PDA

View Full Version : wanting to purchase Depth Finder for Birthday gift

luckygal
08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I am wanting to get a birthday gift for my boyfriend and would like to get him a Depth Finder for his master craft. If any one could help I would appreciate it. I know he is wanting something small, not sure of brand or anything but if you have any suggestions on brands please let me know!

Double D
08-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Hummingbird is what I put in my boat. This is as small as it gets and goes in the dash in an empty spot or replaces something not needed, like my clock.... Here is a link:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Depth+Finder&hl=en&rlz=1C1_____enUS395US395&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=955&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5208736978146751985&sa=X&ei=umBITuCNCuWIsQLI2-3XBQ&ved=0CIMBEPMCMAA

Ski-me
08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I purchased a Faria Depth finder that also had a temp sensor for the air and water. I have been very pleased with it. The one I got was a "glue in" puck so that no holes are drilled in the boat.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74431&pdesc=Faria_Digital_Depth_Sounder_with_Air_Water_T emperatures&str=depth+gauge&merchID=4005

What boat and year, if possible, does he have?

Miss Rita
08-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Humminbird's $99 unit works just great.

LaRue
08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
i second the Faria Unit. Clean look, readable display. reads while boarding, skiing and WOT. you can purchase for less than the price at Overtons.

russlars
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I purchased a Faria Depth finder that also had a temp sensor for the air and water. I have been very pleased with it. The one I got was a "glue in" puck so that no holes are drilled in the boat.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74431&pdesc=Faria_Digital_Depth_Sounder_with_Air_Water_T emperatures&str=depth+gauge&merchID=4005

What boat and year, if possible, does he have?
Just curious, how does it get the water temp when there is no hull perforation?

LaRue
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
U will need to mount the temp sensor on transom. Some would say this is a no no but imho it looks just fine under platform.

russlars
08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
U will need to mount the temp sensor on transom. Some would say this is a no no but imho it looks just fine under platform.
Any pics or better description of how you did this? The thoughts of drilling a hole in my boat scares me for some reason. Maybe I could use the existing hole for the pilot tube that is now nonfunctional since adding Perfect Pass?

Ski-me
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Any pics or better description of how you did this? The thoughts of drilling a hole in my boat scares me for some reason. Maybe I could use the existing hole for the pilot tube that is now nonfunctional since adding Perfect Pass?

Because I have PP, I only need one speedo tube so I utilized the other spot to mount the temp sensor. I threaded the wire through the extra speedo tube hole in the transom and then used the same screw holes that held the lever arm for the temp sensor itself.

When the boat is not moving and sitting in the water, I get a good reading. If I'm driving, the sensor is out of the water and it shoots up into the 90's. Once I re-submerge it, I get the water temp in about 3 minutes or so. I have a pic and will post tonight if I remember.

Works good for me and no "extra holes" were drilled.

Ski-me
08-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Here you go......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/nielson2020/Mastercraft%20Boat/DSC_0093.jpg

russlars
08-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the pic. I think that looks like a good winter project for me.

russlars
12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Because I have PP, I only need one speedo tube so I utilized the other spot to mount the temp sensor. I threaded the wire through the extra speedo tube hole in the transom and then used the same screw holes that held the lever arm for the temp sensor itself.

When the boat is not moving and sitting in the water, I get a good reading. If I'm driving, the sensor is out of the water and it shoots up into the 90's. Once I re-submerge it, I get the water temp in about 3 minutes or so. I have a pic and will post tonight if I remember.

Works good for me and no "extra holes" were drilled.
So this is how I would like to mount my temp sensor. Can you tell me if you were able to thread the wire through the existing speedo tube or did you have to completely remove the tube and reseal around the existing hole in the hull? Any other pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

east tx skier
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I like Faria as well. I have the one with air and water temp on it, but they make a depth gauge without the rest, too.

Barefooter92
12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
look at my post #5 in the thread mounting depth/temp guage

I installed my temp sensor in the raw water intake.

russlars
12-22-2011, 12:59 PM
look at my post #5 in the thread mounting depth/temp guage

I installed my temp sensor in the raw water intake.
Novel idea. May consider going this route instead of the old speedo tube location. Where did you put your air temperature sensor?

Ski-me
12-23-2011, 12:34 AM
So this is how I would like to mount my temp sensor. Can you tell me if you were able to thread the wire through the existing speedo tube or did you have to completely remove the tube and reseal around the existing hole in the hull? Any other pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I removed the whole tube and then thread it through the hole. I then hit it with some clear silocone. Haven't had any issues. Only problem is the temp reading isn't accurate (at all) when the rear end is out of the water. Once I slow down to idle, it only takes about a minute to re-adjust the the water temp.

FYI - Sitting in N. Idaho on the lake this Christmas!! So pretty and peaceful out her.....:cool:

psychobilly
12-23-2011, 03:02 AM
I am wanting to get a birthday gift for my boyfriend

GOOD GIRL!!!!!!

Barefooter92
12-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Novel idea. May consider going this route instead of the old speedo tube location. Where did you put your air temperature sensor?

Mine did not have the air temp sensor for this model year. Wish it did. Most of the units have the air temp thermocouple in the gauge itself so it reads air temp at the dash. If you had a seperate thermocouple I would put it in the open air in the shade...like under your gunwale

russlars
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
So I am preparing to install the Faria depth finder with air/water temperature sensors in my '99 205. For those of you have done this project yourself I have a few questions.
1. According to the instructions that came with the Airmar transducer you are supposed to attach the base to directly to the fiberglass in the bilge area. They are suggesting using GE Silicone I or II. Is this stuff strong enough to both seal and permanently bond this thing? It needs to be able to stay on tight and also to seal the antifreeze that the base is filled with. I think of sealant as a sealer but is it a good glue also? It says not to use epoxy.
2. Where is the best location to place the transducer? It does mention staying well ahead of the propeller and shaft and away from stringers or structural foam. How do you know where the stringers are? Any structural foam or coring in our hulls to worry about?
3. Anyone know what the dead rise is on a 205?
Thanks in advance and any other tips would be welcome:)