PDA

View Full Version : 1970? Mastercraft Skier Restoration

phickman
08-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Picked up a 1970? Mastercraft Skier a few days ago. It has a Chrysler Marine 340 with a BW 1:1. It had been painted a hideous shade of teal at some point in its life. It sits on its original trailer. The boat runs great, little to no vibrations. The 340 with straights that sits half above the water is crazy loud. It appears to be mostly original. Speedos appear to have been changed. I have stripped the teal off and will begin putting her back to here original red hull, white stripe, and white deck. I will keep everyone who is interested updated. Any input is appreciated. We have been digging around is the obscure places for a hull id number, still have not found anything. 1969 is on the casting of the engine. I was very shocked at the quality of the early wake on this boat. Any knowledge on these early boats is appreciated.

03 35th Anniversary
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Is it me or is the pylon really tall?

Good luck on your restore!

phickman
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
It is quite tall, some of the other earlier boats that I have found pictures of are the same way.

Jim@BAWS
08-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I can personally say this is the OLDEST one that I know of besides the one at the factory
Very nice find. You hull ID number should be on the prior registration or title

Look forward to seeing how things progress. The pylon maybe original also. Please add more photos

Jim@BAWS

If you go to GOOGLE.com and look for images your boat comes up. This it for comparion sake
for gel coat themes. I dont think that red/white scheme on yours was original either

phickman
08-13-2011, 11:20 PM
The pylon is original as best we can tell. I new it was something special. I could see the red where it was peeling off. We did not know it had the white band in the middle until we began stripping. Wonder how many boats were made in 1970, I am sure production was still low at that point. Seems like I read on the site that only 53 or 54 boats were made in 1973. I'm sure 70 was a much lower number. I am working on getting a video uploaded that we shot at Parksville Lake the other night. Pretty impressive for an old boat.

phickman
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
In action at Parksville Lake. Good Purchase:)

phickman
08-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Jim, the white band is gel coat for sure.

03 35th Anniversary
08-14-2011, 10:24 AM
That's pretty good for a 41 year old boat!

Anymore pics?

phickman
08-14-2011, 10:54 AM
More photos as requested.

phickman
08-14-2011, 10:58 AM
One last photo

SS LS1
08-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Great find and cool piece of history! :D Good luck on your project. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

phickman
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Upon further inspection of the boat, I may very well ski a set on my old Maharajah and and then another on an old CG El Diablo (not sure if I can say it is fun to ride, you can just say you skied on one) LOL. The old Maha is great. We nicknamed her "Butter".

gid
08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Phickman

Nice find. I have a 1972 - the ski pole looks that same as mine; there should be a hole thru the top of the pole. The dash looks to be exactly like mine except for the plate someone added to mount the speed/tach on top. The engine cover looks a little different, mine is more rounded on the back side.

oxberger
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Awesome find there! Definately looking forward to seeing the pics of the restore. Good luck and everyone here's ready help with any questions.

you could of had a MC
09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I love that red boat , can you tell me if its true that it is MC Hull #1

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=408

mayo93prostar
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
great find, keep us posted of status and pics along the way. hope the stringers are sound. I wonder if the pylon is higher or are the gunnels lower? I know newer boats have higher gunnels than my 93. that pylon looks too shiny to be original, but it may be. interesting to see that there is no swim platform, the exhaust outlets are wider apart because they are outside of the stringers and the speedo pickups are way out wide also.

aquaman
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
great find, keep us posted of status and pics along the way. hope the stringers are sound. I wonder if the pylon is higher or are the gunnels lower? I know newer boats have higher gunnels than my 93. that pylon looks too shiny to be original, but it may be. interesting to see that there is no swim platform, the exhaust outlets are wider apart because they are outside of the stringers and the speedo pickups are way out wide also.

my thoughts exactly.....stringer check is in order.

nice find.

phickman
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I finished up my 1973 Skier a few months ago. I have now started working on the 1970 much more. Before I purchased the 1970 I pulled the floor panels and checked the stringers and the motor mount bolts. They appeared to be solid. Hence the purchase. I pulled the floor last weekend. It had the original floor last weekend. I also did some core samples on each side. I was shocked they cam back solid and not moist. There was a 12 inch section of damp wood and the passenger side by the battery box area in the secondary floor support. This was no shock. I have done this repair on a couple of others. The new floor will be glassed in soon. I am cleaning and painting the engine. New exhaust manifolds will go on soon as well as the Carter AFB is being sent off for rebuild.

The boat runs runs well and skis well. Crazy loud with the Chrysler 340 with straight hoses.

I am stripping the white off the deck The deck should be red with a white accent stripe, sides are red with white band. I found remnants of the original red carpet by the gas tank. I will have the seats redone in the period correct white vinyl. I will decal it as is the boat in the pic. And yes the pylon is original. It is the longer version just like the 1973 boat. It appears many of the earlier boats had the tall one. Anybody know why?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Really cool boat. Would love to hear the story of where you found this diamond in the rough.

phickman
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Local craigslist...guy had it 10 years or so. He said he bought it as a repo from a local boat shop. I am a sucker for the early ones. Ad said 1970 with 340 Chrysler...I knew it was something special. I was shocked that is was complete sans the color change. I figured the stringers would kill the deal for me...I was shocked they checked out. The floor was rotten so i moved pieces around and started beating and pecking. The engine mount bolts were tight too....I started seeing red under the aqua....sealed the deal for me. LOL Below is the AS FOUND pic....Yuck...LOL. Some body worked hard to hid a beautiful boat under that bad paint scheme. LOL

damaged442
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Awesome acquisition!! Can't wait to see the finished product! Well, and of course all the pics in between!

mikeg205
09-15-2012, 11:23 PM
It's gonna be awesome paul...can't wait. Gotta find myself one when the kids are out of college - 5 more years...

mikeg205
12-18-2012, 06:57 PM
any updates?

Jerseydave
12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I'd love to see that boat when it's complete. Any time frame? Location?

Now try to find a '70 red/white Bronco to pull it with! :D

thatsmrmastercraft
12-18-2012, 11:10 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

phickman
12-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Update...all the old paint is stripped off....new floor is going in now. Pictures soon.

east tx skier
12-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice. Can't wait to see it!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Nice. Can't wait to see it!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

phickman
12-23-2012, 03:39 AM
Before and after pics. Note the deck has not been stripped in this pic. It is actually red with a with white stripe. Somebody went to alot of trouble to change this boats colors. All components were there just a full color change. Red hull and deck with a white stripe is the proper scheme. Also the dual speedos mounted on the plexiglass had been added. It is actually a single speedo boat . the original hole had been plated over and switch added. more pics when I can get them off my phone.

phickman
12-23-2012, 03:43 AM
A couple of pics. Also the motorbox is originally white gel and the cover in front of the gas tank is originally white gel. Also we found remnants of original red carpet as well. She will be lovely and loud when finished.

gr82bgreen
07-18-2013, 05:46 PM
A couple of pics. Also the motorbox is originally white gel and the cover in front of the gas tank is originally white gel. Also we found remnants of original red carpet as well. She will be lovely and loud when finished.

Update?