PDA

View Full Version : Crossover boat waterski and wakeboard?

Schuey87
08-14-2011, 04:21 PM
What Mastercrafts make the best crossover boat for wakeboarding and waterskiing? We currently have an 89 ski nautique 2001 which makes a great wakeboard wake with a bit of weight but the waterski wake is still pretty sizeable at about 28-30. Most people who use our boat, myself, my bro, my girlfriend all wakeboard, my dad waterskis and can do the inner buoys at 28. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of slalom in the future but 90% wakeboarding.

We may upgrade our boat next year, our budget would be in the region of the cost of an 04/05 X2. I will be footing the bill. I've heard that the X2 from that period (the same hull as the X1 makes a decent crossover boat, I know the wakeboard wake will be good with ballast, how is the slalom wake at 28? Or 30? Does anyone have any experiences slaloming behind one at 28? Or any pictures of the wake at that speed? The boat will mainly be used wakeboarding but I'd like it to be an improvement on the slalom wake of our current old SN 2001.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a boat in our price range that can do both, mastercraft or not?

Thanks!

Trig2275
08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I would look at the X-15 or the the X-14V. The 15 while an all around great performer will lean towards the wakeboarding side of things and the 14 a little more towards the ski side but still a great wakeboard wake. The X-15 is referred to by many as the best all around boat in terms of wakeboarding, surfing and slalom. Probably in that order as well in my opinion.

X-1Texas
08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I picked my 07 X1 in January and we love it. I had a 89 Supra Conbrio, it had a great slalom wake. I used to slalom a lot, but in the past couple years got more and more into wakeboarding and surfing. This summer with new boat I've mostly surfed, because I hurt my knee in the beginning of the year. I'm not sure about the slalom wake at 28-30, I ski at 34-35. We're going out this afternoon, I'll try to get a picture of the wake at 28. Not sure what the slalom wake is like on your SN 2001, but I would think it would be hard for any V-drive boat to beat it.

Coming from an older direct drive you'll love an X1. Lots of people on here talk about not having a lot of room, but I think the boat has plenty of room. I can store wakeboards and my Inland Surfer Squirt surfboard in the rear v-drive lockers along with a bunch of life vests. I guess if you have a family of 10 it would be cramped, but it works great for us. I like that it only weighs about 3000-3100 pounds, it's nice to drive and tow. Doesn't handle quite as racecar like as the old Supra, but it's still pretty good.

sand2snow22
08-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I would look at the X-15 or the the X-14V. The 15 while an all around great performer will lean towards the wakeboarding side of things and the 14 a little more towards the ski side but still a great wakeboard wake. The X-15 is referred to by many as the best all around boat in terms of wakeboarding, surfing and slalom. Probably in that order as well in my opinion.

Let me know when you find an X-15 or X-14V at the price of a 04/05 X-2 ;)

Schuey87
08-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I had heard the X15 was good, but being a newer boat it will be out of my price range. The boat will be 80% used for wakeboarding, how much better does the slalom wake get at 30? Maybe if my dad can get his speed up to 30, it would make it easier to get a wake improvement from a crossover boat. What speed are crossover boats designed to slalom at?

The wake on our SN 2001 is still quite a big step at 28. Much much bigger than all of the other direct drives I've been in. It's big enough that is I was to wakeboard at that speed I'm pretty sure I could get a few feet of air (not that I'd want to!)

yippikaiyay
08-14-2011, 05:13 PM
X14. May be a little more than you want to spend at this point based on your budget.....but maybe you can source out some good late seasons deals.

yippikaiyay
08-14-2011, 05:16 PM
There's a beautiful X15 on my lake, but at 28-30 mph, it's a huge wake for slalom.

Trig2275
08-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Let me know when you find an X-15 or X-14V at the price of a 05/05 X-2 ;)

My bad. Missed the budget part of the post.

Eagle
08-14-2011, 06:19 PM
The 04/05 X-2 is fantastic boat. I had an 05 X-2 for 5 years, replacing it this season with an X-5.

I got it to be a crossover boat - wakeboard, slalom, and surf. It's one of the best wakeboard boats of all time. The wake is narrow and just gets bigger and harder with weight. It skis very well for a V-Drive. And it surfs well, too.

