how? with a timing gun? advance/retard the timing?

Im crossing my fingers that this might be the cause.. then I wont have to worry while out on teh water.. at least untill I have somethign else I have to fix.. lol

JimN
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
ok, so I kinda have to do it right after some runs.. and how? with a timing gun? advance/retard the timing?

Im crossing my fingers that this might be the cause.. then I wont have to worry while out on teh water.. at least untill I have somethign else I have to fix.. lol

Does your distributor have points? If so, how long since they were changed/adjusted? If it has been a long time, the gap, timing & dwell need to be checked and adjusted, as needed. Yes, with a timing light. The gap should be about .026"- .032", but the actual specs should be verified by checking the sticker on the valve cover (if it has one) or a service manual.

Jimmy B
08-19-2011, 11:39 AM
no, it was upgraded before I got it... so, no points, and that was something I was going to do anyway