PDA

View Full Version : Engine dies when put in gear

tbmlxstar
08-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Started the boat, warmed up and sounded fine but when I put it in gear to idle out of the slip, it died, repeatedly. It would start right back up with no problem but still did the same thing when put in forward or reverse. I have a 2002 X-Star with an Indmar engine.

Opened the engine and since the boat is new to me, I am not sure what to check out. All gauges read fine, fluid levels good too. Looking at the throttle wire, it looked like it was kinked (at least not straight) somewhat where the bronze bushing attaches to the wire near the air intake, but againk, I am not sure what it is supposed to look like. Should the wire be straight at this point. I also noticed the step motor (?) was winding a cord that was also attached to the throttle wire. Tried one more time and it died again.

Any tips on what I should check out? I hate to take it in but it is a puzzle at this point.

JimN
08-14-2011, 11:34 AM
The easiest way to find out if the throttle cable and Perfect Pass control is making any difference is by removing the throttle cable from the throttle lever. If nothing changes, you have some other issue but if you can move the throttle lever manually with no problems, it would point to the cable and/or the step motor.

I see a lot of corrosion and evidence of water coming over the exhaust hose and on the metal parts for the throttle cable- you'll need to do a thorough inspection to see if anything is binding or damaged.

tbmlxstar
08-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks. What does the step motor do? Regarding the throttle lever, I can take it out of gear and gun the motor easily. I also hear some rattling, which seems to be coming from the transmission but I am not sure.

mtajpa
08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Check and see if you can turn your prop by hand. Maybe it will not turn and that is what is causing it to die when you put it in gear?

BallBushing
08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
If you have a transmission cooler, check the inlet water line going to it for debris. If it's clogged the transmission gets overheated when put in gear & shuts the engine down. Solved my problem & was an easy fix.

JimN
08-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks. What does the step motor do? Regarding the throttle lever, I can take it out of gear and gun the motor easily. I also hear some rattling, which seems to be coming from the transmission but I am not sure.

The step (also called a 'stepper motor') changes position in discreet increments.

Some transmissions make rattling sounds but to really find your problem, remove the throttle cable and see if you can run under power by manually moving the throttle. Do it slowly so you don't accelerate too quickly.

JimN
08-14-2011, 11:53 PM
If you have a transmission cooler, check the inlet water line going to it for debris. If it's clogged the transmission gets overheated when put in gear & shuts the engine down. Solved my problem & was an easy fix.

It doesn't shut the engine down- it limits the RPM to 2000.

BallBushing
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
It shut mine down, zip, zero, nada. Would not even run at idle speed.