PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Engine still sputtering on occasion towards end of day

Ski-me
08-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Took the girls out for about 5 hours yesterday on a full tank of gas. Did great all day and then got a few random sputters. At first, it was just at take-off. Once I planed out, it ran nicely. About 30 minutes later, I felt it make a few sputters while pulling a skier at constant speed.

I did notice that if I didn't floor it (wot) at the start, I didn't get much of a sputter. But if I gave it wot at the start, I would get the sputter.

Here is what I've done within the past year......
I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the screen at the inlet of the pump.
Installed a new fuel filter and also installed a new, pre-fuel filter at the tank.
When I pulled the tank last year, I cleaned everything including the pickup screen in the tank.

Oh, the main point. When I went to the gas station to fill the tank.....it was HALF FULL! I put in 10.5 gallons of gas to fill it.

It's frustrating that I can only rely on top half of the tank level. Once topped off, it runs just fine in all areas. Full throttle, cruising, etc.

Random.....volt meter reads around 12V or less but could be just inaccurate.

94' LT1.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

03 35th Anniversary
08-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Sound like you might have a crack in your pickup tube in the tank if it runs great on a full tank.

Ski-me
08-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I like this idea and it sounds logical. Good thing I just filled the tank :rolleyes:

Anyways, I did look at a picture from 2009 (below) and I do see a pinch in the lower half of the line. I'll try and burn a little fuel before checking but if it's not too expensive, I might just go and order a new one anyways.

That would be cool if that fixes it.......:)

Ski-me
08-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I went down and got a new line a few days ago and then took the boat out last night. Ran Great! I think that the pinch in the lower section must of interferred with it somehow. I did pull the old tube and blew air into it.....not much of a leak that I could find. Maybe the restriction in the old tube due to the pinch contributed to the fuel flow. I also shortened the new one by about 1/4".

Finding the tube was more difficult than originally thought. I first called BAW's shop and they don't make those tubes anymore. He recommended going to an auto parts store. Tried 3 stores with no luck. Finally got a recommendation to go to a local "bearing and seal" shop where they had the right sized tube. Cost to me - $1.00

Problem fixed as far as I can tell. Drove for about 2 hours last night without one hickup. Nice, cheap fix for sure! :cool: