PDA

View Full Version : L-18 Knock Sensor(s) ??? Code 44 KS1 Inactive

PendO
07-29-2005, 09:51 PM
I have a 2004 X-Star with an L-18, we took the code reader up to the water today (after the local shop closed) ... cleared codes ... at appx 3000 rpm got an error "Code 44 KS1 Inactive" ... stopped ... cleared codes ... disconnected wire from Knock Sensor on passenger side of block ... started up the boat ... got two codes "Code 44 KS1 Inactive" and "Code 44 KS2 Inactive" ... so it appears that my ECM is looking for 2 Knock sensors.

1. Anyone know if the 2004 L-18 has dual knock sensors, and or if the 05/06's have two - or do they all have 2. It would appear that I have a wiring harness, down by the spark plugs on the drivers side that should be plugged in to the Knock Sensor, but there is no knock sensor there ... this problem (check engine light) has been an issue since the first time out this year ... so, guessing that when boat was summerized only 1 knock sensor was put in, and the other side just got a plug where it should have gotten a knock sensor (that, or when the ECM was updated by Indmar last week it was updated to 05/06 spec's looking for a 2nd knock sensor) ... any tech's out there know about that.

My knock sensor has a white end on it, not like the black one the dealer gave me today to take up (thinking that my one and only one may have been bad).

If anyone out there has the L-18 Knock Sensor part number that would be great, or I will wait until next week and get one ordered (or pull the part number off the boat when I head up tomorrow).

Oh well, looks like we are closer to finding the gremlin.

Casey :toast:

PendO
07-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Okay, went to the dealers and pulled a part # off the '05 ... 10456500 ... 254-1F ... NAPA is out, but at least I know what to look for ... also, the 2005 X-Star (L18) at the dealers has 2 knock sensor that I see, so maybe the 04's had 2 KS? Guess our dealer only sold one 2004 with the L18, so that would explain some of the confusion ... have a great weekend everyone, it is 82 degrees at 9:30 AM, so it is gonna get hot today!

Casey

PendO
07-31-2005, 12:59 AM
Stopped at the Chevrolet dealership on the way out of town, they had the Knock Sensor ... got a flashlight out and found a blank hole with SHINY silver threads (fresh from the knock sensor being removed last year from winterization (nice) ... anyway, threaded new knock sensor it, plugged it in ... BOAT IS FREEKIN' PUUURRRRRRRRFECT! To top it off the neighbor at the lake gave me a pull behind his 02 PS190 on evening glass ... what a day!

Casey

prostar205
08-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Sorry I'm a little late responding to this thread - just got back from Spokane and Lake Couer d'Alene. My '02 X30 with the L-18 has 2 knock sensors - one on each side of the engine on the lower part of the block.

Glad to see you got yours fixed.

PendO
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reply ... the dealer was like "really, it has 2 knock sensors" ...hope you enjoyed CDA, we usually try and hit it before and after the season as it gets pretty busy in the summertime ... but is awesome for a drysuit.

Lance McCollum
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
What is it with these knock sensors? There was somebody else on here that had one go bad, I had one go bad after a year. It almost makes me want to carry a spare so when the check engine light comes on I can just change it and not have to take it to the shop. I'm glad I don't have two! Anybody have an idea why they go bad so fast?

Lance