PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Suggestion

dgaugler
08-13-2011, 01:28 AM
I had one of my mufflers baffles come loose so I'm looking to replace them. I called skidim and they recomended the muffler(pn 10710) on the right, so I ordered them. After getting them they don't look like much compared to the old ones. The old one on the left appears to have a much more elaborate baffeling system. I don't think the new ones are near the quality. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recomendations?

I'm afraid to install them and see what they are sound like because I'm leaning towards returning them.

Has any one used these?
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

dgaugler
08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
My boat is a 96 Maristarr 200 VRS with the 285hp engine.

The8Ball
08-13-2011, 01:15 PM
To fit, they need to at least be the same length... Looks like the wrong part. Did you tell them the length of the original? I was going to order replacement mufflers for my boat (ended up patching them), and had to match the lengths.

milehigh970
08-13-2011, 01:24 PM
They don't have to be the same length.. He will just need to use longer peices of exhaust hose.

dgaugler
08-13-2011, 01:39 PM
I was planning on just adding some more hose to make these work. I can't find anything that is the exact same length as the originals, there is some extra room but not a ton for larger mufflers. The originals are 18" long and the new ones are only 10" long. The originals are bigger in diameter as well by an inch and a half or so. I'm not nearly worried about the size as much as I am about the function of the muffler. The originals seem to have a baffle system that would prevent water from rushing up the exhaust and I would also think they would keep the boat quieter. The new ones as you can see really are just a straight through design with a few fiberglass fins. I really don't want it to be any louder than it is currently, and would actually prefer it to be quieter. Doesn't appear to be much for choices on the net for marine mufflers that would work in a v-drive. Still looking for additional options. I might be able to cut the original apart and re-fiberglass the baffle in but I would prefer to just by some new mufflers that made the boat quieter.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Since you have to modify the hoses anyway, I would go with the rex ones, they are stainless steel and wont break like the glass ones will and their only $40 more.

dgaugler
08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
The Rex mufflers are actually cheaper because they are per pair, not each.