PDA

View Full Version : Starter

TCrate
08-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Well I probably know the answer to this question but I know alternators should be marine applicable. Are starters in the same boat. I can find an automotive starter but a starter with a marine designation. i would wait and order Monday but I have a house full of guests coming in starting tomorrow. I dont want to wait to order from SKIDIM or someone else.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Yes starters are marine grade, you gotta do what you gotta do, just don't blow yourself up.:firejump:

milehigh970
08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
If it were me and HAD to i would put the auto in and be running that blower like it was a fat girl after a cup cake eating contest! And i would prop the motor box open when parked so it could pull some fresh air in too. But i would also be on the phone Monday getting the right one!

Cloaked
08-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Heck of a risk of life and limb for an outting to entertain. Statistics have to begin somewhere.

News at 6P... Boat explodes with house full of guests on board....

oldairboater
08-13-2011, 08:10 AM
I would run my blower before cranking the boat and enjoy the day.

1redTA
08-13-2011, 08:26 AM
I unknowingly ran an auto starter on mine for two years but replaced it with a marine. When I went to check the rotation of the starter at ARCO the tech told me I was lucky nothing happened

rjracin240
08-13-2011, 10:01 AM
DBL Electric for economical marine grade starters. On second year of flawless performance of mine

JimN
08-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Well I probably know the answer to this question but I know alternators should be marine applicable. Are starters in the same boat. I can find an automotive starter but a starter with a marine designation. i would wait and order Monday but I have a house full of guests coming in starting tomorrow. I dont want to wait to order from SKIDIM or someone else.

If you're anywhere near a medium-sized city, you should have no problem finding a marine starter without having to mail-order it. NAPA, O'Reilley's and many other parts dealers sell them. They may have to bring it in from a warehouse but that may take a day.

tommcat
08-13-2011, 11:51 AM
jim, i'm curious exactly what the differences between an auto and marine starter(or alternator) are? i'm having my rebuilt right now by a local shop and made it very clear it's a marine starter and needs to remain a marine starter but i was just wondering exactly what they change inside.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Marine starters and alternators are built to prevent internal sparks from reaching the bilge area where combustible fumes might be present, using internal screens and plates that seal them off.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_automobile_engine

JimN
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
jim, i'm curious exactly what the differences between an auto and marine starter(or alternator) are? i'm having my rebuilt right now by a local shop and made it very clear it's a marine starter and needs to remain a marine starter but i was just wondering exactly what they change inside.

Spark suppression mainly, which is required by the Coast Guard. With the typical bilge, combustible fumes are common and boat fires occur more frequently than we probably know.

tommcat
08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Spark suppression mainly, which is required by the Coast Guard. With the typical bilge, combustible fumes are common and boat fires occur more frequently than we probably know.

do you know exactly what they put in a marine starter that's different to accomplish that? i just ask because mine is being rebuilt this week and i want to be sure it's done right.

billr
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Go to ARCO.com and they give good examples of both starters and alternators.

JimN
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
do you know exactly what they put in a marine starter that's different to accomplish that? i just ask because mine is being rebuilt this week and i want to be sure it's done right.

If you look at most starters, they have openings. Marine starters and alternators have a metal screen over the openings.

A good rebuild shop will know what is needed to make it comply with the Coast Guard regs.

tommcat
08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info guys

chawk610
08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Definately go Marine! I just ordered mine for 120.00. Small price to pay for the piece of mind.