The last years of the 205V-based X-2 remain in high demand as witnessed by the strong resale value of the 04/05 X-2's.

The X-1 is the same hull and will give you all the same fun with a little less bling.

It's really too bad that MC isn't making the hull anymore as it is a definite hall of fame boat. But I guess current preference is for a wider, more plush boat.

kevkan
08-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I've got a 2008 X-1. I pulled a couple of kids at 26 mph this week. I would say the wake, at that speed, is actually better than the SN 2001. We actually had 9 people in the boat at the time, so it would only get better with fewer people, or faster speed.

mccobmd
08-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I have th 06 x1, the wake size is moderate at 28 to 30. It's not the size that is so bad it is the "hardness". Because this hull has a great wakeboard ramp it makes it a little hard when cutting. The wake is good at 30, better at 32 and course size at 34mph. FWIW the 310 RTP engine will do everything in this hull. It's not as pretty but there is no real difference in performance for this hull.

curtish
08-14-2011, 09:22 PM
X-9? A good used one would probably be within your budget.

02ProstarSammyD
08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
^x2 on the x9

Schuey87
08-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Interesting on the X-9, does anyone have any pics of what the wakeboard wake is like with this boat weighted?

yippikaiyay
08-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Interesting on the X-9, does anyone have any pics of what the wakeboard wake is like with this boat weighted?

If you search around a bit on here, you'll find some threads that review the X9. IIRC it has an excellent w'boarding wake, but slalom wake.....? Not so sure.

02ProstarSammyD
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
If no one posts any soon I'll get some the next time Im out on the boat (prob wed or fri). I love the wakeboarding rope, not sure about the slalom but I hear its one of the most well rounded boats.

brucemac
08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
+1 for 205V/X-2/X-1

we love our boat

willyt
08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Personally, i'd shy away from the X9, i think you'd get a much better wakeboarding wake with a 205V hull.
Mattscraft is the only person i know that's skied behind my boat (i have a 05 X2), and i think from observations and reports my slalom wake is actually bigger than his 09 X2's at that speed with his wakeplate deloyed (and you get a KILLER surf wake with the 06+ X2's...) Honestly, i'd keep X15, 06+ X2, 03-05 X2, and maybe the X14V in considerations, with the X15 definitely in the top end of the price range.

curtish
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Even though we have an X-9 and love it, if you are going to ride with lots of ballast frequently you may want to stay away just because of the lower bow (have taken a wave or 2). A 205 or 205V will probably be good for what you want and have a higher bow so you can actually use it for seating with weight.

cdevro
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
X2 - with a wake plate make for great skiing. The reason I went with the X2 was the ability to ski along with throw a nice surf wake. I have had pro ski instructors behind the boat and they were amazed at the shape and size of the wake for not being a flat bottom boat. Great all around boat.

zerps
08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
what about an X-7? Personally, I don't have one, but would love to hear from others that have ridden behind them (ski and board) about wake performance.
I'm considering one to replace my PS190- I ski, kids board.

willyt
08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
X7's are the PS197, which have the best slalom wake in the lineup. I've wakeboarded behind one... and its less than impressive even weighted. definitely more of a hardcore ski boat for the guy that wakeboards every month or so

MIskier
08-16-2011, 03:52 PM
X7's are the PS197, which have the best slalom wake in the lineup. I've wakeboarded behind one... and its less than impressive even weighted. definitely more of a hardcore ski boat for the guy that wakeboards every month or so

If they are weighted correctly ie more than just the rear ballast, it produces a wake with a decent shape and size.

02ProstarSammyD
08-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Even though we have an X-9 and love it, if you are going to ride with lots of ballast frequently you may want to stay away just because of the lower bow (have taken a wave or 2)

I've only had that happen 1x and that was due to retardedly terrible water conditions and poor driving decisions. I agree it gets low but thats a 1/1000 kind of situation that drains out

curtish
08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I guess we need to find out what he means by "a bit of weight." For us this is stock ballast full. For some people it means, 2k lbs plus 10 people in the boat. If this is what he is thinking I would not recommend the X-9.

Schuey87
08-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking that we would likely use 2000-2500 lbs ballast for wakeboarding, obviously dependent on the boat/hull, what works best wake wise, but hoping for a sizeable wakeboard wake. Not so sure about the x-7, most of our time is wakeboarding so maybe an x-1, or 205 hull x-2 would be good.

How is the 04/05 X-2 or the X-1 for ski wake at less than tournament speeds say 30mph with a wake plate? For the skiing we will be doing is likely to be this kind of speed on the course, we aren't 34-36 mph skiers im afraid! The main use of the boat would be wakeboarding though, we just want a reasonable ski wake at 30 odd if it is possible!

2RLAKE
08-17-2011, 06:30 AM
x14 is the perfect all around boat IMO

mccobmd
08-17-2011, 07:47 AM
The ski wake at 28-30 is reasonable. I have yet to find a 205V with a wakeplate. If everything goes according to plan I will be the first X1 with a wakeplate come next season. The ski wake is good, better than and I/O but hard. I sometimes put 400lbs in the bow which does soften it a bit, that is why I hope the wakeplate will help. If you are going to spend most of your time wakeboarding the X1 is great because it is a great wake without ballast, a beast with ballast.

Schuey87
08-17-2011, 08:04 AM
The ski wake at 28-30 is reasonable. I have yet to find a 205V with a wakeplate. If everything goes according to plan I will be the first X1 with a wakeplate come next season. The ski wake is good, better than and I/O but hard. I sometimes put 400lbs in the bow which does soften it a bit, that is why I hope the wakeplate will help. If you are going to spend most of your time wakeboarding the X1 is great because it is a great wake without ballast, a beast with ballast.

Cool, that sounds promising. If I were to get an X-1 or an older X-2, how difficult is it to fit a wake plate and what kind of cost are you looking at?

How much improvement do lu gt on the wake with a plate?

02ProstarSammyD
08-17-2011, 08:23 AM
I guess we need to find out what he means by "a bit of weight." For us this is stock ballast full. For some people it means, 2k lbs plus 10 people in the boat. If this is what he is thinking I would not recommend the X-9.

Very true. Maybe its just me but I've got 400 up front, 400 in back, and put 10 people in the boat and its more than a sufficient wake. I might try 2000 or so this weekend just to see how it goes.

mccobmd
08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I haven't done it yet so I don't know

Schuey87
08-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Cool, well I won't be buying a boat till next season. If you get it done maybe you could put a post up letting us know your experiences with a wake plate and how it affects the wake at different speeds? If you could that would be really useful. If I could be really cheeky, if you do, would you please be able to PM me the link to the thread so I don't miss it? Thanks!

TRBenj
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
We currently have an 89 ski nautique 2001

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a boat in our price range that can do both, mastercraft or not?
I always find it interesting when people get good service out of a vehicle, but are inclined to swap brands when it comes time to buy another, for a reason other than performance. Are the flashy graphics attracting you?;)

Ill be the black sheep and tell you that you should look at the CC 200 Sport... rumor has it that its the best crossover boat on the market. I havent skied a 214, so I cant comment on the difference.

The 200V is a new boat for '11 though, so Im not sure you'll find one in your pricerange... but if you do a lot more wakeboarding than skiing (but still care about both), the 211 deserves a look as well.

Schuey87
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I always find it interesting when people get good service out of a vehicle, but are inclined to swap brands when it comes time to buy another, for a reason other than performance. Are the flashy graphics attracting you?;)

Ill be the black sheep and tell you that you should look at the CC 200 Sport... rumor has it that its the best crossover boat on the market. I havent skied a 214, so I cant comment on the difference.

The 200V is a new boat for '11 though, so Im not sure you'll find one in your pricerange... but if you do a lot more wakeboarding than skiing (but still care about both), the 211 deserves a look as well.

I know about the 200V, if I had the money for it I'd buy one, it's way out of my price range unfortunately. I am also interested in the nautique 211V and the air nautique 216. From what I've seen coming up on the Market in the uk 211Vs seem a little pricier than the MC X-2s of the era I'm looking at. But they are boats I'm also considering, just a harder boat to find in the UK and possibly slightly over my budget. If you look at my first post I did ask for any advice about non mastercraft boats too but being an MC forum replies are always going to be mainly about MCs, if anyone can recommend models from other manufacturers or has any info on or pics of wakes of SV211s, air 216s or other recommended boats feel free to chip in cos I'd definitely be interested and find it useful.